Very bad i think

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1171
ok so today i was bumpin in the parking lot for a little while cuz i got there early and my amp for my speakers kept going into protect as it sometimes does when im bumping really hard(i think its the low voltage protection not sure tho) so i turned the volume down and it was still going into protect even when the volume was @ 20 out of 62.

then i turned my hu off completely and heard this werid periodic squeeking coming from under my hood i think i may have fried my alt not sure tho. i guess we will find out when my battery dies on my ride home tho.

completely off topic but i also noticed that when i play the DJ billy E song and use my bass boost on my hu it does nothing at all between 0 and 12 does absolutely nothing is it possible that my hu simply wont put out more power then it is rated for(4 volt pre outs) but other songs 0-12 every level makes it louder but never louder then the dj billy e song. i am considering just leaving my boost @ +12 since it make ever song hit really hard. and songs that already hit really hard hit exactly the same.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 4147
bass boost is baaaad news. you have to make sure it doesnt push you amp to hard... in your case i would say you might have fried something...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1175
im going to test my rca's today with a multi meter to be sure they do not exceed 4 volts even when the boost is on because i dont understand why it dosnt make some songs any louder but others it makse sound way better. it dosnt sound bad at all the signal sounds clean but you never know. the gain on my amp is also all the way down too not sure if that has anything to do with it tho.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1458
How exactly do you test the voltage on the RCA's with a dmm. I've read somewhere that if you probe both RCA's you can fry an important part in the deck.

Would you just take one of the RCA's and put one lead to the prong and the other to the sheild?

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1724
bass boost should be off.when i first got into car audio i fried my subs and a alt using bass boost.besides it sounds 10 times better with the bass boost off

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1918
Yeah, Beatz 4 My Van clips pretty good already.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1178
"How exactly do you test the voltage on the RCA's with a dmm. I've read somewhere that if you probe both RCA's you can fry an important part in the deck.

Would you just take one of the RCA's and put one lead to the prong and the other to the sheild?"

thats what i was going to try but if is potentially harmful then i am not going to.

"Yeah, Beatz 4 My Van clips pretty good already."

thats what i figured but i wasnt sure. it dosnt even get the slightest bit louder when on 12 bass boost compared to 0. absolutely nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6196
STOP using bass boost

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1181
I just tested it and with the boost all the way up and the volume all the way up the voltage put of the rca is 3.8ish volts. does that not nessicarily mean i have a clean signal? or could it still be clipped.

o btw m alt was fine idk what the problem was tho but everything works fine now and no more squeaking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1464
how did you measure it?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1184
dmm and a test tone

Gold Member

Post Number: 1465
what did you probe is what i mean?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1186
just the one rca the pin and shield. i didnt check both tho i should prob go do that even tho i think only the one works cuz i forgot to plug it in once and when i plugged it in it didnt sound any different.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1924
Well you have to remember it will depend on where you set your gains. If your gains are set to start clipping (theoretically) at 3/4 HU volume, then the amp will start clipping with that voltage. Then, as soon as you add the bass boost, the voltage goes up, pushing the amp into clipping.

Winamp's oscilloscope is quite useful for checking songs for clipping.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1189
i should prob download that to check my songs.

i plan to set my gains for a test tone with the bass boost all the way up and then not use the boost unless the song has lacking bass.

btw the tone on 0 bass boost max volume was 3.7 ish and at 12 boost max volume it only went up to 3.8 ish.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6201
NO

You don't seem to understand how bass boost works. You CAN NOT set gains with it on. It increases one frequency, and decreases other frequencies. See the sketch i'm uploading to try and explain it. You will get an inaccurate reading.

Bottom line: Bass boost is bad, do not use it.

Why can some people just not understand that.

Normal frequency response = red line

Frequency response with bass boost = blue line

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1733
heres how i look at bass boost.say u got a 1000 watt amp. & u got your gain set to 1000 watts and you are listening to it at that level,when u turn the bass boost up to 3 db.u are making the amp try to put out 2000.every single 3 db's of bass boost doubles the amount of power u are trying make the amp put out.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 650
would "LOUD" option on a hu be considered bass boost? Mine has an option of off, low, mid, high

Gold Member

Post Number: 1734
ya it increses the treble mids and bass by 6-9 db's so that clips everythang

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 651
alright thanks chris, i have it set as off because i think someone said that before...but i was just messin around with it and put it on med/mid, w/e, and sounded louder, but messier

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1927
Actually the LOUD setting amplifies highs and lows, not the mid-range. The idea is to balance the sound out, because our ears pick up the mid-range more easily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1736
well there is a treble adjustment for that and subs take care of the lows lol.i read in the manual of my pioneers manual that it boosted it all just the treble and lows by more db's than the mids

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6205
" heres how i look at bass boost.say u got a 1000 watt amp........................."

Thats not what it does...... read what I just posted.

" would "LOUD" option on a hu be considered bass boost? Mine has an option of off, low, mid, high "

That is not bass boost, but just as bad.......... it creates a non-flat response and will create a bad sound. You also can not have that on when setting amp controls, and why would even want it on ever.

" ya it increses the treble mids and bass by 6-9 db's so that clips everythang "

No..... it boosts the bass and treble and leaves the mid as is.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1446
M.S. is right. He even drew the sketch. Thumb up to MS
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us