Some people amaze me......

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5344
Well, awhile ago some guy came in looking for subs. He said he wanted a loud 12" and was looking for kicker/memphis/JL...One of my co-workers pointed him to a DD2512 or 3512 based on power/$ he wanted to deal w/. Well, i'm the box builder at the shop, so Cory told the guy to come back when i was in.

So, a few days later he comes back. I spend about an hour talking to him figuring out just what kinda of sound he wanted. All he ever talked about was SPL this SPL that. (but he had never even saw a termlab) He said his buddy did 152's w/ a JL w7 13.5" in a fullsize truck on 1000w w/ a daily system. I told him, "well, maybe on the Old AC...but not the TL." I let him sit in my truck (only does 150s daily)...he could not sit in it.

Well, had him hooked on DD (or i thought). Priced him for a 2512 first, then a 3512 and a clarion 1500wrms amp. Gave him i nice price cut and he sounded happy, even though the 3512 was alil out of his range. Said he would be back.

He came back yesterday at closing...he said, "man, i just got hooked up w/ a JL 12"...I know a guy that works at this other shop". I said, ok...cool, as i am prolly doing a box for him anyways. Look in his truck, its a w7 12". Ok...i ask him what he paid...$500! Umm...yea, wtf?

All this guy could talk about was getting a loud 12" that would sound pretty good. SPL was everything to him. Now he has an SQish sub?

I told him the DD3512 was much less.

He still wants to do 143's daily w/ a low note box.
Wants to do ~750wrms.

Some people just amaze me.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5273
Don't be amazed by morons and or noobs.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2597
almost sounded like he wanted jl from the beginning. =( some people are like that well and it almost seemed he wanted your approval or to impress you canaan

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12332
i seen that happen by me too b4 - u try ur best to point ppl in the right direction but they have in their head already set on what they want to own or how they want it done...so somtimes u end up wasteing ur time ...thats how it is sometimes .....

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2219
atleast he bought a solid product n' not some sh!t audiobahn

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3625
You have to remember, people feel comfortable with brands they have heard of, fact! Most brands rely on word of mouth and then performance then finally looks to sell there products. You should have told him to come back after he had it installed, them pull up next to him with your vehicle and show him why his choice was wrong! Honeslty one of the biggest reasons I have my sh!t in my car is to show up people. Polo...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12333
u r quite right ^^^since b4 joining ecoustics a while ago there were some brands i have never heard of ...also alot of ppl dont join forums to learn about new stuff since they just go to a local dealer & think the mainstream brans r the best thing .....

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6530
Canaan, if you're a box builder, build him a HO box for it. Then he'll get SQL for 750w of power. Good enough to impress his friends and you make some money.
I personally don't see the hype on SPL. Sure it's loud, but it's not true music. Guess it all depends on the person.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5349
Isaac,

You are kinda looking at it in a different light.

He came to me looking for an SPL-ish system...then went w/ an SQ-ish sub and is still talking SPL.

I didn't lie to the guy, when he showed me the w7 I told him he did have a good sub. I was happy he didn't get a crappy sub. I do like the way W7's sound, just not worth $500 to me.

Oh...and I am doing a single DD2512 or DD3512 box for the sound room anyways, so he will get to hear one of them.

I think I should let him hear my roommates 07 civic w/ the DD2512 and MB2...even though its off a stock HU, it sounds great.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5297
The only thing about a "sound room" is that it won't sound exactly like that in a vehicle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5351
I can always pull the sub and put it in his truck.

We are building a 'demo-cart' anyways.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5247
what a jac-kass.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 669
Some people are like that. Most just don't know what they want, they just want to make sure they aren't wasting their money. For some reason people think if they buy something expensive it'll impress everyone, so it's the thing to get. I asked a kid getting ready to sell a JL sub to a pawn shop what model it was, and he replied "I don't know, it's JL man" as if that was a great answer to my question.

There are complete idiots out there. I spent over an hour designing a box for two JL W3 15s for a friend on paper, sketching it out for him, and even writing up a cut list so he didn't have to THINK! He built a box that looked nothing like it, saying he thought it would be better. He doesn't know Sh!+ about box building, or car audio, so why he decided to do that was pure ignorance.

Build the guy a nice box so he can show off his JL stuff to his friends, 'cause he has money lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us