Feedback through my highs and subs

Username: Hozer91284

Post Number: 2
i have been running an older soundstream reference 405s amplifier to my 2 audiopipe 15's and ive never had a problem until recently i got a new car and i can literally hear my car running through my speakers idk what to do ive double checked my ground went and bought the rockford double twisted rca wires checked my charging system went over all my connections and like i was sayin its only when its running when the car is off its crystal clear im stumped help me out!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13093
turn down teh gain on teh amplifier(s)
yo're getting feedback from over driving the input stage of the amplifier most likely.

the other possibility is a bad ground on the head unit. don't use the factory ground wire in the wiring harness. Use a chassis ground point of your choosing instead and see if this corrects the alternator whine you're hearing.

Post Number: 3
Ok thanx ill try turning it down but by the head unit r u talkin about the deck im not familiar with the term.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13098
no no
look at the amplifier(s)
there is a setting (a dial) on the side of the amp labeled "input sensitivity" or "gain"
turn that all the way down, then turn it up about 1/4 turn. That's a good starting point. People often turn it all the way up to "get more power" out of the amp. What they actually do is overdrive the amplifier's input stage and cause the amplifier to clip and damage the speakers. Turn the gain down and see if the noise improves.

Post Number: 5
nah man sorry i worded it wrong i know what the gain is u said i could have a bad ground on the head unit im not familiar with the term head unit r u refering to the ground on the back of the deck?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13102
yeah
head unit
deck
radio
source

whatever ya want to call it
same same
pull the deck out, and find a good chassis (bare metal) ground point instead of using the ground wire in teh factory wiring harnesses. A lot of times those harness wires are about 30' long, and get routed some bad places, like by ignition coil circuits which induce noise into the system.

Post Number: 6
cool thanx for the info ill try it and let u know if it works out

Post Number: 9
yeah man i did both things u suggested and it seemed to work a little for my subs, but i cant even hook up my highs amp i have to run my highs off the deck which sounds like crap cause they distort every time the bass gets really low, And this is due to the fact that the whineing is so bad its unbearable until u turn i up loud enough that it drowns it out. Any other possibilitys u can think of would b greatly appreciated.I guess thats another thing it doesnt whine through the deck channels only off of components recieving info from the rca's and its a brand new pioneer super tuner deck so i dont think its the outputs.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13116
it is possible the pre-out section of your head unit is damaged. If you have any friends with a head unit you could borrow briefly to test that out, you could swap out the radio real quick to see if it still happens.

Otherwise, if the gain on each amp is turned down and not causing the problem, then the amplifiers may be damaged. The ground points are good you said? to bare metal?

One other possibility: Your signal or power wires (RCA or large power lines) may be run close to an ignition source from the engine, or near a crossover module. These sources will induce EM or RF interference into your signal path.
To test that, you'd need to run a length or RCA lines, and/or power wire away from everything (not routed in the car) to see.
RCA lines from radio to amps out in the open, and power wire just from battery to amp laying out. not near anything else.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13117
I'm leaning away from a pinned or damaged RCA cable because you have this on every amped channel, not just one.

PS if you want a quick and dirty way to test the radio, use an iPod or similar, and get a headphone phono jack to twin RCA jack cord and go from the headphone jack straight to the RCA lines to your amplifiers.

you can also go from iPod directly into the amps, too. This is a quick way to eliminate portions of the system.

Post Number: 10
alright man thanx again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us