Alternator question

Silver Member
Username: Icecreamman5687

Post Number: 125
does anyone have the formula for finding what size alternator u should run whit the size amp u have... i have a hifonics bxi1606d..

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3269
what size alt. do you have now and do you have any other amps?

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 268
I suggest 250A because you still need the extra amps for the factory equipment. JMO

Bronze Member
Username: Whitewidow

IL

Post Number: 26
Try taking a look at some local shops in your area. My buddy owns an auto shop and upgrades any alt to 160amp for a very minimal amount or can build bigger sizes for fairly cheap. So just a suggestion check out some local stuff and see if you can't just get an upgrade for much less.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1311
Just my opionion.... DONT EVER buy from a Audio Dealer in a local shop, without first pricing around. The audioshops by me, the only one i could find that had bigger alt. was Music in Motion.. and they wanted 1100$ for it, but thats installed to...for no charge....they said....LMAO and thats only a 200A i can get a 300A for 450$

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 404
yes i have an equation. if its a class D amp then it is (wattage X 1.15) / volts = AMPS needed

for example if your system is 1600 watts and 12 volts it would be 1840/12= 153 amps

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
Like I suggested 250amp because remember that your vehicle came with 90 to 100 amp for factory equipment and that 153a is only what the amp needs so you still need 60 to 110 amps extra depending on the extra equipment you have or might add. Plus this leaves room for upgrades. Hope that helps.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3444
just get the biggest you can find...wont have to upgrade later down the road

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3133
and troy your a little off there. a class D amp is not 85% efficiant its 80 so you mulitply by 1.2

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
I agree with Yanks fan but if you are on a budget than I would go no lower than 250a. I also agree with Mat Dope.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
I agree with Yanks Fan but if you are on a budget than I would go no lower than 250amp. I also agree with Mat Dope.

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
Sorry for the duplicate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
depends on what amp mat, my P3000.1 claims 85% effiency, so i just use it as a benchmark for class D

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3149
hm thats weird troy, iv heard those amps are pretty power hungry but i guess efficant too. but the standard for class D amps is 80% really that 5% doesnt make much difference but just saying...

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
once i do the install i will be sure to tell you how it performs, but i just went off of massive's claims. well see

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1197
"for example if your system is 1600 watts and 12 volts it would be 1840/12= 153 amps"

This may be true for full volume test tones, but I don't think there are many of us that have listening habits quite so extreme.

Even bass-heavy music at full volume will require about 1/3 test tone power. So realistically - rms power for that amp, at full volume playing music is going to be around 50A.

It's this principle (crest factor) that explains why thousands of people can (and do) run 1000w+ systems in their civics and corollas for years and never have an electrical system problem.

I'm all for beefing up an electrical system when it's needed, but 250A for an efficient 1500w amp is way overkill IMO.

(assuming an average car with average stock electronics) -- If it were me -- I'd look for something around 150A and expect it to be enough for the HF and a good sized a/b to run the front stage.
However, I don't have very high demand listening habits - if you do, a 200A alt might be worth the extra $.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us