Best Amp Wiring Option

Username: Nicoletompson8

Roseville, Ca USA

Post Number: 4
Hi Guy's

I am installing 2 kicker zx1000.1's in my trunk to run my two 12's. I don't run my system that much with the engine off, so I'm pretty sure I wont need a deep cycle bat. I know if I ran two seperate power wires from the amps to the bat. it would work. Allthough would it also be fine if I took a single 1/0 wire and Y'ed it at the amps so each would have there own power wire? Thanks for any help!

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 361
Yep, both ways would work. You can use a distrobution block to Y off your 1/0 wire and you can run 2 AWG to your amps from there if you want. Similar question and answers on MP3car.com.

Username: Nicoletompson8

Roseville, Ca USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks Darek, that helped out alot! Allthough I have one more question. Do I want to hook up a seperate fuse for eack amp power wire running out of the distribution block or do I just want to set a fuse at the begining of the postive bat. terminal? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 364
Again, that's something that's up to you. I've seen both but in my opinion you don't hurt anything by having more protection and honestly it's just a good idea to have separate fuses for both amps. I mean, I've got some cathodes installed in my car that pull all of .7 amps per pair and I've got each one of them fused seperately along with the main power line, it just makes sense to build in as much protection from fire and overload as you can. You'll obviously want to fuse the main line just after your bat, but then I'd definately fuse each line out of the block as well and some blocks come with fuses built in anyway. Good luck with the install.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us