Stupid Cops

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 85
Got a $200 sound ordinance ticket from the law today... anyone have any advice on fighting these? if possible.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1589
I would Say honestly i got caught up in the moment and didn't think it was to loud. I also didn't think i was bothering anyone because i thought most of the noise was in my car. Then say i promise it wont happen again.

At the appeal the same officer is never usually there. They just go by what the officer wrote in his report so if you were polite he probably didn't bad mouth you and describe the situation good.

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1207
Atleast you have a reason why they pull you over, i get pulled over all the time for driving while mexican......

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 86
Julian = rofl

Well when the officer came up to me, at first did his blah blah about my sub, then was like i detect an odor of happygrass coming from your car. And i quit smoking sometime ago and have smoked maybe an 8th total in my car in the 6 months i owned it. And i just said no you dont, i dont even smoke weed, he was assuming becuase i was listening to rap and had my had backwards. idk when is the appeal, is that after i go in on the date the ticket has on it, or is it on that date?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2267
show up early on that date & time- others will be there before you. Be prepared to defend yourself then.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1565
I think the lesson to be learned here is to stop wearing your hat backwards and stop listening to rap "music".

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 87
troy/joe - thanks for the help.

Phil - I don't listen to rap for the lyrics usually, i like instrumentals more than i like rap, i listen to everything, and for my hat being backwards suck a tittieee!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1591
Here in mass you have to send you ticket in. Then you will get a hearing date in the mail. The morning of the hearing you must pay 25 bucks to see the clerk magistrate for filing fees (since they did away with all the filing cabinets due to computers u know). If the clerk finds you guilty you must pay 50 bucks to appeal her decision and further things in front of a judge(this is where you hire an attorney). I'm not sure what the laws are where you live but i know that radio tickets are driving infractions where im from. They will take you license for window tint to.

Either way its always worth a shot at the appeal. dress nice with a tie and act very respectful(yes sir and no sir, or ma'am). This method has always worked for me.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1566
Instrumentals? the majority of rap music is made up of cheap synthesizers and midi devices. those aren't instruments. If there is any reason to listen to rap it would be the lyrics. i.e. saul williams, k'naan.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 88
It is a non moving violation in iowa, and here for tickets and stuff i think you just go in and wait for your name to be called at the court house then talk to a judge and they will be nice about it prolly/hopefully, should i mention the cop asking about me smoking happygrass and saying he smelled it and stuff or is that a bad idea?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1593
I wouldn't, the last thing you want to do is start an argument. just be polite and throw the charm on them. As a wise man once told me("my good friend all you have to do is play the violin"). Basically tell them what they want to hear. No excuses and no lie that they can catch you in.

Most would think that in that setting the officer is always right but a lot of people would be surprised. At least where im from you have just as good of a chance as the officer.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 538
i had a cop walk up on me to day and he just told me to turn it down, its a 50$ ticket, and the nabors where complaining. (waiting to pick my g/f up from her night class.) he had a big goofy grin on his face.

do what you can to look good. i have gotten out of a 33 over in a construction zone just by looking pathetic and saying i had IBS and was racing to take a sh1t, even had my doc wright me a note.

and i have a slew of tickets for 20+, none on record... but hey its ATL.

as others said yes ma'am no ma'am or sir.

button down shirt, paints, belt, socks, shoes, nice hair cut, clean shaven, ect. tickets have become the only reason i get hair cuts now a day.

maybe say you will start "sound proofing" your car if he asks what you are going to do in the future.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 787
Good luck getting out of the ticket. Tickets equal revenue. That's their job. I've gotten two noise ordinances in the past and had to pay both. I don't think mine was $200 though, court costs was over double the cost of the actual fine. First was when I was around 18 and had my brother and his friends in my car just being stupid. Came around a corner and the cops were sitting at the stop sign taking radar on the following road. No way out of that one. Second one I dont even feel I was playing my music that loud, but a cop was on a bike and I was stopped at a red light. He rolled up next to me and asked for my information. I was like WTF? Total BS. The mute button on Alpine decks come in handy though.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16356
[[[I think the lesson to be learned here is to stop wearing your hat backwards and stop listening to rap "music".]]]]

Bronze Member
Username: Justgotthelz

Post Number: 13
here in the suburbs of illinois there is a date of a hearing on your ticket. basically you go and theres a bunch of other people with seat belt tickets and stuff. then you just go up to the judge and explain what happened. it seems like they decide before you even get there though... at least for me. but try to get there early because there will probably be a lot of people there.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 185
^x2 theres going to be a ton of people there. the last time i had to pay a ticket was for wreckless driving that was bumped down to careless driving seems how i was 17 and they would have had to pull my license.

i had to wait for like 2 hours, it was total bs..... and it was for a burnout at my high school. they called the cops and measured it and everything. i even ended up going to jail over it because the school didnt tell me they pressed charges. i had a bench warrant out. i couldnt believe it.....bottem line is i hate cops.....

