Sub too boomy, in the wrong way..

Silver Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 117
I am currently running a 15" alpha in a 3.5 cu ft box, tuned to 34 hz, 50 sq in of port area. Sounds good, mostly on rap though, and I listen to more rock than anything else. I was wondering if I would get peakier sound by any combination of the following:

Going to a slightly smaller box
Less port area
Higher tuning

or if I should just go sealed..

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 668
If your sub is sounding too "boomy" to you its probably due to the box being on the rather large side. What happens is you get good low end, like for rap and such and lose out on the mid, to upper bass. A smaller ported enclosure, would help the sub to still remain loud but keep the bass a little tigher, helping with the mid to upper bass. Going sealed will definitely help make the sub more punchier for your rock music, but may quiet it down too much if you've became used to how it sounds now.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13413
I'd go sealed or tune lower actually. try 28Hz. maybe reduce the box volume to as little as 3.0ft^3

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 922
Less box volume more hz tuned. Go with your sub specs tuned to 35 hz for rock. 15 inch subs arent meant for rock, dont get me wrong you can get them decent but you would be better off with two 12's tuned at 32hz

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13419
Pimp, what makes you say that? What does the driver diameter have to do with any of this?

A fifteen will do just fine for rock. You just need a fifteen inch sub with a good BL, and preferably sealed, maybe with a high Qts.

Silver Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 118
Thanks for your time guys.
GW:
You run an 18" Fi Q, right? How much power, what box, and what do you listen to?

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13429
it's in a sealed enclosure, 4ft^3, driven by an Orion 2250SX bridged @ 4 ohms, so 1200+ watts RMS @ 14.4VDC. n The sub is in the back of a 1966 dodge charger.

I listen to quite a bit of stuff, really. classic rock, some top 40, a bit of classical, jazz, folk and indie some rap, but mostly old school stuff like NWA and Public Enemy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us