01 Tahoe Dash swap

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2232
I drive an 01 tahoe, I had an older Alpine single din. I don't have the exact model number, (9831,9813, something like that- upper end model maybe 5 years back). It doesn't matter because it was crapping out on me. The Ipod connection sucks since you have to actually use the ipod to select songs, and the cd motor died.

I decided to install a double din, which I could either fiberglass the dash, or go with full factory. The following are the step (I'm sorry I didn't take pics) to do the swap:

1. Visit a junk yard and pull the dash bezel (easy to remove trim piece) and a/c control/cd player mounting pocket. The pocket is held in place with 4 7mm screws and 2 rivets- you can punch the rivets out with a hammer and screw driver. I couldn't find a dash bezel that matched my interior, so I just got a blue one off an 05 silverado.

2. Remove these parts from you dash. Below the a/c controls there is a small lip of black plastic that is part of the dash- but is concealed normally. Trim this down to allow the lower placement of the a/c controls.

3. There is a metal bracket that sits behind the cd player, remove as much as possible to allow the new double din to fit.

4. Trim the lower right corner of the new dash pocket to fit, it rubs slightly preventing things from going wide enough to fit the older a/c controls.

5. Bolt the pocket in place, using 3/8" spacers on the lower two mounting bolts to give it a bit of an upward angle. This is necessary to fit flush.

6. Then put 3/8" spacers behind the a/c controls when fastening.

7. Finally install the double-din with 03+ dash kit. Simple as that.

With trimming expect 3 hours or so install time, and a factory appearance.

Before:
Upload

After:
Upload

I was going to take more pictures, but I figured there's no way of pinning helpful threads here anyway, but hopefully it'll save some people some time and effort to have it broken down like this. Cheaper to have a double din than a flip out when comparing functions.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7676
nice

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3126
i prefer the double din much more than the flip outs. lot cleaner IMO. looks sexy Troy Upload as if it's oem.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2234
Thanks, yeah after several issues with flip outs in the mail I realized they probably won't hold up well in a 150+ db environment as well. I use a lot of cds too- just prefer to buy real media than download mp3s.

The hardest part for me was finding parts since there's 1 junk yard in like 50 miles. I'll be 'glassing part of the center console soon too, that'll come along with the quad bracket to house the vcm:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I'll try to keep this thread up since I lost my build thread.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5307
Very nice install. Looks clean.
That volt meter will nice there.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 463
troy all ways does nice work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »