Recomend me a jig saw please

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 9892
i am looking to spend around $50 on a jig saw. i have a old black and decker jigsaw and this thing takes 30 minutes to cut out a single sub cut out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9893
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 551
for some reason that looks like sponge bob square pants to me^^^^^anyone else see what i'm sayin or should i put down the blunt...?

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 334
I suppose the Dewalt is more than $50, but you can't beat them. My grandfather h only uses Dewalt and they are awesome to work with.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9894
hahaha i uploaded that pic to show someone my box design.

but you are right. it does. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1870
B&D is an ok tool brand. You using quality blades? Not those 6 for a dollar type. But a nice Milwakee or dewalt new blade?
Why not just buy a router and a circle jig? Ive have had my B&D for 15 years with out any problems. Again use a new quality blade designed for MDF. Sounds like your using a metal blade. 1/2 hour to cut 1 hole? Even 10 minutes is too long. And for fifty bucks, Look at B&D line.

http://www.nextag.com/Black-Decker-Black-and-507523938/prices-html

"A good quality jig saw is without a doubt the most versatile saw that you will ever use. These are great for cutting out intricate shapes and are very good for cutting out spaces in Kitchen worktops for Hobs and sinks. Poor quality ones vibrate tremendously and make cutting straight almost impossible, the blade also tends to wonder from side to side producing angled cuts! Good quality ones have many features including variable speed and orbital action which makes cutting thick pieces of wood easy. I once tried one of the models with a scrolling feature on but it was almost impossible to move it!"

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 Wangers Club[:-] Premier Member

Post Number: 5340
LMFAO HAHAHAHAAH...Craftsman is what i use..

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Wishes there was an 18...

Post Number: 791
you cut your circles with a jigsaw? wow dude, buy a router... i got a $25 pawnshop special that cuts em perfect... i made my own circle jig with a clipboard... :-)

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 Wangers Club[:-] Premier Member

Post Number: 5341
I hate routers

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 3269
I have three.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9924
hahahaha nice pic. anyways. got a question about a router. i've never used one.

my question is.......if you cut a circle with the router, wouldn't the router fall through after the circle has been cut?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3398
thats y u hold on2 it lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 9926
yea but you anchor it to the center of the circle right? so when the circle is cut, the center will fall through and your anchor.

and yes there is something the great chad lee doesn't know. rofl.

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 3271
Yes yes. Please hold on to any tool that has two handles with two hands. The router's weight will shift to the outside edge as long as you don't balance yourself wrong.

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 3272
Believe it or not, I prefer the jigsaw. Less setup time for the tools. Like Marc said, use good sharp blades. If you're good with your hands you don't need jigs, just the line. After all, you're not making furniture. Bosch makes excellent blades, imo.

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 566
I TOLD YOU THAT MUTHER FVCKER LOOKED LIKE SPONGEBOB HAHAHAHAH

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1872
You lay the piece you want to cut on scrap wood and cut thru both

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 9930
thanks marc. now it makes sense to me.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2942
or you can just get a rotozip for less :-)

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1874
No prob Chad

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 792
"thats y u hold on2 it lol"

bwahahahaha!

yeah, i heard the rotozip is the way to go now... my friend told me about an infomercial on one and said it is a must have... i have only seen what one looked like on the package for one of its accessories...

but yeah, you just kinda let everything fall through the hole and work it all out once you get your anchor of whatever type (i used a nail on my supercustom circle jig) out of the circle you just cut. and it was all kinda cheap. perfect circles...

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1875
"We smoke as we shoot the bird"

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 253
Dewalt = Black and Decker. And I agree 100% with Marc, it's all in the blades, especially when you are working with a motherf**cker like mdf. There is so much glue in that stuff and it dries hard as a rock, and blades and bits don't like rocks.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1883
A rotozip will not last cutting 3/4 mdf. They were made for cutting drywall, laminates, paneling and other light materials. Yes it will work, but it will take forever and will kill the tool.
Roto zip = tiny toy router.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9932
marc = tool man. tim allen. lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10589
i use an orange colored black\decker - take about 3-5mins to cut a 12" sub hole ,it works ok but it needs more power since its a light duty home owners jigsaw

im thinking about upgrading mine to either a
MAKITA
DEWALT OR
MILWAUKEE

^^^ my 3 fav heavy duty tool brands - imo craftsman is just a step above B&D but not near as good as those 3 ....

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2949
pfft.. ill back up the rotozip.. i cut out both holes for my 15s and it was quick.. and smoother than a jigsaw..

if not get a router :-).. besides that you can get yourself a new bit and round off port edges and ect..

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 155
ROTOZIPS SUCK, ROTOZIPS SUCK!!!!

Chad,

If your router is plunge type and depending on what type of depth gauge set it has, what you can do is set your depth for whatever thickness your cutting thru and then set the micro adjustment a 32nd heavy, that way you won't cut thru the full thickness and drop thru.

Take a razor knife and cut thru the rest and viola, your done.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1475
B & D and Dewalt are owned by the same company. lol :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9935
i think ima stick to jig saw. or maybe i'll leave the dirty work for phil to do. lol. i might be in contact real soon phil.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Chad,

A cheap azz B&D jigsaw will cut MDF like butter with the right blade.

