2 10w6v2 or 2 12w6v2 (RF Power 1000.1bd amp)

Username: Bc81

Post Number: 1
Whats up everyone? After lurking for a few weeks i finally signed up and am trying to get some advice.
I was all set on putting 2 10w6v2 into my Subaru Legacy but now i am considering 2 12w6v2 instead. I have always had 12s in the past and wanted to change it up but i am not sure. I want SQ/SQL and I listen to all types of music...rock/hip hop/drumb n bass/hardcore. I have been out of the audio game for a while and my friend told me that these JL subs in 12 will hit as crisp and clean as most 10s do and will also give me that deep bang when i want it...he also said that the 10s will play low and deep like 12s haha.
I want the system to be clean but hit hard so i can feel the bass in my chest. I am getting a good deal through a friend (his shop) on the JLs so please no opinions on other subs (even though i am aware of other cheaper subs that will perform as good).

I want to go sealed and it will be powered by an older (around 2002) Rockford Power 1000.1bd.

I did a search and found some sililar posts but they are 3+ years old. If anyone has heard these subs in 10s and 12s or has them please let me know what you think. All input is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 233
90% of the opinions you will get on here is 1) dont choose jl and 2) go with 12's rather than 10's

Post Number: 2
yea i was kind of expecting ppl to say not to get JL but thats why i put that little "no opinions on other subs" line in there haha.
I had JLs back in high school and i want to get them again..just a personal thing and i am getting them much less than cost from my friends shop so thats pretty much my reason for choosing JL.

I was just hoping some ppl had these setups and could give me feedback on the 10 vs 12 thing...

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 771
Why would anyone recommend not to get JL? Unless someone is expecting a SPL set up or their on a super tight budget, there is nothing wrong with getting JL. If you want the most out of the subs, go with the 12s. On the same power, comparing the same subs, the larger diameter is going to move more air and thus give you more output. How vast of a difference? Probably not that much, but if you have room for the 12s, why not get them.

Post Number: 3
I have the room....the sealed set ups for the 10s vs the 12s is not much and i have no probs fitting either into my trunk.
I wanted the 10s because i want that clean, crisp hit that i have heard from 10s in the past. I was just nervous that the 12s would not have that...but as my friend said..these subs are pretty nice for SQ and the 12 should have no prob hitting as clean as a 10...esp in a sealed box.
I had 2 12 kicker solobarics (L7) in my last car..it was loud but not very clean...i wanted to try something different this time and that was another reason for the 10s....
I heard 2 10 w3v3s in a ported box in a SUV and i was not impressed. It sounded clean but was lacking the impact/fullness i am looking for..not sure if the 10w6 would sound much different is another reason why i am thinking about the 12s.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 238
if you listen to hip hop or heavy bass music get 12's

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 772
The w6s will be a massive improvement for SQ over the L7s and should still get plenty loud on 1000 rms.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1578
I have owed both the 10 and the 12. It seemed to me the 12 bumped a little louder. Sound quality wise i have heard both sealed and ported and they are very close. Considering the room you have i would probably go for the twelves. If by some chance they still weren't loud enough for you i would port them. They both sound great sealed or ported. Honesty though depending on the enclosure i wouldn't be surprised if one couldn't tell the difference between the two.

NJ

Post Number: 4
From what i have read, the w6 seems to be a great SQ sub in any size....so i am guessing that the 12 is not some bad sounding, un-tight boomy sub and should hit clean.
I heard a set of Hertz HX 300D at the shop in a sealed box and i thought they sounded great.....they were 12s and hit clean so im sure the JL will too.
I could always try to do something diff and go for the Hertz 12s or 10s but from what i have read i think the JLs are a safer bet...but those HX 300Ds did sound good...esp since it was just in the shop showroom and not even a car.
Ahhhh decisions decisions.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 244
theres one rule bud, JUST DONT MAKE THE WRONG DECISION!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 775
The w6s are going to be some of the best SQ subs you're going to get in that power range. Another sub you could also consider would be IDQ. I'd prefer the JLs but thats me, you may like the IDQs better. Both will do well in sealed or ported enclosures and give you great SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5180
I have a 12 w6v2. Fantastic sub and I got an amazing deal on it.

I personally like the 12" more. It does VERY well with fast/snappy music. I listen to a lot of drum n bass and it's superb. Maybe for your application the 10"s would be better, admittedly since I have 8" woofers in my front doors that handle most of the fast bass.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 170
i have never had 10s but i have had the jlw3v3 sub and a jl w6v2 sub both in 12s, honestly i thought the w3 sounded better than the w6..
I would love to run w3s in my car but im going for an spl system right now.
Just saying i did a blind test with my friend and let him listen to both set ups and he thought the w3 sounded better as well, very very clean on kick drums and double bass, no one note sounds come from the w3, and the w6 as well, but i just prefer the w3

if it was me i would get 2 w3s and pay half price compared to the w6s.
it sounds like you want a clean sounding system, save the money you would by getting the w3s over the w6s and check out some component speakers.
dls makes great speakers in every price range
ive heard good things about re audios xxx comps and all of dynaudio and rainbow.
all of my friends have cheap speakers in their car and alot of bass of course and i cant stand sitting in their cars it sounds so so horrible, now with mine i have dls comps and it sounds wonderful, you hear every little detail sound so clean, and of course i have plenty of bass to blend in with it

NJ

Post Number: 5
i am putting in Hertz HSK 165 components in the front and a set of Hertz coax in the rear doors (powered by another RFP amp). I have heard this set up in 2 cars and loved it both times. Maybe i should just go with the 2 Hertz HX300D too and make it a full Hertz set up....have something different. I am just worried that the HX300D will not sound as good/deep/impactfull as the w6v2. Its hard to find reviews on the Hertz subs as well as someone who has it installed to take a listen to.
The JLs seem like a safe bet.
Anyone ever hear these Hertz HX300D subs...maybe ill open up another topic haha.

...maybe even 3 Hertz HX 250 10s.....hmmmmm

NJ

Post Number: 10
To Jexx....you think that the 12s hit as clean as 10s do? I have been out of the car audio game for a while...back when i used be into it more i always thought of 10s as fast/hard hitting good all around subs and 12s as the low/deep long flat baseline subs.
I listen to eveything and do enjoy very hard hitting deep bass....but i want the accurazy and crisp hits that i am used to older 10s giving.
It appears that subs these days are built much batter and you can get the quick hits and fast reaction i am used to with 10s on 12s....and you can also get that nice deep bass i am used to seeing with 12s from 10s.
I will prob get the 10s...possible put them into a larger then spec box for some more boom.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us