Amplifier not powering up

Username: Gokartmozart

Post Number: 1
Hi, Im new to these forums but was hoping I could get some help..

Ive got an amplifier installed (Clarion ATX1300) that works sometimes and othertimes wont turn on. Its been doing this off and on for about a year now but recently its working less and less. Its not a matter of it going into protect mode, its got a blue led for power and orange for protect and neither light will go on. Sometimes it will shut off while driving others it wont even turn on when the car is started.

This was the first car amp i've installed but I did alot of research and it seems like it should work.
I've double checked all the connections and everything seems to be hooked up right.
I checked the volts with a multi meter. I got 12 volts between the power and ground and 11.5 from the remote turn on to ground. I read online you want at least 12, is 11.5 close enough?
The amp is not mounted to a conductive surface.
The headunit is defiantly good, as I just bought a brand new one

What else can I check?

If it was the amp that was defective why is it able to power up sometimes? I really dont want to buy a new amp and get the same problem. Is there any thing I'm missing here?

Any help appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 166
use a short wire and bridge the power to the remote and see if it turns on. If it does I would run a line from the battery to a switch to the rem on the amp.

Post Number: 2
No luck in bridging the power to the remote turn on..

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 167
sounds like a ground problem then to me.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272580

Bronze Member
Username: Trussell456

Post Number: 14
i had this problem, take you amp out and bring to the front of the car, keep the power and remotes hooked and hook the ground the the negative on the battery, this should turn on your amp. meaning you had a bad ground that was only working some of the time. Find a new spot to ground and you'll be all set

Post Number: 3
My ground wire is connected to a ring terminal with a self tapping screw going straight into the floor of the trunk, and the paint is sanded away.

I'm pretty sure this should be a good ground but I'll try testing a new ground or going strait to the battery negative tomorrow to see if that works.

Post Number: 4
Hey i've been out of town for a little while but I finally got a chance to double check the ground connection. I even took it out of my trunk and grounded strait to the battery negative. No luck. At this point i'm pretty sure my amp is bad.
Is it common for something in the amp to go bad but still work sometimes? This is frustrating me to no end!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us