Stopping Rear View Mirror Rattling

Gold Member
Username: Cplaya280

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1008
My car rattles like crazy and it annoys me the most on the rear view mirror if i hold the mirror with my hand it stops the rattling but as soon as i let go of the mirror it rattles like crazy and its annoying is there anything I can do to stop the rattling without taking the mirror off

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1009
bump

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 209
turn the subs down...

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2014
if it annoys you that much - i would probably take it off....they are useless when music is on anyways

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15837
is there is a tension screw behind it then tighten it up ...

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 384
you can use a longer screw and just tighten the piss out of it.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 201
sounds like personal problems to me... and i agree with Daniel Bonham.

Silver Member

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 386
You can get flicked if you dont have your mirror on when your driving..

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2015
what does flicked mean?

in michigan - you only need sideviews, or a rear view

one or the other

michigan is pretty lax when it comes to vechicles

we dont have yearly checks and all that jazz

Silver Member

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 387
Means pulled over.

I lived in detroit and got flicked because i didnt have one on

Idk how traverse city is tho, and yeah.. emissions fu**ing blows hard.. i took my truck from there to AZ and had to do SO MUCH SH!T just to pass.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4233
here is a simple fix that worked for me. I no longer use it because i can't see out of it due to box height.

This fix only works if your mirror stays attached and pionts downwards when bass hits.

remove mirror from windshield.
use a large screw, or bolt approx 3 inches long and a hose clamp big enough to fit around the mirrors mount arm and bolt.
undo the hose clamp and wrap it around the mount arm and bolt and start to tighten the clamp leaving it loose enought to adjust the bolt as needed. Now reattach the mirror to windshield. Now adjust the mirror to the needed usable spot... The bolt should be aligned directly underneath the arm at this point. Now adjust the bolt to where it touches the bottom of the rear of the mirror at the mirrors adjusted position. Now tighten the hose clamp. If done correctly the mirror will not go down for any reason due to the bolt hitting the rear of the mirror. Hope that makes sense...

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10633
usually the rear view in newer vehicles mounts to a swivel knob that rotates 90 degrees in one direction and then it can be umounted. if you take it off and stuff some sound deadener goo(the black stuff off of a piece of sound deadener) onto the rearview mount piece, and then forcefully mount it back onto the knob on the windshied that will usually reduce the vibration quite a bit.

otherwise, if it is simply mounted onto a piece of plastic with glue and then that piece is mounted onto the windshield with glue...you are srewed. :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15843
mark reminds me of what i did to mine a few yrs ago when i now installed some bump & the mirror broke off in 2 days ,

i drilled 3 holes thru it & screwed it right into that metal panel in the roof & tightened that tension screw behind the mirror too ... its been holding up good there for almost 5 yrs till last yr when i began to do mid 152dbs for spl testing & 1 screw fell off ...i need to get some thicker screws for when the SPL season starts back in march ....

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1880
my mirror has 2 ball joints which are made from cast steel. theres one ball joint by the mounting base which screws into the metal piece glued to the windshield. the other one is on the other end of the mirror shaft at the back of the mirror. with my old infinity perfects i managed to snap the back ball joint casting. in order to repair i drilled through the casting and epoxied a nail into the hole on both sides. i then proceeded to wrap the joint in layers of napkin impregnated with super glue for a poormans type fiberglass. the mirror how hardly vibrates now (relative to before the repair) even with my alphas running on 4kw hitting low 145's. i lost the maneuverability in the one ball joint due to the layers of napkin and super glue but the one still works.

i used to have pics of the break and the repair but cant find them.

anyways the only way to completely stop the vibration is to stop you windshield from vibrating. the mirror looks like its vibrating really bad because of the reflection distance in the mirror. place a nonreflecting surface over the mirror and it will look much more stable. I must add that the one ball joint i have left is very stiff and my mirror almost never deviates from the correct position but it does vibrate impairing my ability to see behind me.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 399
...well did you fix it?

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1010
as of right now i put a really tight rubber band around the mirror which doesn't look pretty but it stopped some of the rattling and the mirror moving around so much. I'm gonna try to think of other solutions still, My mirror only has one screw and its going into the part which hooks onto the windshield

Silver Member
Username: Msand951

San jacinto, Ca Usa

Post Number: 224
Try thread locking paste and tighen it. But if that doesnt work just take it off. . Cause you cant see out it while its vibrating. Mine also drops down when my sub hits. I left it off when its just vibrated of the mount. Fell off went under seat and left it there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us