System for S10s

Silver Member
Username: Woofers4life

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 128
hi guys i was wondering if some other guys with s10s ext cabs whats a good system set up for one?

Im currently in between jobs so no money as of now but my 1 12in sub and my small amp are not cutting it for me anymore and im ready to up it to maybe a 15? or 2 12s of a better kind. i have a pioneer premier currently.

I wanna go ported. I can prob have 3-5 cu ft box.
My planned amp to run is a AQ 2200D.

my main question is what sub/ subs would be a good match to the AQ amp while giving me good steady wangage in a s10.

I really like Revolution Design FI and other companies but i never have dealt with this kinda power and was looking for some gudeiance to what would give me the best/loudest output.

My main goal for the system is not all out SPL but a nice hard hitting system that will bang but still be pretty loud when all the setting are turned down all the way.

i plan to upgrade all electrical. As stated before this will be over time period of 2-3 months i want to have a new system around summer.

i could maybe spend 300-400$ on subwoofer(s) maybe more just depending on what will give me the best wangage.

Could i get some suggestions guys?

Thanks, W4L

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5238
I have a current build log for a customer who has an s10 labeled "another box build" on this forum a couple threads above

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 174
I'd say a good pair of subs to go with for the AQ2200D would be 2 12" Fi BLs.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 192
^^ good combo but if i remember right without looking at Fi's site, the retail on those is ~300 a piece but don't quote me on that

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1934
im selling a used Sundown Audio Nightshade 18", built up version. so handles 2-3k RMS. its a D1 sub so you would see a .5 ohm load for that AQ2200 :-). get some real power outta that sucker

that sub and that amp would wang for sure in that truck...i know because i just built a 1986 s-10 ext cab with same sub and same amount of power, tuned to 30hz

lookng for 350 shipped... :-)

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 129
yea the FI BL 12s are 275 so pretty much 300$ but if im gonna pay that much for a sub might aswell go 18"

I think the 18in sub would be more for the wow effect. How much of a DB gain would an 18in sub over a 15in sub be? i know the 3in more of cone area would make a diff but whats the numbers?

also does anyone have any idea on how to make a transmission line box or t-line box. i cant find much info about it and i wanna try it on my 12 to see how loud i can get the cheap pioneer.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2012
the cone area is pretty big difference difference. an 18 will be noticeably louder

15 - 176 inch2
18 - 254 inch2

there is no real way to tell what the DB gain would be. people say if you double the cone area, or double the power - you will gain 3DB

but that is strictly a theory and im sure it doesnt work out like that every time

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1940
you can hear the difference pretty noticeably between the 15, and 18. also it can get lower and hit lows nasty

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 130
ok i LOVE lows but highs are pretty great too. what kind of Cube area does an 18 need? i dont know if i can get more than 5 ft3 in my truck.

What kinda config would the box like sub foward port up? Sub up port front or what?

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1155
you could do one 18 in there and be nasty!

but id look for an HO alt for that amp

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 131
yea got any good places for a good HO alt for a s10 4.3 v6 vortex thats not gonna break me? lol.

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1156
yeah

Ohio Gen and DC Power.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7525
eh.. for the room of running a single 18".. you can do a pair of 15"s which is what I'd suggest

we did do an SX 18 in my friends mazda ext cab.. but single sub setups are just not impressive.. they can get plenty loud.. but don't move enough air.. just don't feel the same with less moving mass

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 132
thanks jack thats what i was trying to get an answer too. but if budget doesn't have enough lee way the single sub set up would have to do.

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 718
Big D i had an s10 and all i was running was a single 10 in a box tuned to 33hrz and it hit really good if ur 12 aint cutting it get a better 12" or a 15" max if ur wanting to keep some room back there but if ur gonna take up the whole back then 2 15s audioque hdc3 and back it up and ur deff gonna need that alt i know my hifonics was a bit to much for the alt lol and i had the sub and the port pointing up in my truck

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1942
Jack the Sundown Nightshade is actually only 4 cubes, which is about what a avg 15" would take up :-)

Big D, i sell Mechman Alts if your interested

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 133
haha well as i said in my first post im inbetween jobs atm.

