Colder Air in a vehicle = more SPL ???...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10545
I saw this question being asked in another forum so i thought i'd put it here to see what u guys say

>>>>>>>>
How would in car temperature affect sound output?

For cars competing in SPL type competitions, would they be able to set higher dB figures if they were to compete with their AC on? (ignoring the extra load the AC will place on the car's electrical system). My theory is that sound waves will travel faster and more efficiently through cold dense air than hotter, less dense air..

i did notice in some of the local iasca shows (in my country) competitors showing up with a/c full blast (u can see the condensation on the glass)
i myself dont know 4 sure but i should think it would def keep their amps/equipment/subs coils etc coiler perhaps enhancing d total output ??? ......}}

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10547
......or could be a simple thing as the owner\s were feeling warm (since its kinda hot here sometimes) & they had their a/c on to cool them & not really their audio stuff ? .....

Silver Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 210
Remember your basic science rules though. A gas is a gas because the heat causes particals to move faster. Solids are solids because the particals aren't heated enough to move. I know waves and particals are two different things, but would they behave the same? We need a physist here.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4249
I have heard that is good for up to 0.2dB sometimes.

Actually...as it gets colder, sound travels slower.
Your cars resonance freq may change +/- 1hz also.

Bronze Member
Username: Brady_f

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 84
Makes sense in a way though... kinda like a cold air intake for a car.

More air=more hp

has to relate some how

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4250
Lil something to think about:

50hz wavelenght
-22.8ft @ 80degree F
-22.14ft @ 50degree F

>>>At 50*F, a 48.5hz wave would have the wavelength of at 50hz wave at 80*F.

>>>Your peak freq will be lower w/ colder air.

>>>Higher frequencies carry more energy.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 658
colder air is more dense and can be pushed around easier and with greater force

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 167
^ ^ Was just fixin to mention that sound travels better and faster through a more dense mediums, not to mention the amp and batt usually operate better in cold weather. But on the other hand, an increase in heat would increase pressure inside. Now, with the AC running, thre will be more air at a lower pressure, then when excited in some whay, it will expand, contrubuting to a higher pressure. .. . . do what you want with that

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

15 Orion H2 powered by..., 4 15 IDSPL &... 15 INCH WANGERS

Post Number: 605
"Makes sense in a way though... kinda like a cold air intake for a car."
lol sorry but in no way does combustion relate to sound waves. I could see from rovins standpoint of keeping the equipment cooler that it would help.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1035
Well you could use air temp to fine tune the resonant frequency for maximum output.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 881
I just use a fire exstinguisher and blast it off inside my car before I compete, no one can tell!!!!

(wonder if it would actually do anything)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2387
Colder air would yield greater spl over hot air. There is a difference between sound pressure and air pressure. A given volume of hot air when heated will expand BUT it becomes less dense thus requiring less force (BL) to move it but higher frequencies to move any given amount of it. Now a given amount of cold air will have a greater density and require a higher force to move it But can move the same amount of air with a lower frequency. This said, a person with a box tuned to a lower frequency could obtain a higher spl on a cold day as long as he had the power to move it. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4166
yea, I have to agree with Polo. Sound pressure and air pressure are 2 different things.

Besides, the AC drinking all your current down, I dont think the colder air will affect SPL too much... Like Marshall said maybe .2 tenth.... MAX, perfect situation...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us