Install lesson of the week (Lesson 1, june 29)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2969
Ive talked to a few guys on the forum/aim/chat and thought it would be a good idea to bring back the lesson of the week/word of the week. Some of you from 04-05 might remember how we used to do this, and i though it was always pretty cool. I figured since lately ive been learning how to wire relays/switches to control my amps/fans i thought i could start the first lesson.

How to wire relays/switches...

In my install I want to run a pair of switches that will A. turn on my set of fans and B. Turn my sub amp on/off (my parents will have my car while I am at school and they want a way to turn the bass completely off).

The parts you will need to buy are a basic relay (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-070), a pair of switches (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=060-081), and some 18awg wire.

Since I already have my system pretty much installed all i need to do is install the relay between my battery and set of amps, and then install the switches between the relay and amps/fans. The basic setup of the install will look like this.

Upload

You run wire from your distro block (or battery) to terminal 87. Ground terminal 85. Remote wire from head unit into terminal 86. Remote wire from terminal 30 to switches. Switches to fans/amp.

If you wire it this way, the top amp (speaker amp) will be run completely buy the headunit and the second amp (sub amp) will be run buy the switch. This also allows you to turn the fans on with the other switch. In my case i will have both of the switches mounted in my SUVs glove box so they are both hidden and easy to get to.

I hope you enjoyed this... if i did anything wrong feel free to correct me. Afterall it is almost 230 in the morning. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3013
nicely done, I may contact you for more help, lol.

I have a question though, it's about something else, you made amp racks to go on the sides of your enclosure, correct?

if this is correct, how did you do it in a way that the racks are mounted to the box, but are unaffected by the vibrations?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4079
nice idea. I don't remember this, but maybe it was bc I was around for to long. Maybe it'll bring the old ecoustics feel back.

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 16
I like the idea. As long as its nicely done like this one. I knew how to do this , but there are LOTS of things I don't and would like to know. So IMO "Keep it Going"

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9724
I remember this Berny we used to do it back when glasswolf was still hanging around....it might have been hit and miss as far as scheduling though and I dont think it was done for very long

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2970
Yes Thieves I used to have an amp rack mounted on the back of my box. It was double baffle in the back and then i used rubber washers and a thin layer of rubber to try and stop all vibrations. It was when i had the 4 15" box so everything was vibrating anyways, hah.

Thanks for the good words guys. Berny it was more of a word of the week type thing, and yes it was mostly Glasswolf.

Keith theres lots of stuff i have no clue idea how to do... We all need help on some stuff.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17268
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 509
nice bit of info.. keep it up.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2974
Yeah i think its a pretty cool inexpensive add on to a system. Costs at most 20 bucks and shouldnt take much longer than an hour or hour and a half depending on where you run the switches.

Well step it up a little for next weeks.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 521
"Yeah i think its a pretty cool"

Pun intended? lmao
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us