I need more power

Anonymous
I have alot of electronic devices in my car that require power.

I have a 2000w amp and a cap hooked up that is powering 2 audiobahn 1000w subs, i have underbody neons, 4 under the seat neons, playstation 2 in the trunk, and a 7 inch video monitor on my dashboard that is hooked up to a cap, and im planning on getting 2 sun visor monitors and a nonskip dvd player.

i was wondering if i should hook up a second battery in my trunk, if so how would i go about doing this. Anyone that can help thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Dread07

Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 21
I would also check into upgrading your altenator.
A DEEP CYCLE battery is what you will need for your second battery install what this simply does is allow you to run your system(s) when the car is off until the battery is dead still allowing you to start your car and recharge the primary starting battery this wont take care of your main power issues from expeirence i would recomnd installing the components see how your car can handel the load and then considering upgrading alternator and or battery>

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 94
My stock altenator is a 105 amp. I noticed my lights barely dim so will ungrading to a 140amp be ok or will i need a little bit more? Thx

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3100
140-150 sounds about right.
that should help out tremendously

Bronze Member
Username: Dread07

Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 25
105 Will definalty not be enough, so go ahead and upgrade your altenator to a 140 amp, that should house all the power you need, take a little bit of your batteries current load.
Hope your Stereo system is a succes, Jason
Have fun
Dread07,

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 101
Dread,
Will 140 be ok for 3 amps? I'm gettin another JL 500.1 after i get my new alt. Wanna make sure 140 will hold (2) jl 500.1 and an Eclipse 32440. (about 490w max)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3149
the 32440 is 80w x 4, so 329 watts, class AB.
that draws about 38A at full output
the two 500/1 amps combined will draw 100A.
that's about 140A total for the audio system.
Your car already has a 105A alternator stock, most of which is probably used by the car, as I assume you have power everything with an alternator that large.

For full output from the system, you'll want a 250A alternator ideally, or 200A minimum.
Beyond that, ideally, you'll also want around 3 to 5 farads of capacitance for peak draw moments from the system. The alternator is sufficient for the continuous draw at 200-250A.
The capacitance would handle very brief moments of larger draws, as well as increase transient response time from the amps.
Note for 140A of current you'll need at least 2AWG cable from battery to distro block, then 4AWG to each 500/1 and 8AWG or 4AWG to the 32440
4AWG for ground as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 15
GLASSWOLF

when the battery and caps are fully charged what is the alternator charging?
like if i turn the stereo off does the alternator turn off? thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3338
the alternator is the source for electrical current in the car when the engine is running.
this supplies current to your car's computers, spark plugs, head lights, radio, and anything else that uses electrical current.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us