Need power for my type x 12

Username: Russ636

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased an Alpine type x 12 and an Alpine mrd1005 amp. I an very disappointed. I have 8s that hit harder. The stereo shop tells me I need more power. The amp is ran at two ohms and the certificate syas it is pushing 1176 watts. Why does it sound so weak. How much power do I need to push this sub? Its in a good box and was professionally installed. Any suggestions on the right amp to push this sub?

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1119
R GOFF

Thats a good match.

Sounds like you have your sub wired wrong.
For you to get that amp down to 2ohm you need a dual 4ohm sub and this is how you would wire it.

http://www.cardomain.com/shop/wooferwizard.pl?num_of_subs=1&impedance_of_subs=4o hm_dvc&x=137&y=15

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11864
the type x is not a heavyweight when it comes to spl...check all of ur knobs make sure everything is set right..and Like joey said make sure it is weired right

Post Number: 5
Both the sub and amp are wired correctly. The sub has dual 4 ohm voicecoils. The coil jumpers have it running at 2 ohm. It barely shakes my rearview. Should I be thinking about boxes instead? The box is a sealed .75 cubic ft box that is in the trunk of my G35. Will a larger box get me more bass? maybe ported? What amp will make this speaker pound? Alpine pdx1.1000? Fosgate power 2000bd1? I have a capacitor and dont want to alter my cars charging system.

Post Number: 6
I would like to get spl without sacrificing sq. Do I need to off this speaker and try something else. JL W6? RF POWER? I am returning the amp and trying something else.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 604
Ported.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1124
Thats a good amp a friend of mine is running one to a Kicker Solo Baric L7 15" and it hits pretty damn hard. Are you sure you have the sub wired right.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4298
alpine Type X are power hungry, but they should flex something in your ride or is f*cked.

If you want, sell it locally, buy a FI SSD and port it.

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 220
ur amp does put out 1176 watts most likely @ 14.4 v, check your electrical system make sure ur charging voltage is around 14 v and make sure u r able to pump out around 80amps....(E*I=Watts) so if ur engine is running greater than idel speed u should be getting around 14v....take off ur capacitor and giv it a shot u'll porbably see a diffrence

Bronze Member
Username: Mschwitz

Milwaukee, Wi

Post Number: 29
Build a ported box around 3.0 to 3.5 ft 3 use 2-4" pnr ports and tune around 28-32hz. You will love this sub if you build the right box for it. I had to try four boxes last year and finally got it right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us