Thomas its not that its not cutting it. its pretty loud but im the i want MOARRR kinda guy im getting all i can get outta my 12.

i could careless about the area taken up what i was gonna do was remove the side back seats and take the plastic covers off.

i was gonna cut the jack holder on the back off so the box will fit better but i was gonna line the box on the windows with foam or something to keep from vibrating on the window and maybe breaking it.

i need to get Dynamat my roof is kinda flimsy from the 3 12s i had that i sold because of hard times. Now im back on my feet just in between jobs and its time for a new hard banger for the back :-).

i really like the 1 18 idea. I just wanna make sure i have room to put an amp and another bat.

would i need to make custom door panels for tweats and mids? i could prob do it in the side pocket on my doors. Im pretty decent with my hands.

would it be a good idea to get mids to run off a small 4ch amp for better control and tweats on HU?

i know im looking at alot of money but im well aware and thats why im kinda looking to you guys for guidance cause i know alot of you are more experienced.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 301
Basebalz13 can you email me with a price ona HO alt?
(or post it here)
1992 chevy s10 2.8 2wd
200amp-350amp
and could you tell me how much a dual kit with 2 300amps would cost
Aero810@yahoo.com

- thanks

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 302
"i need to get Dynamat my roof is kinda flimsy"
havent tried it but i HEARD mat ina s series truck isnt good for SPL
just something to think about.

- audio express told me that..

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 134
well the rattle on my roof is annoying as hell. highs it rattles like a baby rattler lows it shakes like a stripper in Vegas when the Benjamins start hitting the table.

im not going to comps though so it wouldnt make a diff i dont think but that is an interesting thing to find out about Domenico.

anyone have any input about Mat has an impact on SPL?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1943
im my s-10, a 2000 s-10 ext cab

with 4 boxes of Second Skin Damplifier Pro, i gained 1.1 DB's from deadening...

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1944
Domenico,

IIRC for the 270 amp, 160 at idle model, we sale them for 425-450 shipped

But i will double check that price to confirm.

Thanks David Berger

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 308
do you have any dual kits for me? but what does

and sorry but what does IIRC mean?

-thanks

--------------

and yeah i figured the guy at audio express is wrong.. i wana do my s15 up with it. what parts of the truck did you put the mat on? and how much did it cost?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1946
IIRC means, i if i remember correctly:-)

I will ask about a dual alt kit, that would be something custom made on the side

i put it EVERYWHERE lol, but then again i now have no rattles at 150+ easily on music.

i sell the damp pro packs which is 36.5 sq ft for 150 shipped. and i used 4 packs for my truck, however i think you should start off with just two packs first and go from there!

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 311
ahhhh, haha i thought it was some alt lingo lol

can you explain to me how a dual kit connects to the ride? i want to get a better grasp on it.

can you also explain to me how i figure out how big of an alt i need?

-thanks

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1947
well theres a number of ways the kit actually bolts up, depending on your vehicle. so ill have to wait to get the word from the big man on that one.

but it wires up the same, just run a 1/0 to your battery as your stock location is, and the alt should come as just a one wire alt, so you just splice that into your stock as well. It would come with a guide on how to hook it up :-)

hmmm, How much RMS will you be running?

like what are the amps- subs and mono
and what are they rated at each-

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 312
Alright tight, so it comes with the bracket and sh!t or no?

im working on getting a blow through with
SIX 500 watt subs and (alpine type r)
THREE mono block 1000 watt amps (pdx 1000)

so what size&price would i need for that?
--------
ALSO its going to take me a while to get alllll the equip so if its not to much trouble could you get me the size&price i would need for

4 of those subs and 2 of those amps.(to hold me over till i get the rest of the equip.)

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 135
Basebalz how did the Quality of sound improve w/o the roof rattle?
also how can i brace my back window/wall to stop flex?

Domenico. your gonna be moving some air and hitting pretty good too. i had 3 12s on 500w rms each and they were pretty loud so all i can do is imagine with more cone area. Im also in the same boat as you finance wise lol.

question about 18in woofers. Will they hit higher Freq like in "Blunt fulla dro" by "gucci mane" were its upper freq and has one lower freq?
or "Soldiers from da northside" by "three six mafia"? i love skull cracking highs and gut busting lows.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 314
When you had 3 12's were you runnin' ona stock alt?

And yeah.. winter fu!@#in sucks, it needs to be football season so i can start installlllin' some TURF!

