Ditched my Crown Vic for a new car!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 475
a new used car that is....lol...it's a 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 4.7 Litre V8...anyways couple questions...

-Does anyone know a link where i can look at the specs of my cars alternator?

-It's got the "premium" sound upgrade already with infinity speakers with the external amp under the back seat. I was pleasantly surprised with the SQ of these speakers so i think i'll leave em be for now and upgrade in the future if i feel the need...i'd like to put my arsenal 12s in back with maybe a kicker kx1200 and then ditch the cd player for a pioneer premier HU...

...on a thread from a few days ago i think ppl were talking about some potential wiring problems with these "premium sound" systems in the JGC...anyone know of any problems i might run into??

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 223
u can go to autozone.com or sum site like that and type in ur car and search for an alt replacement and there should be a stock one

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
blah can't find it there...typed in make and model and it comes up with a specific one it reccomends but then it doesn't even let you look at specs like the amperage...TY tho.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 151
Yea dude i have a 2000 Cherokee Limited with the Infinity system. ahha I know you're gonna jam, and I can almost guarentee you that your front left speaker will blow out....sounds random, but it prolly will...Umm you should have no problem wiring the HU, i also have a premier, it took about 6 minutes haha...the onyl thing is, if you isntall a speaker amp, you'd have to either run all new speak wire, OR do it like i did, cut the wires at the amp under the back seat, and extedn all the wires from there with about eight 5-foot lengths of speak wire to the new amp and its pretty much piggybacked off the stock amp although it will have no wires going to it...BUT if you ever sell the car and take out your stuff then all you need to do is reconnect the wires and reconnect the speaks, but no you shouldnt really have problems..lemme know if you understand that haha, the wordnig could be confusing, but the idea is pretty simple

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN From the fir...

Post Number: 306
call jeep:
Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
Continental Time Zones
they should have them, or should be able to get them for you

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 232
That's the car I want to get Now I'll have another reference when I get mine lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
okay bear with me Cal i'm far from expert when it comes to installs...when you said "if you install a speaker amp" you were referring to the kx1200 for the woofers right?? cuz the infinity speakers already have their amp...and with the wiring you're just saying that the speaker amp would be connected to the HU/battery, and then the big amp for the woofers would just go through the little speaker amp...is that right?

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1176
damn u. man ive been lookin at 99-00 since my car got wrecked. I've finaly found a 02 Grand Cherokee Limited ima check out soon, also has the infinity sound system. I'm not lookin forward to dealin with all that again like i had to with BOSE in the lac.

Sweet ride tho man, i love em. Is urs teh limited or laredo?

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
Ben i already love mine...my interiors fully loaded power everything...HEATED LEATHER SEATS OMG FTW...also very cool is the FULL SIZE spare tire in a hidden compartment UNDER the trunk floor so it takes up no space...awesome

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
decked out laredo

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 152
when i said speaker amp, i meant 4 channel...IF YOURE NOT PLANNING TO GET NEW SPEAKS, IGNORE THIS...if youre only puttin subs in, you can pretty much not read any of this, but read on just for shits and giggles if ya want. sorry about caps, but i didnt want to waste you time..

when i said a speaker amp, i meant a 4 channel speaker amp....heres my setup....0/1 gauge run to my trunk into a stinger distribution block. 4 gauge to my 4 channel amp, 4 channel to my mono amp, and 4 to my capacitor. i used the 4+ 4- stock speaker wires already running to my stock amp in conjunction with a new 4 channel.If you're not planning on getting new speakers any time soon, ignore what i said....BUT if you are, youll need to get a new 4 channel amp, because new speaks on a stock amp will sound bad. AND stock infinity speakers are 2 ohm impedance believe it or not, and the only other 2 ohm speaks i know off the top of my head, are kappas, but i still think it wont sound good running new speaks off the stock amp..

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 153
sorry if im not makin any sense dude, im tryin, but im so great with words and everything, haha bear with me

New/old HU + Stock system = good
new/old HU + stock amp + new speaks = bad
new/old HU + new amp + new speaks = good
new HU + new amp + new speaks = post pics ahah

good luck dude, enjoy the jeep, save money for gas, i only have the 4.0L I-6 and it drinks gas like its its job

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
yeah i'm just gonna plug in my arsenals, an amp for em, a new HU and take it from there...if a speaker blows like you predicted or i'm bored with the sound quality then yeah i'll look into upgrading.

far as the gas goes i know whatchya mean...my CVPI was a 4.6L V8...probly got a lil better than my jeep will since the jeeps 4 wheel drive

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 159
yea but dude haha you cannot beat the 4wd in the snow....all other kids i know are like why do you have a jeep, yuo coulda gotten a cool sports car, and then i just dominate them in the snow so its all good....but yea those aresenals will be loud as hell..what amp are you running

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
haven't bought an amp for em yet...i was thinkin a kicker kx1200 might be able to get by with stock electrics...whatchya think?

i mean i'd love to upgrade the alt and everything if i had the loot but since i just dropped a few G's tradin in for this car...only have money for the audio equipment.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 235
For all you guys that have a JGC...did any of you do the Big 3 yet? If so, how many feet of wire did you use? If not, since you have the car could you estimate for me? Also, how many feet of power wire did you run to the back of the car as well? Thanks...I appreciate it!

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2141
ur gonna need a big currrent draw to see a differnce with a big 3

i had an ednine.1 runnin in a jeep and the lights didnt even dim...

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 250
Did you upgrade the alternator or your running that off of all stock?

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
i forget how many watts does the ednine.1 do??

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2890
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=44

1200 at 1
900 at 2
450 at 4

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
<3 u

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2892

lol

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 164
blaine was runnin it all stock, even when he had the nine.1 and trip diamonds with a new HU and all new speaks, and his lights didnt dim at ALL

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 113
u think ill need to upgrade my Alt. if i get the amp Yanks fan suggested me and two 12" L7s?

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2897
raymond...the hifonics 1606?

whats the size of your alt now?

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 114
i have no idea and yeah the hifonics 1606 its a stock 1994 Jetta III but it handled the 749 watt rms SPL amp i had with no problem but this would be almost double the watts so i dont know?

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2899
i dunno, 1500rms off a stok alt will probably be too much...go ahead and make a new thread with that question. probabl would need a new alt or just a batt...im honestly not sure.
new thread time...lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us