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 89
Lol, yeah I think ive been to this before, people are there for everything and anything around here, and its bs because half the people are arguing with the judges waisting everyones time, and i think there are like 3 or 4 there every morning for these kinds of things. I think i am just going to dress nice and stuff, also tell him that i had just got my license back 10 minutes before, witch i did, and was excited to drive, and i didnt feel as if my music was too loud, and that i have already purchased sound deadener previous to that, but was waiting till i got my license back to install or something along those lines.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4323
sucks. ive had the cops at my house multiple times. they just tell me to turn it down. or usually ill see them circling around to find where its coming from and i stop and pack it up lol.guess my neighbors dont like 160s as much as i do :/ but i have to test or i dont get any louder.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 90
" neighbors dont like the 160s as much as i do"
rofl

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22880
In today's world the local and state police are ramping up across the board in bringing in revenue. State budgets are being slashed all across the country and they are scrambling to compensate. In NJ if you possess a CDL and are caught texting while driving it's a $2300 fine. Violation of noise ordinances down the shore carry up to a $2000 fine and routine roadside stops are becoming almost a daily thing. Some cops are already pizzed because of their OT being taken so it won't take much if anything for them to find something they can ticket you for. I recently got a ticket for using my cell while driving. I wasn't actually using it but checking the time. Didn't matter to the cop. The violation is called "cell phone use" so as long as a cop sees you holding one they slam you for it. I was like "dude, I was just checking the time, I don't think that deserves a $100 fine." Cop laughed when he handed me the ticket. He also told me it wasn't worth fighting because the judge NEVER reverses tickets like these. An average cop will write 15/day here.

It's all about $$$.

Ironically the system doesn't want you to behave. It can't survive without the gross revenue fines and penalties bring the state. If everyone obeyed speed limit laws, always carried their proper credentials, never drank and drove or used drugs, talked on their cell while driving, ect, then it would force taxes to double creating chaos. It would ultimately force them to keep changing the rules in order to catch you breaking a law. Just like noise ordinances. Without recordable instruments just how can a cop prove your listening level was deemed offensive to others? Nail the dude with the tunes but not the guy on the Harley with the drilled out pipes? That's selective enforcement and it's wrong.

But it's also paying the bills.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 788
I agree alot with that theory. It makes sense, everything in life revolves around money. The system is a busniess just like any other. Whats more irritating to me is not only if you get a speeding ticket you have to pay the fine, then your insurance goes up for 3 years. That simple short burst of revenue for them turns into 3 years of loss for you, the driver. That in turn makes insurance companies more money, which is just a continous cycle. I drive a lot though and watch how people drive all the time. Its rather annoying but Ive learned to take enjoyment in it. Youd be surprised at how much of a risk people will put themselves and their car in just to gain a couple car lengths on a highway, or even around town. They'll cut me off, go flying by, then the next stop light I'm caught right back up to them, passing some of the people myself without even speeding. I also like how people will park across a lane of oncoming traffic rather than staying parked at a stop sign, backing up traffic. Genious. Those people deserve the fines..

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 91
Paul - yeah that makes total sense, this doesn't have to do with anything relating to sound tickets, but i heard a new law in iowa that passed a few days ago, that cops dont have to clock you, if they think that you are speeding they can pull you over and cite you for it.... how much bs is that?

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 92
Paul - yeah that makes total sense, this doesn't have to do with anything relating to sound tickets, but i heard a new law in iowa that passed a few days ago, that cops dont have to clock you, if they think that you are speeding they can pull you over and cite you for it.... how much bs is that?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22881
Seat belt laws make sense. They are there to protect you. Up until a few years ago it wasn't considered a "primary" offense, meaning the cop can't use it as a reason to pull you over. Today however it's an obscure tactic the police use. The cop simply needs to state he thought he didn't see your belt on to pull you over and run you through the normal routine of shaking you up to reveal an infraction worthy of some sort of fine. Teenagers with rich parents are the last to care about their actions and they know exactly how to isolate you into making a mistake. You have rights and they now how far they can go before they break them. Simply put when pulled over:

1) ALWAYS keep your hands in clear sight when approached.
2) Answer all questions politely and promptly.
3) Never offer information that may incriminate you. (Meaning if you have 2 joints in your backpack don't offer that info to them). They need reasonable cause for a search so if it's out of sight they have no cause.
4) A badge does NOT give him the right to violate yours. Simply and politely refuse consent to any searches. They have to show just cause to a judge before a search warrant can be issued. Now if your ride smells of reefer and full of beer cans you're screwed. Keep the sh1t in the trunk.
5) No matter how cool the officer may seem remember he will ALWAYS be on his side and won't do you any favors. Warnings are about out the window today so if he pulled you over he's got a reason and will use it to uncover everything he can about you, your passengers, your vehicle and its' contents. Just act respectful and get yourself out of the situation before you face a grand in fines and your ride in impound.

That's a bad day.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 419
FTP

Bronze Member
Username: Gibnihtmus

Post Number: 11
Well im in highschool and i got a ticket like urs it was 212 for me. and i went to court and the judge let me off. she made me do 15 hours community and an essay

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 94
15 hours and an essay fuckkkk. im 20 so i dont know if that is going to fly for me

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13758

http://www.termpro.com/articles/noiselaw.html

Read these, OP.
Spend the money to hire a lawyer. It's the only real shot you have at winning your case.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us