What is goin on with my truck?

Bronze Member
Username: Gmcridin22s

FL

Post Number: 27
ok guys i have been watching over alot of threads and using that info for my system upgrades. i recently did the big three wiring upgrade. but here is the problem, i have some serious light dimming at night. my truck has a 105 amp alt. i have no power windows, no power locks. the only amp i have is a jl audio e4300. not nearly close to the 1000 watts rms that you guys say i can run on a stock alt. dammnit what is the problem. i did the big three with 0 guage. all done properly. and i have 2 guage running to the amp. all my grounds are secured and well sanded. i just dont know what i am doing wrong. one of the channels is running a mtx thunder 6000 and two are running my front door speakers. the voltage reading on my dash dooesn't go below 14.4 but my lights dim. anybody have and suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5076
u dont have to replaceyour wiring juzz add it to the stock wiring..

ok dude heres your problem if ur voltage dont go below 14.4

check all yoru fuses and relays then u might shortening some wires form your electrical system.. check the fuses from your dash and the fuses that are in the engine go check the wiring for your lights for burning wire they might be touching the frame of the vehicle...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2698
A stock electrical system handling 1000 watts is just the general rule. Some can take a little more, some less.

Now, you need to know how much your voltage is dropping. If it fluctuates but stays above 12.5, your system is fine. Even with an HO alternator you may not be able to eliminate that. But if it drops below 12.5, you need an HO alternator.

Bronze Member

FL

Post Number: 28
the voltage meter on the dash doesnt go below 14v. but my lights are dimming so that means i must be losing enough voltage to cause that.i used to have a power acoustik a2400d running without the big 3 and i had a little more voltage drop and dimming. but not by much.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2699
Dash voltmeters are not accurate, you need to measure it with a DMM. And as I just said, if it doesn't drop below 12.5 it's fine. Some alternator voltage regulators are just not fast enough to keep up with spikes in current draw, causing a momentary drop to battery voltage. There's not much can be done about it.

Bronze Member

FL

Post Number: 29
ok i will get a dmm from my dad tomorrow and check it after work. would a yellowtop help any?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2712
Nope

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2448
Some dimming is normal. If it is dropping below 12 volts, then it is a problem. I hate to say, but a cap may buy the time your alt needs to catch up. If your staying above 13 volts, and it still dims try a cap. Save the reciet if it doesnt work, return it and use the cash towards a bigger alt.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1333
when using a DMM to see how much voltage drop u have what setting do you use on the DMM. Also do you put it on thw main power wire going into the amp?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2749
DC volts. Yes you measure voltage at the amp, that's where it matters. Just probe the amp's power and ground terminals.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2751
bump

Bronze Member

FL

Post Number: 35
ok guys i checked my voltage with my dads digital dmm and my voltage dropped down to 13.7v at full power. i think i am just going to save up some money over the next couple weeks and get th h/o alt. i hate my lights dimming.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2782
13.7 volts indicates that your electrical system has enough power. An HO alt will most likely not make a difference. If you read what I said before:

" Some alternator voltage regulators are just not fast enough to keep up with spikes in current draw, causing a momentary drop to battery voltage. There's not much can be done about it. "

Silver Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 394
13.7 is completely in the range. 13.8-14.4 is the safe average voltage range coming from the alt. but if its only dropping to 13.7 your ok, and an ho alt might not solve the problem becuase voltage regulators can just not keep up sometimes

Bronze Member

FL

Post Number: 38
well i plan on upgrading my amp in a couple weeks also. i will be running about 1400 rms so i dont think my stock alt will be able to handle it.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2783
Well in that case, it would be good to get an HO alt. Just don't expect it to completely stop the lights from dimming.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us