Hearse + Memphis Subs in Casket?

Username: Justcadaver

Kentucky

Post Number: 1
I drive a 1991 Miller Meter Hearse. It currently has a wood casket in the back sitting vacant, vacant for SUBS!!!

I currently have this setup:
JVC KD-S580 Direct Access CD-player
2 Memphis MClass 15-MC4.6 Speakers (Front Dash)
2 Memphis MClass 15-MC92 Speakers (Back in mobile Memphis Enclosure with quick disconnects apiece)

I am looking to fill the casket with Subs. The ones I have in mind are:
4 Memphis Power Reference 15-PR15D4
1 Memphis Amp Power Reference Class D 16-PR1.1000.

Would 4 subs be too many for the Amp? How large of a box do I need for each sub? Well would this setup work???

My goal is to have people hear me coming about a block or two away... Basically to go to car shows and make people go wow that sounds awesome.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8239
Subs in a casket, in the back of a hearse?

Wow. That takes balls. Kinda creepy too.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4805
PICS!!!!!!!!

Kentucky

Post Number: 3
The only pictures I have are on my myspace page:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/Modules/ViewMorePics/Pages/ViewAlbums.aspx??fuse action=user.viewAlbums&friendID=26870386&setrsi=1

Their are pictuers under both sections of the hearse while the casket is in the Monsterbash file with Jesica in it, yeah she doesnt mind being in it but now its time to put subs in the casket...

Kentucky

Post Number: 4
Just took some pictures:
Upload
Driver Side
Upload
Passenger Side with view of Quick disconnect and possible location of Amp.
Upload
Inside view of Casket. Large enough for 4 subs?
Upload
Picture of the vehicle.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1847
i wish i could help...

but i wish you the best of luck, that sounds like a schweet idea... in a creepy kinda way... :-)

are you needing help creating the casket into an enclosure or do you got that figured out already?

if you just need to know spec type stuff on the subs and amp im sure alot of us could be of assistance...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1848
i think its definently large enough for four 12"s but im not positive on that. 15"s maybe but it would be harder to find 4 places on there to mount 15"s unless it is possible.

i dont know if you were talking sealed or ported but i was thinking subs up and put aero ports shooting back maybe...

you should be able to find out the inside by measuring all the deminsions and from there it would be easy to find out how many/what size aero ports you could just put in to make it a ported enclosure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1849
thats alot of padding in there, right?

definently room for four 12"s i would think.

fiberglassing all of the inside real good would probably be the first best thing you could do...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1850
quad post FTW!

Kentucky

Post Number: 5
Well I am new to all of this. This is the first time that I have modified anything on a vehicle, I think I did a good job due to everything working, power antenna, all four speakers, radio... I do not know watts from amps from volts... I looked at the Memphis site and seen the largest Subs in the PR range were the ones listed above and the amp. The subs are rated at 250 with peak of 500 while the amp is a Class D? Isn't AB better? An in school is good not a D but D has the most power... PMS power 4 is 300X1, 2 is 600X1, and a 1 is 1000X1. What is PMS power? I have not purchased any subs or amps yet but looking at what would go good with the current speakers that I have.

How do you delete posts? I would like the post above the pics to be deleted because I just uploaded pictures, dial up is a pain.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3538
Was there ever a body in that casket?Looks like a place I'd want to take a nap,that thing looks comfy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8245

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2227

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5804
was that some tampons???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1852
these boards kinda suck, ive heard you can edit your posts but ive yet to see any proof...

rms is what you want to look for.

you typically use class d amps on subwoofers.

if those subs are 250rms apiece then the 1000x1 could be a good match for the subs.

you need to find out what impedence (ohms) the amp does 1000 watts at. if that 1000 watts is RMS or not. and what voice coil the subs are...

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3329
haha wow kinda werid/cool idea, i seen a herse once with a system its was all decked though so it really didn't look like the useall herse, but it was loud as fuckk but he had 6 15's audioburns and 3kx1200.1's but anyway if it was me i'd go 4 12's that have a small mounting depth and build a false ceiling in the casket then have subs fire down into the casket which of course has ports at the oppisite end, be kinda stealthy but thats just my idea.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3330
bump dammit

Gold Member

Post Number: 8255
Tremor, scroll up till you see the "your account" link. Log in and scroll down till you see the list of your latest posts. Click on the edit symbol and make your changes, then save. You only have the ability to edit posts within the last 10-15 minutes or so though.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1083
Ok this was my idea. Ive wanted to do this for ever. Ask anyone that was in chat last night. Thats gonna be bad a,ss man. BTW what part of KY r u in,im in northern KY.

