WinISD....Reliable?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 436
Is winisd reliable for ballpark regions? Say, to find out if one woofer would be louder than another, not to exact dB... but yeah...

opinions..?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11681
reliable, yes it does the math for you but what you need to keep in mind is that this software plots responses anechoically. as in, no cabin gain compensation etc.. like playing the box in a big room.
you'll need to factor in the cabin gain yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 437
Well yes, each install is vehicle-specific.

As for cabin gain, how would you realistically figure that out?

It's gonna be in a regular cab truck, so small airspace...

Been awhile GW, you comin back to ecoustics? :P

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1589
As for cabin gain, how would you realistically figure that out?

Here's what I do to get a rough guesstimate:

http://linearteam.proboards12.com/index.cgi?board=winisd&action=display&thread=1 087022128

Still what happens acoustically in a car is just plain ugly and nearly impossible to model well. What I do is throw up an alignment I'm familiar with from a vehicle I'm familiar with and compare THAT with something I'm looking to try out. However, all the modeling in the world will not tell you how "good" it sounds which is why some peeps like "ported" and others like "sealed". Just because it looks good in WinISD doens't mean you're gonna like how it sounds.

The most useful thing I've found in Win ISD are the box building tools which can help you figure out port tuning with different port geometries and enclosure volumes and vent velocities that'll help you avoid port "whistle". All the other stuff requires quite a bit of acoustic knowledge about what goes on inside a car to be of much use.

-Fishy

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11688
add 12dB/octave below about 50Hz. that usually suffices for cabin gain.
makes a sealed box look flat, and a ported box look like it spikes around the ported freq then rolls off pretty sharply.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us