Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 428
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-381

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13326
The class D amplifier (known as digital amplifier) is the last of the solid-state types. These amplifiers are not really digital (there is no such thing), but operate similarly in manner to a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). The signal that comes in is sampled a high rates, and then reconstructed at higher power. This type of amplifier produces almost no heat and is very small in size. Efficiency is much higher in class D amplifiers (~80%).
The sound quality of a Class-D amplifier is much lower than that of other solid-state amplifiers, which is why Class-D amplifiers are only used for subwoofers in car audio. This is because the switching speed of the transistors, and lower sound quality are masked by the lower frequencies being reproduced by the subs, since distortion is harder to discern at low frequency.

other variations on a theme:

Class T: Class T (Tripath) is similar to class D with these exceptions: This class does not use analog feed back like its class D cousin. The feedback is digital and is taken ahead of the output filter, avoiding the phase shift of this filter. Because class D or T amplifier distortion arises from timing errors, the class T amplifier feeds back timing information. The other distinction is that this amplifier uses a digital signal processor to convert the analog input to a PWM signal and process the feedback information. The processor looks at the feedback information and makes timing adjustments. Because the feedback loop does not include the output filter, the class T amplifier is inherently more stable and can operate over the full audio band. Most listeners can not hear the difference between class T and good class AB designs. Both class D and T designs share one problem: they consume extra power at idle. Because the high frequency waveform is present at all times, even when there is no audio present, the amplifiers generate some residual heat. Some of these amplifiers actually turn off in the absence of music, and can be annoying if there is too much delay turning back on.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 431
uhmmm i was talking more bought the surface mount speaker pods.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5137
haha, I would have thought you were talking about the amp as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Rosrock

Post Number: 59
GOD DANG THIS GLASSWOLF GUY IS A GENIUS OR SOMETHING

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 434
hes an EE.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13331
actually my IQ only puts me at "gifted" not "genius." hehe

I am borderline "highly gifted" though!

I've seen those resonators before. They're pretty neat. I've seen some for use in offices with big pane glass windows, or in showers with glass doors etc, so you can turn the whole glass pane into a speaker for a radio. Neat stuff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us