Running Subwoofers At Home

Username: Alexderus

Post Number: 1
hey,
i want to hook up a sub box with 2 12's in my house untill i get my car and can run it properly. Can i run the subs in the house? if so what do i need to do it?

Username: Feesh

Post Number: 8
You *can* run it in the house, but you'll need to mimic the car. by mimic i mean you cant plug it into the wall - your house gets AC (alternating current) power while a battery supplies DC (direct current). You could probably get a DC converter or something if one is made. I'd just go out and get a battery, but first make sure the amp you have will be filled with the various connections you'll need. Namely a headunit.

Post Number: 10
You can't plug it in to the wall, persay. Your wall has AC current and your amp'll need DC. (I assume if you have sub you have an amp). You'll need to get a car battery and you'll need something like a headunit to receive all the connections from your amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Dont mean to put it up twice, but i got an error the first time and i didn't think it made it.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 306
If it's just the subs you're hooking up, there won't be a problem as long as you wired it to your home systems amp to a right impedance. For example, if they're two 4 ohm SVC subs, make sure your home amp can handle a 2 ohm load, or you can wire them in series for an 8 ohm load. If you're using a amp from a car, you'll need an AC to DC converter which aren't terribly expensive. They're sold at Radio Shack.

Bronze Member
Username: Kragan

Post Number: 23
Most of the AC to DC converters at Radio Shack are not going to supply enough current to the amp. A lot of the converters only supply a couple of amps of current and I would assume that you would need at least 25 (depending on the wattage of you amp). Those types of AC to DC conveters are not exactly cheap.

If you do not have a car amp and are planning on running the sub directly off of a home audio receiver, wire the subs to 8 ohms. I have never heard of a home audio receiver that would run at 2 ohms. Almost all home audio speakers are 8 ohm so that should work for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us