Sub help!!!

Username: Punkrockkid2010

Post Number: 2
I have a 2010 Mercury Marinier and it has no bass at all!!! I am totally new to this stuff and I want some major bass! Right now I am deciding between
2 Rockford fosgate p1 10'' in a box and a Prime 500w rockford amp or
2 Kicker CVR 10'' in a box and 10D X 500 amp or something like that.

What should I do or if you know of something better please let me know I have a $1000 budget but thats including installing and stuff
THANKS

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 144
well u need to tell us more... such as do u have an aftermarket deck, are u looking to upgrade ur factory speakers, would you be willing to get 12's rather than 10's, ur gonna have to get a 4 gauge kit. It costs roughly 120 for a custom made box, 150-200 for a quality used amp, 200-250 for a quality sub... you should look at an fi car audio Q 12, re audio SX, and u will hear much more from the others.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 140
your better off learning how to install the stuff yourself or look on craigslist and see if you find someone who says they are experienced in installing so you can save some money.
its just not worth in my opinion paying hundreds for someone to install something as simple as an amp and subwoofers.

if you think you can do it yourself, i can help you find much better subs within your budget

Post Number: 3
I would do a line out kit and am probably going to buy new I would be willing to get 12's and I would just keep the regular car speakers as they are said to be premium. I will look at the stuff too.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 146
do you already have an aftermarket head unit? if so whats the make and model

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
well your "premium" speakers are not that great to tell you the truth, but honestly if you were to upgrade speakers it would cost quite a bit of money to get a good sound. I know others will say you need to change your stock speakers, but running components and an amp can be quite expensive, and if you dont want to spend the money on that, its competely fine.
A line out converter is fine, but your much better off buying an aftermarket deck, its just the honest truth, much better eq options, better pre out voltage as well for running amps

what are you thinking you want to buy?
just 12's and a box and amp?
or do you think a deck too? speaker upgrades?
let me know and i can help you choose better subs.

do you think your going to try to wire everything up yourself? let me know if you plan on paying someone 400 dollars to do it, well then your budget drops and i can only recommend cheaper gear to stay within your budget

Post Number: 4
Its not an aftermarket but its this http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200903/2009-mercury-mariner-22_460x0w.jpg

See im new to this stuff.... I has a small amp under the seat with speaker wires.
I probably wont wire it myself but has a friend that would do it for like $40
I am just going to keep the deck thats in it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
ya the line out converter is to keep your stock deck in. im on the same page as you.
i would recommend using a 4 ga wire kit. order from knukonceptz dont go to best buy and waste your money.

the amp under your seat is the cars stock amp to power your premium system, im guessing you would have like 6.5 inch speakers in each door and tiny speakers called tweeters up higher in the doors or even on the dash. that amp just powers those.

so are you looking at upgrading speakers? or do you just want subs amp and box?

Post Number: 5
just subs amp and box

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
ok for subs i am going to recommend you this
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RE-AUDIO-SEX12D4-SEX-12-D4-1200w-SUBWOOFER-SEX12-/390182 952749?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item5ad8b75f2d
offer 140 and you should get it, if they dont accept 140 im sure they will accept 150.
buy 2 of those, they have to be that model which is the 4 ohm dual voice coil. it will allow you to wire 2 of them down to 1 ohm, ill explain later what that means.
I know you have probably never heard of the company but I will tell you it is much much better than kicker, rockford fosgate, kenwood. ect and cheaper than going to an audio store to buy it.
now for a box we can either find one and buy it, or you can find someone to build you one, or you can build one yourself. let me know.
for an amp i suggest this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D180507195120&ssPageName=S TRK:MEWAX:IT

its a sundown audio, also something you have probably never heard of, but it is a high quality amp and will work wonderfully with those subs
because those subs are dvc 4 ohm we can wire them up to get the max performance from this amp at 1 ohm
i honestly think with the size of your car your alternator will be big enough to power this without trouble
that should have your total for subs and amp around 600-615 which is not bad for brand new equipment with full warranties
im guessing the wire kit should be around 60 and your line out converter is around 30-60 depending where you get it
thats around 735, we can find a good box for around 150 or less which would mean you should be at 885 at most but probably under
now doing all this will mean that you will need to spend some time putting everything together but if you have someone run your wires for you, all you will really need to do is wire the subs up, put them in the box and wire your amp up.
shouldnt be too hard and if you pay your buddy to help you, you will be under $1000 with some major major bass which is what you were looking for.

let me know what you think. of course we are always here to help if you do decide to go this route to help you get everything figured out if you have questions and are stuck.

like i said this is going to take some time on your end but i promise you the results will be soo much better than if you bought some stuff at an audio store and paid them a few hundred just too hook it all up for you
and you never know, you may find you really enjoy car audio and want to save some extra money to invest in better speakers, and i can help you do that as well

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13555
two CVR subs in a vented box, Audioque AQ1200D amp (get the subs with dual 4 ohm coils each) and an adapter like the PAC OEM-1 line converter to adapt the factory stereo to RCA outputs for a sub amp.

done

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
the cvr's cant compare to the re audios, if you have the money just spend a little extra for the re's. also the aq is a good choice as well i believe its 249 compared to 315, the sundown is better but not by much. whatever you feel will work better for you

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13560
I was just aiming for cheap :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us