Budget System for my friend...MARK POTTS--->TYPE R?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

151.9db Dail... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2261
Ok it came down to this...my friend was going to go with the FI BL w\flatwind and P chamfer but decided he wants it a bit more louder then low... Orrignally he was going to go with 2 L5 12's but i told him they have sh1t SQ and wont really get low.. So now we are looking into a pair of 12" Alpine Type R's... he has about 5cu to work with and wants it to get loud as possible but still get the lows decently... he only has about 300$ for a pair of subs... and he has 1300-1400rms @ 2ohms to mess with... would that be fine for the Type R's daily or will the extra 300-400rms toast the coils? Please give your input, im trying to get the best out of both SPL and SQ for the 300$ on the 1300-1400rms..... Type R's tuned to 38hz?

BTW its going in the trunk of a dodge neon...fairly small cabin.. and he will probally ride with the seats down half the time...

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3950
personally i wouldn't tune it that high. i had mine at about 1.75cuft each at about 32hz. just make a box about 3.5-4cuft. at anywhere from 32-35hz. and you should be set. and they'll take that power just fine.

or wait for mark to post since he has more experience with the r's than probably anyone here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2268
lol thats why i put him in the title :-)

Why would you not tune them that high? Im not looking for the best SQ possible from the subs but pretty much i want to know the best tuning for the best SQ and best SPL output... and then i will tune it to the middle of those.. but he doesnt really know what SQ is so i could get away with tuning it high and he will still be in awe from the outcome, and i want it to handle that power fine... if he blows the subs he will prolly blame it on me for his misuse... but i am also making sure i listen to the system bump for about 30mins b4 i tell him its all good... wanna make sure i dont smell VC.... although he knows what that smells like now..... JBL Bp1200.1 + Dual 12's = Smokey trunk FTL haha

He always used cheap equipt and prefab boxes... i had a 10" pioneer IMPP on 250rms that was louder then his 2 DUAL 12's on his sony 1000\2ch amp bridged..... and it sounded better... shows how big of a improvment he is doing to his system since i got involded lol

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1971
Dude... the BL is louder than it is low. The R's will take the 1300 RMS fine, BTW.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4090
I just did an install for a friend with 2 PG ZR 12s in a 3.8 cuft ported box tuned to 33hz with a octane R15.... tuned it to 600w rms with my dmm and put a lil bass boost.... I'm VERY impressed with them. he drove by a portable at school today and this kid was like damn whats he got L7s?? nope lol. 110$ shipped to his door brand new. the entire system, wiring and everything (stock HU though) and my labor, cost him 600$ total for everything. very good budget system.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4434
oh shyt trevor u got em???? damn dude good shyt no u can rep up pg too and let em know about em....

try 800 rms to each sub ull see wat it can do :-)

and yes the pg will be better than the type r for alot less money :-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4091
yeah man. well because of the stock HU, and the fact that he knows nothing, i figured 600w rms should be good. he wouldnt have a clue if he was clipping or not.

NO I'm not saying get these over SSds or Qs and stuff but for 55$ its like holy sh!t good. i wanna see what the MAW 12s and 15s can do cause they're only like 70 or something. Cheap good subs like these make ya wanna do like a 8 12 setup haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2279
Well.... Prefered dimensions of the box are......
36Wx23Dx16H how will that go with 2 12 type r's?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4103
thats more than enough room.

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 408
2 R 12's would work fine...

if you want low tune low, 38hz is not low enough at all.

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 196
"Well.... Prefered dimensions of the box are......
36Wx23Dx16H how will that go with 2 12 type r's?"

Im making mine tonight, is this more than enough room, or not enough?

34.5W x 17D x 14.5H

Gold Member

Post Number: 2281
How loud do you think they will hit tuned to 32hz? Remember HE IS NOT INTO SQ LIKE MOST OF YOU, mainly SPL, he just wants it to sound decent and get loud... Sorry, i meant to say those were my max dimensions. What do these subs peak at..?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 1882
Dude you should know how to build a box...if you're going for SPL tune HIGH and usually the small boxes get loudest.32 hz is way too low man.Try 40-45 hz.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1408
^^^^ no these subs like lows and roll off at like 45hz... tune 32-35hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1894
"^^^^ no these subs like lows and roll off at like 45hz... tune 32-35hz"

^Umm tuning 32-35 hz for SPL?I think not.Call me ret arded but since when have the LOWS been good for SPL?Seriously.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4110
correct me if im wrong but hes not going for SPL, hs going for loudness... if hes not strictly competeing then he wants it to be loudest by ear, not meter. i tuned those PG ZR 12s to 33hz and they slam like all hell for the price. louder than my 15 mag sealed on 1000 and those ZRs are getting 600. people are mistaking them for much more expensive subs. no lie, I've always put my name around if someone wanted a box built but not much attention... within 2 days i had 4 requests for a box to be built after that kid started driving around with the ZRs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1908
"Why would you not tune them that high? Im not looking for the best SQ possible from the subs but pretty much i want to know the best tuning for the best SQ and best SPL output."

I guess I sorta mis read but either he wants SQL or he wants SPL.If you want the most SPL you're going to lose SQ plain and simple.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2303
Thats what i said... i want it inbetween im trying to find the best tuning\box size for max SPL and then best tuning\boxsize for best SQ and i want to go into the middle of both. I know for the most part higher tuning is louder to a point and lower tuning isnt as loud... but better SQ..

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 204
mine is in progress.. Lunch break right now, but the final dimensions are going to be 36" Long x 14" Tall x 16" Deep. Im taking pics so will post once everything is done. Can anyone tell me how to post pics btw? Lol im a newbie i guess....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us