Have 3 12's and 1 10 - seperate boxes?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 685
I want to hook up all four subs... but what do you think? Seperate boxes, one big box, ??? I drive a 1990 Dodge Ram Van (so there's plenty of room), have a 900 watt 1ohm stable class D mono amp for subs, and a 400 watt @ 2ohm amp for door speakers. Subs I'm working with are: 12" Diamond Audio D3 (4ohm/DVC), 12" Rockford Fosgate HE (4ohm/SVC), 12" Eclipse (4ohm/SVC), and 10" Focal Polyglass 27v.2 (4ohm/DVC).

Again... should i keep them in seperate boxes or one big one? (obviously seperate airspaces... but one stucture or what?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3182
Best advice, sell 3 of the subs, and the 1 sub you have left, get 2-3 more of those exact same ones. What your trying to do.........I won't even say anything about that, just dont.

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 918
don't do that. it'll sound terrible. never a good idea. take berny's advice.

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 919
why you got all them subs anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1249
OMG! Please listen to Berny

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 454
What part of phoenix do you live? I stay in the west side. And yea mixing subs is a no no it will sound like carp not to mention all the subs have diferent vc configuration

Silver Member

Post Number: 686
BernyMAC:
You were gonna say... "it's phukin' GHETTO"... right? It doesn't bother me none. I asked so I could get answers (and hear opinions too, I suppose).

Ryan Shaw:
I have all these subs because I know they are worth much more than what I payed for them. How could I resist?

TWiZTid:
OMG? lol
I realize that BernyMAC is definately justified in his statement. I also realize that he's a fairly respected authority on the car audio "realm" (in this forum, at least). Since we're on the subject, would you mind explaining exactly why it's bad and what the pros and cons of such a scenario would create? I would greatly apprecitate it.

Julian:
(check your private messages)
The different voice coil configurations are not an issue... they can be wired more than one way... with 2, 3, or all 4 subs - until I've achieved the impedance I'm most happy with.

All:
I guess what I'm most interested in is this: will the differences in subwoofer response and frequency be an issue when the subwoofers are all sharing a common enclosure (as a whole)? Common sense would tell me, "yes"... however, I was just hoping that one of you had some advanced knowledge of the topic so that I could have an understanding, as well.

... know what I mean?

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3183
Well its pretty hard to have advanced knowledge in this subject since it isn't common. I don't know of any professional installers/enthusiasts who have used a mixture of different subwoofers with different specs and built the perfect box for them, nor am I a box builder (so what would I know anyways, but still). But as common sense, I can only realize that their will be some problems. Although it is a ghetto idea, I wasn't going to say that. Its just uncommon and I couldn't imagine the type of sound it would produce. Also, depending how you wire up your subwoofers, you do realize that some will get more power than others right? Having the same type of subwoofer is just better. Your lower frequencies will all sound the same, overall it'll just sound more clean.

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3184
But if you just want me to answer your question:::::

"Again... should i keep them in seperate boxes or one big one? (obviously seperate airspaces... but one stucture or what? "

If you really must, then I guess build a box, but with separate chambers. Atleast it'll look more clean than multiple box's.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2523
dont do it!

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1770
Umm yeah good luck w/ that clusterfuck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 689
Blaine: Why? What would YOU do?

Berny: Thanks for being humble and actually trying to help... good man. I'm not really concerned about how it looks... besides, it's my work van! Who can we ask about this one? Where the phuk is GlassWolf when you need 'em, eh? lol
Oh, about the power supply to each sub, you talking about the decrease as it moves from sub 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 (4 receiving the least amount)?

I know I shouldn't do it... but ONLY from being TOLD not to... you get me? I know you do. Now I'm thirsty to understand WHY... aren't you? Because with car audio, you can always compensate somewhere... somewhat... I'm trying to find out where and how with this scenario.
(by the way, I listen to northern Califas rap - primarily... if that helps at all)

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 904
So, what would the final impendence of all those come out to be? As far a the box goes... hell, who knows. Never heard of anyone trying to do a setup like that, nor do I know anyone that would. Just sounds like a dumb idea to me.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Im just light up my......

Post Number: 2547
music will be insanely muddy... the different sub sizes means better repsonse on differnt notes therefor making the sound nasty and unclear... you can do it but it will sound like sh!t

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
Mark: the final impedence of all 4 subs is approximately 0.67

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
REECE:
ok... but how will it sound $hittier? one box or 4 boxes?

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1276
@ this thread

dude ur messed up

Bronze Member
Username: Circa09skater

Post Number: 34
yea i agree with TWiZTiD

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1277
thank u bro. the dude jus wont listen to us,so i dont understand why he came on here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us