---fixed box----

Bronze Member
Username: Itatum

Post Number: 42
i have a speaker box that is 1.3 cu. ft. before anything was installed in it. so i plugged the big hole i cut in the top of my box. So now I put an aero? port in.Its 3" in diameter and the guy i bought it from said to make it about 5.75" long.
Just wondering if that sounds right to yall.
its a 12" sub in the box.
the sub is rated at 35 fz or fhz something like that.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1070
that just does not seem right to me. it sounds like the box would be tuned to to the high 40's when you are probably going to want something in the mid 30's. what is the subwoofer that you are using and could i see a picture of what you have done to the box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
speakers were giving to me.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 123
whats SS?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8032
Autotek super sport

build a new box, you will see far better performance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1074
this woofer has me scratching my head with the enclosure sizes that autotek recommends.
regardless you would want to build a box to be about 2.15 cubic feet before port and driver displacement. the port would remain 5.75 inches and the box would be tunes to 37 hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13494
port diameter is too small, box is too small.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
so should i wait to get my new subs, and get them with boxes that will work for them??

I would like to get a box or two boxes that i could use different subs in them.

There is nothing i can do to make what i have work or at least be in the ball park????

im kinda out of room in the trunk i dont think i could fit two boxes that are 2.15 cubic feet. What are my options??

thanks for the comments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
if you have space limitations you might want to consider making sealed boxes for the new subs that you are getting. that would be your best option.

what do you mean by getting a box that you could use different subs in? you mean like take one sub out of the box and put in a different sub in the same box?
it is possible that it could work but its also possible that the two subs would need different box sizes and tuning frequencies.
i would say just stick with using one sub.

as for making what you have be at least in the ballpark, im not so sure that is going to work. generally manufactures recommend smaller box sizes for a sealed box compared to a ported box but for the sub that you have the sealed box recommendation is also 2 cubic feet. it looks like your box is too small either way.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13514
1.3ft^3 for a 12" sub?
The ONLY way that box will work for a 12" sub is sealed. No port.

A ported box for 12" subs would require 1.8-2.2ft^3 per sub after driver and port displacement.

the way to make your box work for now is to caulk and seal up the hole you cut in it and just leave it sealed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
They seemed to sound a little different when the boxes were sealed .Looks like i screwed them up again.Looks like ill just have to get some bigger enclosure's.

this isn't as fun when it actually costs me money. Most of my system has been free.

thanks for all the help, really appreciate it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us