Does anyone know if this amp is any good?

Bronze Member
Username: Andy614

Post Number: 29
JL Audio 500/1...

i have 2 12' dual ( i know they suck but im about to get kickers so dont worry about the subs) subwoofers and im wanting a good quality amp that is loud as possible lol

Username: The_madman

Post Number: 2
Loud is relative. The efficiency of the space , ported or not ported , the THD of the amp , the THD of the original signal are all bearing factors on "loud". 12 inch Duals are nice subs in the $30ea range. Put 100 clean watts to each and youd have some decent thump , hoping youd have a good box to go with. A $1000 worth of parts still sounds like a transistor radio without good harmonics. Build a killer box dude.
Without getting into too much science or math here , or preaching quality over quantity , Id suggest hitting the amazon site searching for a nice mid quality amp in the $150 range with 5-700 watts rating. Later when you blow up those speaks , buy some with double the amplifiers wattage rating . BOOOOOM !

Username: The_madman

Post Number: 3
Oh , and that amp is pretty damn nice.
JL Audio 500/1

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12631
a few things.
THD is a pretty meaningless spec overall in car audio, since a speaker produces more distortiion than any properly tuned amplifier will ever make, and THD specs are in the .1-.001% range, whereas audible distortion in a subwoofer doesn't begin till around 10%.
That said, what does matter is setting the input sensitivity on the amplifier correctly so you don't overdrive the input stage of the amp, and cause the signal to clip. That will actually dmage speakers.

That aside, if you're upgrading subs, look at the Alpine Type R. I prever it to the Kicker CVR line, and if you're loking at an L5 or L7, I'd relly suggest you look elsewhere, like the Fi SSD, or DD, MMATS, etc. Far better SPL subs out there for the same money.

doubling the power of an amp isn't going to increase output by more than about +3dB. To double the audible volume, you actually have to increase the power by tenfold. It's better to just look for more sensitive drivers, or build an enclosure with more gain if you ened more output. Just a thought.

The JL 500/1 is an outstanding amplifier, but do be aware that it has both a tightly regulated power supply, and a regulated output.
This means no matter what input voltage you feed it between about 10-15 volts, your output will stay the same.
This also means that having a regulated output stage, no matter what load you feed the amplifier, between 1..5-8 ohms, the output power remains the same. 500 watts.
So, 500 watts into a single 2 ohm sub, or a single 4 ohm sub, or 250 watts each into a pair of 4 ohm subs, or a pair of 2 ohm subs.. doesn't matter. same power no matter what.

If you want an amp that puts out more power with a lower load presented, look at other amps, like a Kicker KX1000.1 or something.

Bronze Member
Username: Kissdaredevil

Post Number: 81
I don't think jl audio makes a bad amp

Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 2
Owned that amp for about a month. Had it on Alpine Type R's. It seemed like a great amp but i never gave it enough time to show me anything different. I went louder. I guess id recommend it myself for daily listening. The subs however... id aim in a diff direction. Ur putting shiny chrome rims on a Rusty buick skylark with that one. Good luck

Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 3
no offense to anyones grandmother and her daily driver :D

Username: Pureaudio90

Post Number: 1
Andy, if you want a nice amp get a elemental design NiNE1.i have one and it is without a doubt the best amp i have ever had.it is a beast of anamp and will push anything you hook it up to..promise you this

Bronze Member
Username: Andy614

Post Number: 39
how many RMS watts is it and what is the price range on one?

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 334
JL500/1 is a good amp of quailty, but them damn prices are so high, new or used.

If going with kicker for subs, check out the CVR/CVX.

The ED Nine.1 is 1200x1 at 1ohm $350.

How much power do you plan to run when you get kicker subs?

Budget for amp?new or used
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us