Big 3 questions.

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 43
So I looked at my stock alt today just to get some ideas and as far as I can see there are two hook-ups on the alt which plug in. If you get an aftermarket alt, are there different hook-ups? My question is, how do you add larger wires to an alt? Arn't you limited to whatever can be plugged up into the alt?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15609
whichever company is selling u the new alt shud have info on ur stock alt wires\plug so they cud send u a 2 or 3pin plug &directions on how to install it ...

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 44
I watched some videos of people upgrading stock alts with the big 3. It seems simple up until they hook up the power wire to the alt. It seems as if theyre just bolting on the wire, but where is the bolt at? I'm guessing alts are different. Also anyone have any recommendations or advice on good 1/0 guage wire to get and battery terminal connectors?

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3961
The pos terminal is usually on the back, however if you're mounting to a stock alt, you will see negligible to no gain in voltage nor is it likely that your voltage will be more stable.

To see the real effects of the Big3, do it in addition to a larger alternator such as a HO alt.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10719
The positive wire to the alternator connects to a bolt on it somewhere, thats the terminal.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 46
I'm going to go ahead and do the big 3 soon to my existing alt. It won't hurt and when I do get a HO alt, I'll already have everything ready to go. I'll search around the back side of the alt for the bolt, its gotta be there somewhere :-)

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 47
Also, what my system is going to end up being is: a JL 300/4 and then 2 500/1's, so 1300 rms total. Is this going to be a strain on my electrical system? I currently only have 700 rms running in my car and don't have any problems. My stock alt is a Denso 80 amp.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1973
80amp alty is small. much too small for 1300 rms

just set your gains to where your voltage is stable until you can get a new alt or whatever you decide to do

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 54
Alrighty. I'm getting the 300/4 this weekend. I'll get the Denso 190 alt first, then I'll work on getting the 2nd 500/1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us