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 971
hahahaha that is creeeeeepppyyyyy

and also really cool, if u do it right, it will turn out very very unique.

Kentucky

Post Number: 6
The casket has no padding at all in it just a thin fabric and the back of the hearse is all fiberglass, the section with the vinyl top. (suppose to save weight but it is still regestard at 6,850 lbs)

If I add two more 15 subs what size amp would I need or would I run all 6 off of one amp??? Would I need two of the PR1.1000? Or would I just need a PR1.500 which has RMS Power 1 of 500X1 and the PR1.100? Which is best having either 500 extra RMS or haveing the exact RMS amount?

TWiZTiD I'm around the Richmond area.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1084
Ha thats funny i was just in Richmond a few days ago. I was at Liquer World right off the exit.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 688
after looking at ur myspace i gotta ask why u like hearses....and whos big white house is that in the back ground

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3865
rheinhold ...i have to see that lol im in ky too
but dont mix sub sizes like your saying.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4807
that is pretty cool.

you should be able to fit 4 12s in their easy. my only concern would be cutting threw the casket. i dont know how thick or what material is underneath the wood finish.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1875
hes kinda set on four 15"s but i dont know where he would mount them...

either way, it was hard to find info on the 16-PR1.1000 but it looks to be 1000rms @ 1 ohm and you said you wanted four of the 15-PR15D4 subwoofers. im taking a guess that they are "dual 4 ohm" subs and they can only be wired down to 2 ohms so the amp would only be distributing around 500 watts to the four subs. you need "dual 2 ohm" voice coils and the model number for those subs should be 15-PR15D2.

Kentucky

Post Number: 7
Well I really do not know what I want besides something loud and sound good. 15s I took them as being better then 12s. I do not know what all I need besides the actually subs and an amp to power the subs.

I figured out the fiberglass comment I thought you meant the vehicle but on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard would putting fiberglass inside a casket be??? Thought I would never ask a question like that. Also on a scale of 1 to 10 building wood boxes? I have some wood working experience building basket trees... Not a whole lot of experience.

I want something that will put other people in AHH when they have their systems going and then I pull up and blow them away

I work at the local Kroger so $$$ is kind of hard to come by being full time student and not making a lot of $$$.

Tremor1127 if this was your vehicle what type of system would you put in it? With the current four Memphis speakers and JVC "Headunit"? The term headunit is referring to the radio???

Put it this way I want basically a setup that will sound good of my own invention or someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2636
I would sell the casket, and make a casket looking ported box for whatever size/many subs you want. Selling the casket will pay for the install.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1879
just simply fiberglassing the inside of the casket should be simple. as long as a good couple of layers are in there and dry it doesnt matter how crappy it looks like cause noone will ever see in there...

building boxes isnt very hard either depending on what tools you have.

what would i put in it? if i was doing the casket idea too?

hmmm... well if i was on a deadline and had to make an order this second it would be...

pioneer premier head unit (yes, its the radio)
pioneer premier components
mpyre, tang band, or dayton midbass speakers. (prolly dayton since they look schweet)
four Fi Q 12"s
and prolly 2 rockford fosgate t2000bd's...
rockford fosgate flex wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1880
is the hearse your daily driven car? :-)

Kentucky

Post Number: 8
Yeah the hearse is what I drive the most. I also have a 2001 Sunfire but I like the hearse!!!

If I have the subs facing down what size cutouts would I need?

I measured the inside space of the casket and it came up to be:

74in Length
14in height
21in width
For a volume of 21756in cubed.

I have a metal casket and then the wood one which the wood one I figure would be easier to work with since I do not have any metal working tools.

Are the current Memphis speakers good ones? They sound 100% better then the factory ones and well I'm stuck with them, used two weeks paychecks on them, $110 for back pair and $140 for front pair I think while the headunit was $40ish on e-bay a while ago.

I am not on a time schedule just wanting to make a good system with a casket in the back of a hearse. The price is... well it is going to take some time to come up with the funds needed to get this project off of the ground... no pun intended.

Kentucky

Post Number: 9
Speaking of selling the casket I have seen people make their own caskets and they looked bad. That's putting it nicely I on the other hand have an actually casket and it looks right at home on the inside of a hearse instead of a growth inside the back. I like the ideal of hiding the subs inside the casket and not worrying about the inside but that's me. The casket is... hard thing to get ride of and no one would want one that's "damaged". That's how I got it cheap.

