Before i do anything stupid...

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 879
i'm going to buy a soundstream pca2000d amp and wire it at 4 ohms and get 1100w rms until i get electrical upgrades and then i will wire it to 1 ohm. anything wrong with doing this

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1922
no

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 880
good, thanks.

i read somewhere that an amp has the same current draw no matter what you wire it to...

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1042
not true. when the ohm load changes the efficiency of your amp changes. ultimately you have to multiply efficiency in to find current draw :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3027
Actually the efficiency will go up because he will have adequate charging system for the 1/2 load. Most class D's run close if not higher than 80% and at a reduced load it can only get higher. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3028
In all actuality a full load is 4 ohms a short is opposite of a load at 0 ohms. An amplifiers efficiency is the highest at 4ohms and above, begins to fall the closer you bring it to 0 ohms. If your amp is rated at 2 ohm stability and you wire it at 4 ohm the efficieny will be higher because there will be less power wasted on heat. This is why your amplifier makes more heat with less a load. Polo...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11799
i have that exact amp running my 4 10s pioneer 257D2 subs right now - has some real good power but u need to feed it a good high voltage input or line driver ,got a soundstream 5XO preamp on mine now & its loud ! .......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us