Keeps burning why?

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 680
this always happens to my box terminals with in like 2 weeks or so my postive box terminal always gets all burnt up and like melts i went through so many terminals why is this happening?

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 159
Maybe its getting hot???

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 681
yeah but why is it gettin so hot. is this because the alternator is week or just week terminals or what any ideas

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 160
in my experience with electrical connections...and I have 16 years experience...the only time that a connection burns up is from a bad or loose connection. There are some instances where the current through the connection is too high which can cause discoloration or burning, but usually the weakest link is the first to go. So...if your terminals are burning, find a way to make the connection better, maybe solder it, then if the amperage is too high, something else will give...eventually.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 682
do u think it would work better if i dont use terminals at all and just run the speaker wires from inside the box right to the amp instead of using terminals??

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 161
That could work, but you would have to make sure where your wire comes out of the box is sealed up. If you look at Troy Jones original post of the 4 18" btl w/ 4 mojo 4kw. One of the photos shows that he uses a machine screw or something of the sort to connect the wires to inside the box, and I'm sure the same thing on the outside of the box also. That way the box is still air tight (except for the port) and you have a good connection. I would post the picture but the site is doing something funky and your thread is the only thing coming up.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 683
yeah a picture would really help showing how to connect the wires without using terminals

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3573
1. Use bigger wires both inside and outside the box.
2. Make sure the connection is solid, not loose wire twised around a terminal.

If you still have problems after that you trying to use cheap terminals that cant handle as much power as your trying to push through them, but then again not many terminals can handle the power that alot of people push to there systems now days..... so they use bolts and butterfly nuts :p

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 378
use bigger wires.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 552
I'd make sure you're using at least a good 12 guage wire if you aren't already, and like glove said check your connections. As far as the terminals I used- just 3" althread. 3/8 threaded rod, drilled out a hole 5/16 of an inch and screwed the rod in. It forms a nice air tight terminal, then tighten the wire in place from either side using a terminal crimped on to the wire and a nut (some washers help too).

I was looking at some things at lowes- go to the electrical section where they keep the breaker stuff, there's things that will also work there that only need one screw and an allen key. ;)

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 174
Dang Troy, from the pictures those 3/8" bolts look like #8 machine screws...that box must be huge.lol

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 684
yea im using a 12 gauge wire already for the inside of the box. Do you think it would just work out better if i run the wires from inside the box straight to the amp or would it still burn up?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2862
If your wires kkp burning up at the terminals, Then I would be hesitant about running it direct. It may toast the amp terminals, or worse, the subs terminals. Replace that wire with some quality 10-12 awg. Check your amps ground. Terminals should not be getting fried, unless your putting some stupid power through them. What amp and sub combo you running? The threaded rod thing is a good idea, but I would try to find out why they are heating up in the first place. Thats not normal...

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 685
runnin a kicker zx1500.1 to 2 12" kicker l7's

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 686
what if i attach another wire to the wire that keeps burning up the terminals would that help at all like making it longer and then runnin it right to the amp

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 177
Question...are the connections at any other location in the circuit burning? any discoloration? wire coating melting off? or is it just at the box terminals?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 687
its just at the box terminals the postive terminals turns black and melts off and the wire that was connected to it at the tip was black because thats where it fried. everywhere else is fine

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 179
You say this is not the first time...If you are running 12ga like you said, just change to a different kind of box terminal and make sure the connection is tight!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us