I know that HD sells blades of B&D jigsaws, actually, I already did a search for the blades on HD's site.

This is HD's part number - #100019178
Bosch 10 Piece Jigsaw Blade Assortment

If you use blades - U101B and /or U144CO, they'll cut thru MDF like butter.

You can use - U19BO for cutting MDF, it'll just be a finer, smoother cut and take alittle longer to cut.

As for the other matter, just drop an e-mail.

Silver Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 258
I have been using my Dremel to cut through the 3/4 MDF, it takes a while, but tool #561 works fine with it, and don't forget about the guide. I don't know how it will last, as I have only done about 3 sub cut-outs.........Are you all saying that I will destroy the life of my Dremel?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Rotary Tools like rotozips and dremels were not really designed to handle heavy duty cutting work.

Sure, you can use them, but they won't live up to the beating because I had a RotoZip at one time, thing lasted like a few months before the motor croaked.

Silver Member

Post Number: 802
am i like the only person that likes using a router for holes? i guess i just like it cause you just pull the trigger and let it do all the work, im a lazy bostard...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9070
I wouldnt give up my dewalt for anything:-)

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3413
i have like a 15 dollar black and decker and every1 who says its in the blade is right....i was cuttin mdf one time lol and i was using a metal blade, 5 minutes passed and i wasnt through even a quarter of it...i looked at the blade and it said metal, i switched to wood and in a matter of 40 seconds i finished it

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1483
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-4-5amp-JIG-SAW-Kit-DW318K-New_W0QQitemZ2385525744QQih Z001QQcategoryZ20786QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

This is what I own. I bought mine at Home Depot about 5 years ago or so. Its a great tool. It has great speed controls and angle adjustments. You can even lock in the speed at 10 variable positions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
There's nothing wrong with using a router for cutting holes, But, I can easily cut a hole with a jigsaw and it throws up at hellavu lot less mdf dust than busting out a router.

I got 9 routers and their all setup for different tasks and one of them has a jasper circle jig for when accuracy counts, but, I can get the same accuracy cutting a hole with a jigsaw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9938
thats too expensive for me to be spending on a jigsaw. its now like i make boxes everyday. lol.

i am looking for something in the 40-50 dollar range that will do a good job.

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1484
Go to the Swap Meet Chad. You might even look in the Recycler for a used one.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9072
hey Mix thats the same saw I have:-) I love it:-):-):-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9939
yeah i guess i need to go to the swap meet. lol.

nice james. dewalt is awesome. i have the drill and i love it. i just don't use a jigsaw that much so that is why i am looking for something cheaper.

Silver Member

Post Number: 803
pawn shops dude...

Platinum Member

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10598
every sub box u make u gonna need to cut a hole so u might as well get a good strong jigsaw -
$50 new wont get u much better than that B&D u have now ,maybe a craftsman\skil

but personally i would spend the 100bux & get something really good like dewalt or the milwaukee brand which i personally prefer over dewalt ......

Gold Member

Post Number: 9948
yeah rovin. good idea.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Chad,

Buy a cheap craftsman jigsaw or better yet find a sears repair outlet and buy a refurb'd jigsaw.

Honestly, for alittle more money, buy a decent jigsaw, ya don't need to spend $ 100.00 for jigsaw if your only using once in awhile.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9954
phil check your email man.

i think ima get a new blade for the current jigsaw i have and try it out. it is just so weak though.

here are some pics of my jig saw.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10599
^^^^ omg dude ! - did u get that in a museum of something ,thats 1 old antique of a jigsaw -lol...

u most def need a new 1 ....

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 3300
I wouldn't count the older tools out though. Ppl still using 20 year old tools are donig so for a reason. They built them to last back then. All metal housing means it took years of abuse. Even most of your best brands today use plastic. I would still retire that puppy and opt for one with at least a variable speed.

Green paint. Hahahahah

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Chad,

I really think it's time you bought a " NEW " jigsaw dude.

While I can appreciate that older power tools for their lasting abilities, a cheap new jigsaw will run circles around that.

And I did get your e-mail, I 'll have a reply back to ya by late Monday.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9955
cool phil.

well rovin i got that jigsaw off of ebay for $20 shipped. rofl. i should of got something better.

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1492
Personally,

I am the type that likes to make things easy for myself, and have aquired a taste for things that fit or work without compromise.

I used my dads old black and decker jig saw when I first started out. When I realized that the jig saw is a fine tool; I went out to buy one that did what it is supposed to do "fine/articulate cuts".

I chose the Dewalt because it was built rugged, had decent features such as variable speed, speed lock, orbital features, etc... Sure there may be better jig saws out there, but for the money I felt that it would suit my box building needs and other misceleneous jobs as well.

I m not tryin to sell you a Dewalt Chad, I think you can build excellent boxes with that jig saw you have, but when you use that Dewalt, you will appreciate the difference.

Silver Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 129
I just bought this one http://www.skilshop.com/saws/jigsaws/4680-04.html..havent used it yet..no time to build boxes but i feel tempted to cut things that im not supposed to just to test it lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10012
i think with the money i need to spend on a jigsaw and wood, ima have phil build me another box. his craftmaship is just too awesome. besides i sent him a flawless design for my box.

the antique jigsaw i have does the job for little things so i can still use that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us