Need a little help with wiring...

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 433
so im hookin up my AQ1200D to my Elemental design 13AV.2... the woofer is a dual 2 ohm. im not quite sure how to wire that up... also. ill be throwin 1200 watts at the thing, so i was wondering what the minimal guage wire i should use from the batt to the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1089
here are your options for wiring
Upload
Upload

here is a power wire chart
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1527
As a minimal size amp wire i would not go any lower then 4 gauge but i would recommend running 0. If the woofer is dual 2 ohm run both the coils in parallel. That would put you at a 1 ohm load, and believe that's where your amp will put out the most power. For the speakers i would probably run 8 gauge.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
thanks kyle. i need the top diagram obviously... now i know the AQ1200 is a mono block... but it has 2 sets of speaker outputs.... does it matter which set i use?

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
ok joe. so your saying run one set of outputs from the amp to one of the coils and the other to the other?

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1529
Well back on that note if you were to do 0 gauge i would get a distribution block. The reason i recommended the 0 is because is seems everyone always wants more in car audio.

I believe with that amp you can run each coil into its own slot on the amp because its wired together inside however im not positive on that so wait until someone else chimes in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
i got some old 9guage and some old 5 guage... would that work?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16295
its not really "2 sets of speaker outputs" - in a regular monoblock amp its connected internally so it does not matter which + or _ u use , its just for added convenience that they put 2+ & 2_ terminals

now they are "Dual-monoblock amps" which will make a difference depending on how u connect ur speaker wires to it but thats NOT the case with ur aq1200d which is a plain ol monoblock ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
so i only need to use "one of the sets" and leave the other open? and wire like the first diagram?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16301
yep...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13564
yup. typical mono amp these days offers two pair of terminals.
wach pair is wired together internally so that it's easier to wire two subs in parallel to the amp. that's all.
pick one pair and use them. ignore the other pair, with only one sub connected to the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
hooked it up yesterday... didnt seem as loud as i had expected... i wired it corectly, checked my connections. it worked for about 3 hours and one of the speaker cords came un-done so i re-did that. my amp says its getting power... connection with the sub is solid. i looked at all the fuses... and now i cant get the woofer to make ANY noise

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13576
if one of the wires came loose, you probably caused a dead short to the amplifier. You may have fried the finals in the amp. It's quite possible you now have a really nice, expensive door stop.

I had that happen with an Orion 280GX once. Sucked. Fuse didn't blow, but the amp did.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us