Battery or Alt?

Username: Daenzer2010

Metamora, Mi Us

Post Number: 3
curently i have 1 15 Fi Bl in a 02 tralblazer running off a aq1200. the problem is that everytime it hits the battery goes down on the dash. right now its not a huge problem but i have another 15 bl im going to put in as soon as i get another amp, so when that time comes obviously it will get worse so i dont want o mess anything up. would it be better to get another battery or alt? i have both stock right now and i dont have money for both right now

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10898
Well the answer is both, but alternator is the more important one.

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1134
yep ^^^

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 861
1000 cranking amps battery

Metamora, Mi Us

Post Number: 4
i know i need both, but i dont know a whole lot about alts. i know how big of one would i need and how big of a battery would you suggest?

Metamora, Mi Us

Post Number: 5
so i found out that my stock alt is 150 and i can upgrade to 250 for so how big of a battery would i need?

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 161
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MP5F-uJAw

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 863
1000amps duh. Kenetic1200 or 1600 should be fine

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1135
look in to
Ohio Gen
DB

and batt HC2400 and sould be good with some head room lol

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5523
Hmmmm. That's a pretty damn beefy stock alt on that truck if yours came with the HO, which I think most did. 145 amps and heavy duty, built by Hi-Test. Same one as in the Escalade. Something else is wrong. Battery? What gauge wire runs do you have and how are they ran? Do you have a high power front stage amp you are also running?

If you get another AQ1200 you will definately need more, but as of now you should be easily running that amp. Maybe go dual stock alts lol, start a trend.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 864
HC2400? I'm running my BXi2608D off a 2k and a stock 500amp batt with stock alt the does 80 on a good day. I get dimming problems wen I crank up PUT ON thas it. But wen I get my 1200 for up front and my 180alt I should be good.

Any way I'm stunned you have dimming problems. Shittty batt? Old?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 164
The one guy on here is selling his Mechman. That may work on your truck. Are you also sure the gain is set properly? If you plan on running two amps though, no question about it, upgrade your alt most def. A second battery would also be a good choice. Good luck :-)

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3376
kyle you realize cranking amps has nothing to do with determining a battery.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 868
For joe blow it does. I didn't wanna break down discharge rates and all that

Metamora, Mi Us

Post Number: 6
alright well this morning my battery died and found out it was bad so theres a good chance that was the problem so i picked up a brand new duralast gold 1000 crankig amps. so im going to be running 2 15in Fi Bl's and 2 Aq1200's with one run of 0ga. and a distribution block by the amps. will upgrading alt still be necessary? mright now i only am running one 15 bl with one aq1200 and 4ga and everything works. i am for sure upgrading wire and now i have a new battery so what do you think about upgrading alt?

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 871
I would say yes as well as another batt. Not a duralast. Kenetic or something

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2059
Yes. Upgrade your alt to the highest idling output one you can afford. I'm looking at some right now from Iraggi that he rates 180 idle/220 peak. DC power has some they rate 200+ amps at idle. The mechman alt I just took out of my truck was 270 peak/180 idle, so there are many options.

Peak power is great for highway driving, but if you have to stop at a light you will see your voltage drop quickly with higher output models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us