Make me a shopping list

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1035
Well i think im gonna take a shot at building a new box,which will be my first attempt at one, this weekend. I was wondering what are the best brands/type of things i will need. I know ill need screws,wood glue,caulk,and of course the mdf. Anything else? What about those clamps that ive seen ppl using? Should i get some of those? Also i was wondering if it would be ok to nails from a nail gun instead of screws. What kinda costs am i lookin at for everything?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team RevolutionImortal Box ...

Post Number: 8107
Your looking at spending anywhere from $40-$100 depending on size / brands.

Silicone caulk
Titebond Wood glue
1 5/8 coarse threaded screws
3/4 MDF
Wood filler to fill the screw holes.
And some bigass clamps.

Dont use a nail gun. You never really know where the nails are going to go. They might shoot out of the side of the box and ruin the wood / cowshit:-(.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7554
I'd like to know the tools you'd be working with. I knew a guy once who tried cutting the sub hole out with a circular saw. I looked at him in amazement and he stammered back: "What? Don't tell me there's a special tool for that!"

It made my weekend.

Gold Member

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1036
Well i was gonna have the ppl at Home Depot cut everything for me. I know that everyone says they are bad at it but thats the only way i can get the wood cut.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2042
Theres always a old guy in the lumber department that knows what he is doing find that guy and you should be ok.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3176
You dont need clamps... i never used them and all my boxes came out fine, never had a air leak or bracing problem.

Gold Member

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1037
Killa, what do you do then,just hold down the peice of woof til the glue dries? Im not being sarcastic or joking im really wondering how you do it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3177
I predrill the holes for the screws, then i put the glue on the edge of the board, and screw it down with the glue in between the pieces of wood. Works like a charm, just dont over do it with the glue or you have to wipe the stuff off that comes out the side.... after that i silicone the inside of the box for the final seal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7582
The guys at the home center can cut the straight cuts for you but you're still on you're own with the hole. Personally I like to glue a joint and try not to move it around so much until the joint sets a bit. The first few minutes in a glued joint is important, thus the clamps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3183
But if you do it like i said, the screws act as a clamp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3184
also i use 1 1\4 inch screws. THey are fine. They go 3\4 into each piece of wood. You can also buy bolts\nuts for the terminals in the box if you want. Use butteryfly nuts ;)

Also when doing the cutout if your not familiar with it or dont have somthing to trace the cutout with (some subs come with a piece of paper to trace cutouts) get a str8 piece of wood, and mark the center of where you want the cutout to be, drill a hole threw the box cutout center and the str8 board, stick a screw driver or somthing in the hole so that the str8 board can be turned and stay center, then mark another spot on the str8 board exactly half of what the cutout size should be, stick a pencil in the hole or somthing else to mark it. Twist the board in a circle.... there is you perfect cutout hole... if you dont understand this i will draw u a pic.

Gold Member

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1038
I understand Killa but i dont have any tools to make the circle cutout. I guess im screwed then. I dont know what to do. I just want my sub to sound good.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team RevolutionImortal Box ...

Post Number: 8122
I wouldnt use bolts for terminals. Direct connet FTW!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7591
Just don't run the wires out the port. Small hole in the back with some silicone.

And get yourself a cheap jigsaw. $20.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 279
yeah i use 1 1/4" fine thread drywall screws works like a champ, never had a problem. I found coarse thread split the mdf more often then fine thread.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7610
And if you cut your own MDF wear a respirator or at least a dust mask. I even wear ear plugs cause the dust is like none other and can get to the unimaginable places.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us