Bronze Member
Username: Skateguy92

Post Number: 13
The system is :

Hifonics brutus 1500D (Gain is at 1/8)
2 Alpine type-R 12"
Ported box tuned to 34htz
Pioneer 4v out head unit

The other sub is brand new also, this one was about 6 months old but has always been fine.

Pushing on the cone doesnt feel real different than on the good one. Its not like solid when you press on it like my last one that blew felt like.

What happened was I was driving normal volume which to me is decently loud but not its full potential. Started the smell smoke just as the amp went into protection. Smoke was coming from the port.

Unhooked the subs and couldnt tell a difference, both played at a low low volumem, amp just goes into protection if turned up loud.

Did I blow the sub? If not what can I do for it to not do that?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2096
Blown sub.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1445
yep u burnt up your vc

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well damn, I figued it wasnt good.

Anyways to hook up my one good type-R up to my amp? I know I could get an 8 ohm load to the amp but not sure what that would do to the sub. I just need some bass to get by, i had JUST replaced my last sub through warranty three days ago.

Gotta save some money for the SX's ive been wanting.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10888
Why not wire it to 2 ohm?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10889
Upload

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1446
i doubt the sub is stable at that but idk for sure

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18976
The smoke you see is a complicated mixture of highly volatile and toxic adhesives and polymers that when subjected to the right atmospheric and planetary conditions will thus yield a very ideal opportunity for the springs that are wedged inside the VC to react with these adhesives/polymers to send those in the Alps looking for a cheaper way to balance their seesaws so their kids can have something to eat.

You didn't mention BB. Where was it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I didnt think it would like that much power at 2ohm... like 900-1000 going to a single type-r 12"?

Correct me if im wrong, just dont wanna end up with both blown subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
BB? As on the head unit?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10890
"I didnt think it would like that much power at 2ohm... like 900-1000 going to a single type-r 12"?"

You would set the gain with a digital multimeter to the power amount you want to send to the sub.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10891
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Well seriously my gain was at 1/8 when I blew this sub... I wouldnt be able to turn it down much.

Im a noob at using a multimeter to do things but I have used one, how would I check what power im using accoring to my gain?

Obviously would want to be in ' Watts ' on the multimeter? And use the speaker leads as the negative/positive to hook up to the meter?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10892
31.62 volts for 500 watts And you would use a 50 hz test tone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I really appreciate the help here, but im still kinda lost.

I get the 31.62 volts is 500 watts... where do I want to test for it to read 31.62?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1447
if the gain is that low im gonna guess you have your subs wired incorrectly to an ohm load they are unstable at

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10893
copy this file and burn it as a wave file on a disc.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/50hz.mp3

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1448
bb on the amp hes asking

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10894
If they were dual 2 ohms that was your issue becasue that would be .5 ohm wired the right way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well the subs were wired up at a 1ohm load (being two 4ohm DVC). Each sub was Neg to Ned - Pos to Pos - . The hifonics is rated at 1 ohm.

My gain used to be way up but the guy I know at the stereo shop told me if I bought a 4v out stereo insteads of my alpine that was 2v that I would be able to turn my gain way down and it would be a cleaner signal for the same loudness. So I did.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
And im not sure what the BB knob is on the amp... .None of the knobs are turned all the way up or anything.

I tuned this system by turning sub settings to 0 on the headunit. Turning the vocals up to the level I usually listen to then slowing turning the gain up till it distorts or sounds wierd. I backed it down a lil and has been playing fine for the last couple weeks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10895
How to set your amplifier gain.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3704

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_justin850

Justin smith, crestview, Fl Okalossa

Post Number: 28
it could be mechanical like the glue burned in it but none te less check how much for a recone , buy a new one or upgrade

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10896
You should check each voice coil on the problem sub with a multimeter to make sure that was where it failed.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 817
ahh noooobs :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks sean and everyone else for the help.

1 last question or I might make a new thread about it.... but the box i have was for my 2 type-r's not seperate boxes.... would it be bad to run the one good sub at 500watts in a dual 12" box? Even if I left the dead sub screwed in to seal the hole?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Im sorry ive never actually used a multimeter before for this stuff... I havnt a clue.