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 315
- cause im scared ima f#ck my alt/batt up by pushin to much power with added another 12 and gettin a bigger amp.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1948
Domenico- the one i said the 270 max 160 idle, would handle that power fine, tht with say 2 Group 31 batts an you would be golden, no need for a second alternator!

btw, where are yo getting the subs from and how much? could i maybe persuade you to try something different, that would be better :-)

Bid D- its sounded ALOT better, you could hear the music not rattling :-)

the deadner made a big diff in flex, but to ultimatly stop it you would need to get some like 1 or 1.5" wide and .25" thick flat bars, and pick up some "fusor metal to metal" glue and glue them on, the glue is about 50 dollars for the big tube, and then it takes a special gun :-(

and the 18" will pick up the higher freq

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 323
eBay
Two brand new ones in the box for 250.00 shipped
+ i have rldy have 2 & an amp :-)
im down for opinions tho...

----

Do you think 1500 watts on my stock alt would be straight? (sundown 1500 & 3 12" type r's)

can you send me a link for 2 Group 31 batts?

- thanks dom

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1949
eh, thats PUSHING it

and okay, nice price on them!

maybe diff amp tho IMO :-) why not keep that 1500 and get two more?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 329
yeah i thought so.. damn.

isnt it?! lmao thats pretty much the main reason im getting them haha

and your saying 3 sundowns 1500 and 6 type r's?

- and about that link?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1950
yeh, btw price is 400 shipped for that alt. 250 max 150 idle

yup i think that would go good :-)

i would buy this guys batts

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453500

either one works good, for 3 1500's i would say 3 of those 100AH batt and the mechman alt and you should be fine

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 330
Okay, i can't buy anything too soon tho :-(

and can you explain to me how i figure out what size alt i need? -just for personal reasons.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1952
umm itreally just depends on how much power your running, i dont really know how to describe it... :-( i just kinda like know :-(

tip of advice tho! go as big as you can to leave room for upgrades!

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 332
darn lol well okay, thank you for all your help

do you have any pictures of you installing the deadner?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1954
yup sure doo, i think

check out my build log

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402734

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 137
yeah i ran 3 12s on 1500 rms on a stalk alt but i did put in another bat but i do not advise it i weakened my alt severely.

well i can live with flex lol. do you know the sound when your playing a song and it sounds like its pushing the metal outwards kinda hard to explain but i hear it in my ears. its when i got my truck sealed up windows up. i think its the flexing from the air but not too sure.

6 12s would be pretty loud. the electrical would need to be upgraded Alt and batts but it would be totally worth it.

My 3 12s were making vehicles shake hard. I have set in systems with 6 12s on about the same wattage except they were Digital Designs but they were LOUD.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1955
yup, this deadner would take care of that. all you would here is teh music and bass :-)

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 929
Its not just the speakers that make it loud. There's a lot of other factors. I'm not saying anything on you D. I've had so many ppl talk smack on my 3 10s. " My hommie has 2 15s and dey slam stupid hard""I've heard loud. You gotta have 15s to be loud" all quotes. Then they sit in my daewoo heaven and get a taste of 3 10s. "Holy shitttt man. Wtf!" Build quality is a big factor. You should be pretty loud 3 12s. I think 4 12s on a AQ2200 would slam pretty hard in an S10. If space wasn't an issue for me I'd run 4 12s(D6s) would be my choice. Rated for 600wrms but they'll love 750rms. Ask yourself how crazy do u wanna go? How about your front stage?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1956
4 12's is a little bit under twice the cone are of the single 18

avg box would require over twice the size of a single 18

takes about the same amount of power

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 138
I know the quality of the build is the most important. The more you hurry the worst you sound.

funny you say that kyle i was just thinking 4 12s but idk certainly yet.
i was thinking about 4 RE SE12s on 2 AQ2200Ds (2 subs and 1 amp at a time). about 1000w rms each in a pretty big box that i may just need to wall it.

oh my front stage isnt great at ALL. i need to invest in some better quality atm only have 4 6.5 boss mids and 4 boss tweats. mids are running off a 250 watt amp 2 channel. tweats on my Head unit.

The 6 12s were pretty loud imo i didnt see them on meter but he claimed 155 on the dash and my chest pains seemed to back it up.

but in the same night i sat down in a system with a DD9515 on a MA3000.1D and it had almost the same effect on me. Both in Montecarlos. 15 was built in trunk, 12s in the what was the back seat thats now the sub wall.

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 139
To basebalz, seen your post after long one above ^ ^. yea simplicity is bliss lol.

it comes down to personnel preference and i do want to see what a 18 can do but i love the air moving throat closing bass. but i never heard one 18 but i believe it could deliver that same response just less air movement.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 334
think an s10 could fit 4 12's non-walled?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 335
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402734&page=8

How'd you get those speakers in yours door?!?!

I needa do that! can you give me more of an insight?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 338
"If space wasn't an issue for me I'd run 4 12s(D6s) would be my choice."

"Diamond Audio D6 subwoofers are the perfect example. Whether your listening tastes are as varied as smooth jazz or gangsta rap these woofers won't disappoint." hahaha GANGSTA!

How much does the D612 cost?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1957
S-10's arent meant to really be walled, not enough depth for the wall...

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 140
yes 4 12s will fit. i seen 6 12s with the box built to fit the ext cab part with all wires running to the bed with a bed cover and 3 2000 watt amps not sure of brand. on 6 pioneer premiers.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 340
so wait, the dude had the amps and all the wiring in the bed???

I wana run 4 12 type r's and AQ2200 tomorrow ill be able to buy it all... cept the fvckin ho alt and batts

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 141
well get all your equip and just get ready for a major install. You dont have to run all wires to the bed if you dont have to fill the back up with box.

when you get all the equip your gonna have a pretty good system.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 341
I love installs and sh!t so it'll be tight, ima be hating the time between when i dont have any sounds because i wont have an alt or batts

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
get one of those diamond plate tool boxes (or similar) to put all that stuff in to save room in your cab. That way you can build amp racks ect. and your cab won't be riddled with wires and your amps and batteries will still be out of the weather. you could run your power wire along the frame and right into the box and have a short ground wire directly to the frame. Just make sure everything is sealed up and watertight

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 142
thats a really good idea smith, it disguises the nature of the truck, looks red neck sounds gangsta. haha

with a little work you could turn the diamond plate box into a decently looking Sound Auditoriumfor your amps and bats.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1960
the power he is trying to run would need more than a ground to the frame...

if you insist on doing the 4 12's walled. subs on pass side side by side and stacked, port on drivers side

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 143
im not sure what to do yet im still waiting on call backs from the 15+ applications i put lol. being a Sr in highschool looking for a job is pretty rough around here.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 342
Basebalz - idk if you were tlkn to me about the wall but i said non-walled, i dont want to get into all that work.

Smith - the tool box idea is sexy but i have a leather snap on cover so it wouldnt work for me.. ill think of something though.

Big D - We're in the same boat... . but today i have to drive a grip load to sell this dude my double din(250) and type r's(350). then ima buy some new sh!t. im thinkin' either 4 type r's so i can get them outa the way OR 2 drivers and AQ2200 and worry about the 2 drivers later. idfk lol

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1962
ahh, well to correctly fit 4 12's it will pretty much be walled tho :-(

and IMO pick you up 2 15's get hell loud :D

and i know which subs too... hehe

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 346
annnddd what might that subwoofer be? lmao

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1969
400 shipped...2 Sundown Z-15's....underrated 1000RMS each...gets LOUD....run you AQ2200 and get to booming

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 347
how many cubes per sub?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 348
Two Sundown Z-15's 6.50 cubes tuned to 30 Hz with a AQ2200?

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
Dominico - i think you can get one of those tool boxes that will be flush to the top of the bed.
or you could make a plywood box and cover it with truck bedliner and put weatherstripping along the top to seal it.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 353
I'll prolly make some sort of box and sh!t.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1971
Dom-

Yes, that would be perfect, 3 cubes per sub. plus any displacement you have on the inside, like the sub displacement and port.

i would run that AQ2200 at .5 ohms to help with imp rise :-)

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 364
Have you heard those subs in person? i dont really like SQ subs.. and i noticed those are SQL subs.

Would that amp be chill with the subs wired to .5 ohm?

Think they'd bang harder then 3 type r's? ina custom box etc..

Silver Member

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 381
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us