Stupid stupid noob mistake help quick!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Alpine ida-x001/2 dd 2..., Woodlawn Por... USA

Post Number: 2003
Stupid stupid mistake I made... I forgot to disconect the batter b4 I put my 300a fuse back in the fuse holder (in line fuse) and I got a bunch of sparks and the thing d@mn near melted I feel like such a dumb @ss ... so I was wondering do u think I jus blew the fuse or did I blow my nice saz also.... I wasn't thinking I was in a rush on break @ work I'm working now so I can't go get another fuse to see if the amps gone too... I jus need peace of mind for now.... I'm p1ssed!

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1376
everything is shot

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 927
I dont think everything is shot. Hard to say until you get another fuse though. How are the fuses an your saz? check them if you get a chance

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1714
i bet your amp is fine

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2493
X2

Gold Member

Post Number: 2004
um got another inline fuse but no power to amp checked with mult meter its getting enuf juice but nothing... checked fuses on saz and all r blown havent got a chance to get any more yet but do you think once i get new fuses it will work? and once i get the fuses do i need to disconect the battery b4 putting them n?

if it is blown u think i should get a new amp or repair this one?? im so mad @ myself u wudnt believe...

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2417
lol.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20034
Fuses blow to protect your stuff. Odds are it's fine.

Not betting odds though.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2751
I say your amp is fine, replace the fuses and let us know.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 183
x3.

fuses are probably the best invention as far as electronics/ circuitry go. i say replace all fuses, and YES when you're doing it disconnect your batt. why would you ask that? look what just happened when you DIDNT disconnect it!?!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2005
Lol I'm an idiot at this stuff hence the reason I never attempt intalls but I hate payin to get lil stuff done... I didn't think pluggin in fuses wud matter but ill disconect next time... soon as I get off work ima go grab some but thy don't sell jus 40 amps so I gota get like 4 packs of the multi packs I'm prayin it still works bcuz I don't got another 500 bucks for a new amp...

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2416
I'm confused... did you have wires crossed in the back or something??? You shouldn't have to disconnect the battery before you install a fuse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2007
Yea thts what the car audio shop said what could it be? And ok so the amp is hooked up right now with in line fuse all wires r hooked up except rcas but the fuses on the amp aren't in the amp I got new fuses for the amp but what steps should I take with disconecting the power wire or disconecting the wires from the amp first b4 I plug them back in to see if I get power?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2426
dude it's hard to understand what you are trying to say. I'd say yeah just disconnect the negative post on the battery before you put the fuses on, takes what, 3 seconds.

Silver Member
Username: Riconissan

Post Number: 417
If the fuse blew while you were reinstalling it . Then there is a short to ground somewhere. Fuses do not blow for no reason.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 930
Just to be safe disconnect your batt and then install your fuses. Connect your rca's. After everything is connected then connect your batt and see if you have power.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4685
If the fuse blew while you were reinstalling it . Then there is a short to ground somewhere. Fuses do not blow for no reason."

^^^^this.

use a dmm set to read continuity. Put it on the pos wire at the amp. This wire should be disconnected from amp. Also do not have a fuse in yet. Now put one lead on the wire, the other on a ground. If theres continuity, replace/check the pos wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2008
What is a short to ground and how do I fix it? Bcuz the guy @ the car audio shop said it shudnt have blown also... so somethings wrong. I'm thinking about not even touching it and jus waiting till I get my comp amp installed to let them fix it....

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4687
use a dmm set to read continuity. Put it on the pos wire at the amp. This wire should be disconnected from amp. Also do not have a fuse in yet. Now put one lead on the wire, the other on a ground. If theres continuity, replace/check the pos wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
"what is a short to ground"

Your positive side needs to pass through resistance ex: a light bulb or in your case an amplifier before it completes the circuit back to ground. If the positive side of your battery finds a "shorter" path to ground it is a "short Circuit. Some where you have a bare wire touching ground (the car chassis) Or inside of your amplifier there has a short. My point is that for your 300 amp fuse to blow. something is very wrong.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2009
i dont have a dmm so what dou suggest? should i jus leave it alone and let a shop fool with it? i Have a pretty good shop around here thy r the best in the area thy kno more than most of the clueless shops around here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
Good idea brother. I wish I was there to help you.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2418
Go to walmart (or any hardware store) and pick up a digital multimeter (dmm) for like $10.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1747
lol i usually install the fuse last. its just such a pita to disconnect all my grounds, that i never do it. never had a problem yet and ive done it probably 50 times.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2010
ahh i brought her back to life the problem was the damn ground and power labels on the amp r placed very stupid so i mis read them and hooked power and ground up mismatched it was jus blown fuses everything is working again good at least i think lol...

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2758
Glad you figured it out. What amp are you using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
Good to hear JayZ4Prez

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 958
Glad to hear everything is ok!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts