Fuse blowing...

Bronze Member
Username: Boxy_brown

Post Number: 79
ok i have every thing hooked up, the battery to the fuse the fuse to the amp the amp to the chasie, the amp is a mdc 2500 memphis i have 1/0 wire running from the battry to the amp and amp to chase and fuses fuse is 250 i hooked every thing up when i put the ground cable in to the amp the fuse blew was it beacuse i had the positive hooked up and in the amp ?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 817
First of all, why are you installing equipment without first disconnecting your negative battery cable?

Secondly, is this amp new or used? If the amp is internally damaged it can cause a short and blow the fuse.

Third, are you sure you didn't accidentally switch the positive and negative wires going into the amp? That will also blow the fuse.

Bronze Member
Username: Boxy_brown

Post Number: 80
amp is new and im sure i didn't switch the wires going to the amp i just checked would not disconnecting the negative first blow a fuse

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 819
You should always disconnect the negative battery cable before doing any electrical work, otherwise you risk serious damage if an unhooked positive cable comes in contact with metal (ground).

If you are absolutely sure that all your wiring is good, do this: disconnect negative batt cable, replace fuse, reconnect batt cable. If it blows again, there has to be something wrong with the amp.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9527
or I have seen people run wires down the rocker panels and when they go to put them back in they screw through the power wires grounding them out. Do what M.S. said and if it still blows then you take it from there. process of elimination!

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 821
^^^^^ If that were the case the fuse would blow immediately, not after he connected the amplifier.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9530
yeah, he didn't specify when the fuse blew, I doubt it happened but you never know.

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 823
" when i put the ground cable in to the amp the fuse blew "

Sounded clear enough to me?

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9534
overlooked that man, my bad. It's been a long day lol

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 824
happens to all of us

Username: Redneck0838

Post Number: 1
Hi i have a 1000 watt 2-channel amp and i have had it for about 3 months now and just about 4 days ago it started blowing fuses on the amp. So i keep putting them in I NEED HELP

Bronze Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 89
always ground the amp first
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us