What kind of a box in a truck??

Silver Member
Username: Razzeldazzel06

Post Number: 215
i hear sealed are better for cars but fr a truck more sq and spl come from ported boxes...if i get two jlw6's and i want them ported and i dont have much room what do i do..is their a small ported box i can get that are somewhat equal to a sealed box just alittle bigger???

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1229
if its goin behind a seat i would build one like a regular truck box, with a port comin out the side, if u hav the depth to do that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
is that true though..it sounds better ported in a truck even for sq and spl then when sealed???

Gold Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 1233
if its built well it will sound very good. tune in the mid to low 30s and it will sound nice.
Heres one i built. Looks rough in the pics cuz it was jus put in for fittin, and we ran outta MDF for the double front thats y theres plywood there. Edges hadn't been sanded yet either, but u get the idea. this was for 1 15"SSI tuned to 32hz. sounded very good, far better than sealed.
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1653
i still dont get how that thing is for a 15 sub. how much volume does it have again?

Gold Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 1239
about 2.3cuft., i forgot the port space tho. Sounds very very nice tho, wish i could get sum new pics with it actually looking nice one i fixed the front, sanded, and painted over it(I suck at carpeting). Still didn't put in a terminal either, we jus left the wire runnin out the port.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1507
Yes it is true.

A sealed box is usually smaller in size compared to a ported box because the difference between a small sealed box's F3 and a large sealed boxes F3 is a very small difference.

For example;

You may find that your sub can be used in a 1 CF sealed box with an F3 of say 60 Hz. Now if you want a lower F3, you may go as large as say a 2 CF sealed box, but your F3 will only be down to about 50 Hz. So there is a big "space" price to pay just to gain 10 Hz lower.

Now,

You may find out that the smallest ported box you can build for your sub is still 1 CF, but this will yield a 50 Hz F3. Hmmmmmmmm, it is already lower than the sealed in the same volume. To get a lower cutoff (F3), you may go as large as say a 3.5 CF box, but now the F3 will be as low as say 28 Hz.

This is why most people say that a ported box is usually bigger than sealed boxes. They fail to see that the F3 is not the same.

The reason people build ported boxes is to change the air pressure inside the box, which in return allows the driver to create larger waves, thus producing lower frequencies.

Ported boxes also have a 3dB gain at the frequency that you tune the port at. So this also makes ported boxes more favorable because you get louder.

DONT FORGET !!!

A ported box has a SHARP downward 18-24 dB slope beyond the tuning frequency, so you are not going to get much lower frequencies than the tuning at expected volumes.

A sealed box doesnt slope as sharp as a ported box, so you get a gentle 3-6 dB slope beyond the tuning frequency. This will allow your sealed box to still get lower beyond the F3.

So, to exaggerate a little bit, there is a small difference in speaker-to-box output between the sealed and the ported because there is the 3 dB gain that a ported box yields. This is talking about the same size volume box only.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1508
Here was an interesting debate. It has a few pictures of graphs that show how a sealed plots out on a graph compared to a ported box. I dont know why my pictures dont upload anymore. I guess they shrank the pics when they put them in archives.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/199004.html

Gold Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 1243
how do u figure the F3 of a sealed box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
i hear that 1 sub ported has better sq and better spl then two subs sealed in a truck....is this true???

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
???????????????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us