Ill just lookup somewhere else how to test my sub's voice coils.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10897
You could have a defective amp. Hifonics is known for failures.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10898
Hook up the good sub and tell us what happens.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18978
"would it be bad to run the one good sub at 500watts in a dual 12" box? Even if I left the dead sub screwed in to seal the hole?"

Don't do that. The sub would be in an improper box volume causing tuning problems.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10900
Your right Paul I was thinking split chamber but it probably isnt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well I unhooked the bad sub and left the good sub hooked up... It seemed to play fine, I didnt wanna turn it up too loud because I wasnt sure what ohm it was being ran an and what not.

But im pretty sure its a 2ohm load, I just need to double check and retune the gain on the amp so its only seeing 500watts

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10901
Well even though you missed Pauls correction it seems we found out its not amp failure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Ok well I guess the next goal is to find the perfect subs to fit in a 2.3cuft (4.6total) box tuned to 34htz that can handle 1300-1400RMS daily.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I missed over pauls comment... you are right, its not single chambers.

If I blocked off the other side of the box, the tuning with still be off right?

Just trying to make it for another month or two untill I can redo some stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10902
Austin what type of car and year do you have? And do you have a high output alternator?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Its a 97 expedition... I believe its a 130amp (no I havnt upgraded yet) but I still should be able to get 1000-1200 right on a 130 amp?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1451
yeah i wouldnt go more than 1200 on it and be gentle when your lights are on

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10905
Well thats a pretty good alternator size and some of that is with your vehicles basic electrical needs but the main thing you dont want is voltage drops less than 12.6 volts. I was just making sure you werent clipping the amp. The only other way is if your amps bass boost is up where it shouldnt be.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Any suggestions as far as what subs I could replace these 12's with? To go in my same 2.3cufu per chamber box (port is combined for both 12's)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Im pretty sure the bass boost is down pretty far on my amp, if not all the way down. Ive always thought those Bass boosts were more hurtful than good... I only adjusted the gain and the LPF when I messed with the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1524
i run one type - r on a hifonics 1606 d, i think ur not tuning and wiring correctly in order to smoke a coil like that, i've bat on my type - r hard a few times and have yet to see smoke , the cone got warm at one time, this was on my old type - r before i had a magnet issue but still even cranking it in summer on that one, it stayed together and kept on thumpin without a peep.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4670
ya def something wrong do u have BB set high on ur HU. MAybe you have it wired wrong

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Everything on the HU is set correct. LPF is on, bass - 0, bass boost - 0, sub level - 0.

Subs are wired neg to neg, pos to pos then going to the amp. That would yield a 1ohm load right?

Ive had the sub that smoked for a good year/year and a half and I have put a beating on it before.

Could just be old?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10907
Bass boost unless used sparingly can be hurtful. I dont think the sub was old.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Well im not quite sure what to say then. I went out and looked at the settings and the bass boost is down almost all of the way.

Gain was 1/8, LPF was on... and thats about it as far as the amp goes. I listed my HU specs above.

Not really sure why I smoked the woofer then... any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 504
yeah something def wrong, probably blew a vc on one of the subs, and its automatically shorting, and sending your amp into protection, what i dont understand is why that blew the sub, i had a hifonics 1606d on two type r's at full potential and never even started to stink. must have been a bad batch of subs. and those hifonics are most likely only putting out 1000 watts rms at the most

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10913
Yeah to me it sounds like a bad production at the plant and the sub broke. Hifonics amps are over rated power wise and id say the amp puts out 1200 rms with 120 amps of fuse. That should not blow up a type r 12.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Yea I know the hifonics are overrated and this is why it kinda blows my mind too cuz type-r's can handle much more.

The sub that smoked had been in various cars for a year or so... maybe just met its end?

Either way, how do I test the subs with a multimeter to see if they are blown?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Well I found out the problem 100%. It was one of my VC's that burnt. They all ohm at 3.5-3.6 and this one ohm 1.5.

Theres no way to fix a burnt coil is there?

Looks like ill be saving up for my SX or SE's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Well I found out the problem 100%. It was one of my VC's that burnt. They all ohm at 3.5-3.6 and this one ohm 1.5.

Theres no way to fix a burnt coil is there?

Looks like ill be saving up for my SX or SE's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18985
Recone time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us