STuffing Boxes

meldawg
Unregistered guest
Will stuffing my unclosed sub box with cotton or any other materials do anything? if so please suggest what will work best for the least amount of money...thanx

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 16
Maybe glass can help but when i was younger i do remeber people stuffing some type of fiber glass into boxes, but I have mostly seen it done on old house speakers. They use to say it was a way to make a speaker play like it was in a bigger box. But from my experience if you build your box to spec it will sound good just the way it is.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan3

Post Number: 91
Use regular polyfil...

Username: Feesh

Post Number: 4
The sound wave coming off the back of your subwoofer reacts with the air contained in the box. Poly-Fil stuffing slows down sound waves inside the box, making the subwoofer perform as if the box were bigger. Use 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of Poly-Fil per cubic foot of box volume.
Taken from:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kl8Mfnipg4F/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=741&I=0 27808&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

hope it helps.

i dunno nothing
Unregistered guest
Pillow polyfill and fiberglass insulation are common, though polyfill is a lot easier on your skin. This increases subwoofer efficiency by dissipating some energy that affects the sub, particularly the voice coil. Polyfill also "fools" a sub into thinking it is in a bigger box. Play around with different amounts of polyfill until you get the desired results.

Finishing the Box

Anonymous

will stuffing the box help if the box is already built to spec, and what if it is a ported box does that make any difference.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 272
Not really, unless the manufacturer recommends it. The driver will perform as if the box were larger, making the bass more boomy and the cone won't have as much control. Ported Boxes stuffing is a no-no if it's already built to specs and the specs don't call for stuffing. It'll affect the tuning of the box.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 275
By the way, anyone who reads about stuffing, don't go to crutchfield and order a fancy-pants name brand of polyfill, just go to Wal-mart and get pillow stuffing. It's the same stuff.

under stand
Unregistered guest
by putting the polyfill in the box it makes the box seem bigger to the sub because the sound waves are being slowed down. Well i know that a bigger box requires less power to let a sub reach it's peak ecursion. So if i were to put this polyfill in my box would my subs ecursions be bigger because with the box size i have now the sub specs show i need 800rms to reach peck excursion and i'm only putting 400rms

under stand
Unregistered guest
HELP please, and i want to add to my last post do you just set that stuff in the box or do you staple it down or what?

PLEASE HELP
Unregistered guest
could someone awnser those questions above

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 334
It will move a little more, but I doubt it'll be the huge difference you're hoping for. I usually staple about 1" thick to the walls, or whatever thickness you're going for. People usually recommend about a pound of fill per cubic foot of sub enclosure. You could glue it, too. But if the box is already built to specs and the specs don't call for polyfill, I wouldn't add it as a fix for underpowering the sub. It'll sound boomier, maybe a tad deeper, but you won't notice the change that you would see from adding a ported box or more power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us