Amp Cuts Out With Volume

Username: Jdgraham

Post Number: 1
I just put in my sound system and all was working well until yesterday when I hit 140 on the highway and the amp cut out and has been ever since once I turn up the volume. I also noticed that my sub is rattling now and it wasn't before. Please help, confused as to wether or not its a blown fuse, blown sub, or wiring. Thanks.

Ps. When I eliminate the bass/sub and blast the speakers they still pump good clean sound and the amp doesn't cut out.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2741
Sounds like a blown sub. Push in on the direct center of the sub lightly, does it make a crunching or scraping sound when the cones moves?

Post Number: 2
I will take it out of the box and check now, that wouldn't cause the amp to cut out though would it?

Post Number: 3
Ya when I push the sub down in the middle it cracks and rattles a lot, does that mean that its blown?

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 247
That means the voice coil is blown and is now scratching. You fed it to much power or clipped the signal(most likely) so the voice coil overheated and broke.

Post Number: 4
Ya I bought a new Alpine sub, and everything is fine and working again. But how can I prevent that from happening again?

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 248
Set the gain correctly. What amp and what sub do you have?
This is what i use to set my gains, i tune it with the dmm first, then by ear afterward and make sure it still sounds good.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080104010047/http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/se tgain.asp

Post Number: 5
I use an American Pro Audio 4CH 600w and now an Alpine E Sub, I also have my 6x9" JBL's hooked up to the amp as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us