I went into a local audio center, that was its name Audio Center, and the person their came out and looked at it and told me the list I have up at top would work good. It would just cost me $1415.90 to have them install it and custom build the boxes to put inside the casket.

That would mean that I would need to have the lid in the open position all the time to hear the subs??? The lids do not stay open inside the hearse... wouldn't the lid direct the watts to one side only? I do not know where to begin in this build. I only have the new speakers that I purchased and the JVC head unit.

I want a good sounding system but I want it to look good. Not that people can not make a good looking casket it's just the ones that I have seen look very bad... I figure that buying a real casket and then working around that would be the best way to go.

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 745
why memphis subs whats so great about that get some better quality subs it would look cool with 2 subs on each side of the casket and on top of the box where the top lets down put the amps there would be bad @$$

Gold Member

Post Number: 1883
oh, you dont already have the casket?

the list above looks good but you will only get half the amps power with those subs. you need "DUAL 2 OHM" subs...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1884
never mind about my question of already having the casket.

Kentucky

Post Number: 10
I'm just throwing out names... Well that's all the local audio shop has... Any good online sites that have good subs??? Well I know their are I just do not know their web page.

But yeah putting the subs on both sides... Amp on top... That would look awesome. Have to go and take a look at where they would fit in at.

I really do not have any preference to brand just as long as they sound good.

Bronze Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 22
What is the budget?
I'd say a sealed Q 18 would be a good show piece, and sound great in the process. Slap that memphis 1000 or a memphis 2k on there and you'd be great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
What is the budget?

It would most likely be difficult to port the casket and get it tuned right, and if you have problems the chances of damaging the coffin would be pretty high. You might be better off with just a sealed 18 or 2 15s would give you great output, and like the space you have.
1 18" Fi Q will have similar displacement of 4 12s- and crowds LOVE 18" subs.

You have roughly 10 ft, take 8 of that and seal off the 18" Q. Take the other 2ft and make a nice place for your amp- clean and together. You could finish off the faceplate with like a satin or light tan leather that would match.

The Q will run you around 3-350, and a sundown 1500w is $600, but you can often get them for much less. Or a memphis 1k or 2k. Or a Rockford 1k or 2k.
That would be an amazing setup- and I love hearses- been trying to find one for years.

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 12
If I go with Troy Jones setup what part of the casket would be sealed off??? Would the sub be below the lid... Ill have to take a look and see where I can put an 18.

Think the 18" Fi Q would be a good investment with the Amp inside the casket. Ill have to see what I can come up with in the design part. I want to be able to use the sub while driving so I'm thinking of mounting the sub in the top of the casket with the sub mounted inside a box inside with a cutout in the top of the casket lid???

Any suggestions on this problem of show use and driving use?

Silver Member

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 754
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u108/twoeggcustoms/?action=view&current=Untit led.png

heres an idea that would be pretty cool

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
What I was thinking was putting the 18 facing up. I'd rip out the stuffing in the casket and fiberglass the corners to make sure that it had a good strong air tight box. Then put a piece (or two of mdf over the top of the casket, similar to the pic JB put up, except put the amp at the foot where the 'cooling' was in the pic, with the amp flush mounted in the bottom.
You could take the small section of the lid off the bottom of the box to keep from sealing the sub off, and allow air flow to the amp.

Honestly with as much space as you have you could just mount the amp outside the box and port it with the sub/port facing up instead of damaging the box-though I don't know how that would sound. Just another idea to get more output out of the single sub (plus I like ported more).

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 13
The picture looks like a good ideal thanks J B. I'm with Troy on putting the sub facing up. I will probably need to get some kind of hinges that can come completely off. Think Ill keep the padding in the top of the front section and fiberglass the bottom section and have a little box coming out from below the bottom into the top with some kind of design. Now all I need to get is the sub, amp, and build the box end and fiberglass the inside somehow while fiber glassing the top... If you hear of a freak accident in Kentucky of a guy fiber glassing a casket it's me

Silver Member

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 763
that didnt turn out too bad i made it while i was drinkin everclear

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 14
Think I have an ideal of what to do. Think I should have some of that Everclear stuff your drinking J B.

Upload

As you can tell I am not the best with "Paint" on computers. If I had a scanner I would put up my drawing up instead. I tried to color code all the areas for easy viewing. Dark gray is going to be enclosed while the blue is open and green is their for the lid and top of the box that I am thinking about building to expand the enclosed area to the recommended area needed. Red is for optional locations and the yellow is another smaller box for the amp.

