Could I have gotten better for my money?

Username: Pedey8

Post Number: 4
HI, I recently purchased 2 12" Kicker L5s with a kicker ZX1500.1 mono amp. I paid 1000 for all of that and i was wondering if for that money, could I have found better sound? i dont need ear piercing sound but I do enjoy nice bass.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12803
if you're happy with what you have, then that's all that really matters.

Post Number: 5
well I'm jsut wondering for that money if I couldve gotten better sound quality and more bass?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 478
How much bass you get will depend on your enclosure. If you're looking to get the most out of your box I would have someone experienced craft you a custom enclosure, unless you're good with tools and want to try it yourself. There is a guy on the forum who makes great enclosures for people. It looks like the subs go for around 200 each online and the amp around 450 so you did ok. For the money the L5's will give you plenty of bass and kicker makes a nice amp, so you did well.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7553
To answer your question. Yes, you could have done a lot better.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12812
Honestly? Yes you could have done better. I really do not like square subs, and the L5 line are at the bottom of that list. They have numerous design issues, and their SQ is bottom rung. The amp however, is very nice.

Personally, if you wanted good SQ, and a lot of output with that amp, you could have spent $350, and bought a single Fi Q18 18" sub. Far superior SQ, and probably very similar SPL output. Fi's SSD sub would have probably given more SPL with only a bit less SPL at high excursion as well, and I believe the SSD also comes in 18", or even a pair of 15"

www.ficaraudio.com

check em out

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 338
You could of got everything for that money, just as louder, if not louder, with better sound quality.

Question, why did you buy then ask, if you could of got better.

Post Number: 6
because at the time it looked like a good deal.. and ive been lookin on these forums lately.. and well honestly..you all have way more knowledge then i do.. so i thought i would ask.. i think that i could probably sell the subs.. im gonna inquire into fic subs...

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12817
Don't feel too badly, really. What you have isn't "junk" per se. You just could have done better with some help. At least you didn't go all Sony or Audiobahn or something

Post Number: 7
what do you figure a pair of 15" SSDs would cost me?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12827
starting at $199 each

prices are right on the site.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154bbc1ecada9cf/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Post Number: 8
for my amp what would i want? Dual 1ohm or Dual 2 ohm? And would the flat wind coil and BP power be worth the extra money?
BTW thank you very much for your help

Post Number: 9
also wat is the QTS... to be honest a lot of this stuff is way over my head..

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 481
If the amp is 1 ohm stable you want to get 2 dual 1 ohm woofers. If it does the 1500 rms at 2 ohm then you want to go with 2 dual 2 ohm woofers.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 482
As far as the sound, what are you going for? Generally there is SPL, then SQ. You can also shoot for SQL. If you want sound quality but still want to go loud a single Fi Q would do good on your amp. Depending on how much space you have available will determine how large of a sub to get. If you do a single 15 or even an 18 in a ported enclosure, that sub will get plenty loud for you. If however all you are shooting for is pure bass, SPL, the subs you have will do the trick just fine. The SSDs are going to be more of an all around type sub, good for being a daily driver. The exact type of sound you are going to get can be controled by if you go sealed or ported and what you tune the port to.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12829
Regarding the options on the SSD subs, either read what each option offers you, or e-mail the guys at Fi and ask them. Tell them what you have, and your goals, and they can suggest the best product to fit your needs.

As for T/S specs, here:

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/thielesmall.html

Username: Callmemrbunnz

Post Number: 5
im sure u could have gotten L7s or the kicker CVX *same power rating but round* with an amp for under 1k. my brother had a set ported and said they were louder then our older brothers 4 kicker vr 12s. i think he paid around 650 or so for his setup minus radio and all

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12955
power rating doesn't really mean anything.
how loud the sub will get is more a factor of the driver's Xmax/Mag, cone area, and sensitivity, as well as the enclosure efficiency/response curve.

The CVX is a nice sub. The L7 is not.

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 350
Sorry to thread jack.

Glass, how is the Good,Bad,Ugly list coming along?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12962
finished updating it yesterday and posted the updated list to the thread about it. Nobody commented. I'll bump it again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us