How To Increase Speaker Hole Size HELPPPP

Silver Member
Username: Audiosaab

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 199
Hey,
So the other day i posted about a pair of 6x9 alpine type r speakers i bought to replace my existing stock 6x9 bose speakers

Naturally assuming that 6x9's would fit the same hole i purchased them...i soon found out that the stock metal holes used to house the previous 6x9's were slightly too small to fit the 6x9 alpines...

Does anyone know what i could use to "file" off some of the metal and make the speaker holes the correct size? ive been attempting to use a half rounded half baztard metal file but it isent doing squat.... any ideas would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4063
use a mdf baffle if you have the room for it. so its metal, mdf baffle, then the new 6x9 on top of the mdf. hopefully that will give you the clearance you need.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 201
problem is i dont have room, hence the reason for trying to increase the speaker hole size

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4159
Sawzall

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1048
sawzall for sure just TAKE UR TIME

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 202
well thats frucking pricy lol...more than im looking to spend for incresing about 3 millimeters around the speaker holes.....fileing it is i suppose.....there goes my night

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1074
dremel FTW

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3004
rasp buddy, get to working

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 203
lol, i got my laptop next to where im working...this just plain sucks...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17120
Get a cheap grinding stone for your drill. You will destroy it but they're only a couple bucks. 3 millimeters isn't much to take off.

Upload

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 204
hammer and file in hand michael fits the first 6x9 into its hole.....whats next for our hero? :p

i considered the grinding stone...if i dont finish the second speaker hole tonight ill run out tommrow and get one

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4100
use tin snips, make little cuts like 1/2 inch long every 2-3", then bend over with a hammer untill they fit.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 205
turns out that the summer home my parents bought this past year which an old man previously lived in was equipped with a General Electric like 1980's stationary grind stone......So i finished both the speaker holes pretty quick and clean :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13931
u can hammer that extra lip slightly - done that b4 on some doors ...or use a metal cutting shears to trim off excess...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us