I think one of the numbered locations would look good, yeah I used Roman Numerals easy to draw in "Paint". [I] is referring to the spot inside the casket...

Location [I] would look good but would mean that I would have to either only used the system at car shows or leave the lid off all the time. The other two spots would allow me to use it while driving around town but would involve cutting into that Argental wood... Looks easy... Knock on wood.

If I do go with [II] or [III] would a wood box work? Build a wood box to go into a wood casket? That would make sure that the sub would have an air tight chamber instead of fiber glassing the inside. The [I] spot looks good just do not know what to do with the lid as of yet.

I think I will build a smaller box for the amp to sit on top of in the remaining open area. That should allow air flow all around the amp to prevent it from overheating. But that it what I have came up with as of now.

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 15
How many watts would one Q 18 give me??? Who is this "Q" brand"? The Sundown?

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 533
I think they mean the Fi Q from ficaraudio.com

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 16
Thanks Nick for the information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8378
Speakers don't have watts. And an 18" Q can handle according to specs 1000w rms. Nice for the $$. $309 shipped is a good deal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
The 18 Q (ficaraudio) with options should be good on 1500wrms+ with a clean signal.

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 17
Watts... ment rms. What is the constant not peak wrms?

Silver Member

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 764
sub at III and port at I

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
No, I mean watts rms, not peak. That is constant power handling (like I said, with options- stock its a little over 1000 rms). I have no idea what the peak is, they don't rate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Peak and Rms are two different things, and anyone or any company rating peak rms is full of bs. (I think I read one amp manufacturer writing this). Peak is irrelevant, and while I've talked to people running 2kw on their Q for short periods, with the BP power option added you should be good for 1500rms all day.

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 18
Sounds good. I head something about ignoring the peak and only worry about the Rms. Now the next phase of this endeavor is to build the box... I do not have any fiberglass... What size of plywood do you use? The stuff that I have seen looks like it is 3/4 in thick. Is that thick enough material to start out with? I am thinking of building a box that I know will take the punishment that I give it instead of hoping that the modifications to the casket hold up. So a box inside a casket... Never thought I would say that.

What is with this "port" that I hear about? I thought that your goal was to build a box that did not have any holes in it to begin with. If I make a box to go inside that casket what size port would I need to accommodate a "Q" subwoofer power? Is it 10 cubic feet?

Use some algebra (I think)...

A box with these dimensions should be big enough?
Height 13.25in
Width 21.25in
Length 35.5160 = 35.6in
Area is 10023.625in cubed or 10 cubic feet.

If that is right I have enough room to add another "Q" and still have 1 inch or room left... Not much room for an amp unless I mount the amp in the roof of the casket because their is a 3 in clearance in the center. Or have the amps mounted on top of the boxes and just have it for car shows...

Cut the lid in half that way they can be open inside the hearse while driving...

So all I need is:
4 hinges
2 18" Q's
2 Sundowns
2 custom boxes
Many hours of work and fabrication
= one loud hearse... casket in hearse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8403
Most use MDF for the box and the port is used to gain efficiency. You're looking for loud so that's the way to go.

And recheck your math. I get somewhere in the 5-6 cu's for those dimensions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8404
And what are you looking to do, wake the dead????

C'mon. Everyone's been DYING to say it lol.

^^^Look, another funny.

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 965
Dont use Plywood thas not the best for subwoofers enclosures try to get some 3/4 inch MDF

Gold Member

Post Number: 8407
I don't think you have the room inside the casket for a box big enough for 2 18" Q's. In fact I'm sure you don't. I have my single 18" Q in 9.5 cu's alone. JMDO

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 966
sorry Paul didn't see your post first but yeah ehh not too funny but make sure to get some tweeters so you can have your ears "dead ringing" hahahahahahahaha

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 19
Why I only use my fingers and toes to count... LxWxH=area... I need more hands and feet...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
74in Length
14in height
21in width
For a volume of 21756in cubed.

^^ what happened to those dimensions? I'd use that space for a single Q, tuned around 32-35hz. You could make the port around 21x4".
And I'd use 3/4" mdf, or 2 layers of 1/2 mdf pressed together to make 1" mdf.
I like that amp on the lid idea, would be nice if you could accomodate for cooling. If you seal the Q it will still have enough space for you to put your amp in the bottom of the casket, but ported will have a lot more output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us