How to get a 18v Capacitor to work with 12v!?

Username: Will_bmw8691

Montebello, California USA

Post Number: 2
I recently bought a 18v Tsunami 10 Farad capacitor and want to know how to get it working with 12 volts.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1691
It is 12 volt. the 18 is the surge voltage. It will take 18volt surges breifly. Like if you were doing Burbs off battery racks.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 947
Depending on your amp(s) you may want to adjust it down a little bit as well if you can..

Post Number: 3
well i found out its not an 18v but the working voltage is 16. i connected it last night around 4am and went to bed, woke up, went outside like 11 and it was still on.? would it still be charging even though its not enough volts?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1121
"Turn it down" Killa??
How exactly is that done?

Will, you can use a bazillion volt cap if you want.
It will only charge to the highest voltage supply available -- your alternator.

Not sure why it would still be on after sitting overnight.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 961
well... optidriven.. i never really messed with caps much but the pos PA cap i had went up to 18V on my stock charging system and i had to turn it down with the regulator on it, but it was also supposed to me a 12-24V cap so i wast sure if it just naturally increases your voltage or what i didnt think that was the case but from how that cap reacted it looked like it but i took it out and found the sounds sounded better..

as for it staying on.... check the remote wire on to make sure its not touching the + terminal or somthing) it if its staying on would probally be killing your power very slowwly

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1122
I don't know much about caps either, but apparently those dials some caps have are just to calibrate the display to the car's voltage. I guess those meters can only measure change, not the actual value.

The actual voltage of the cap can only go as high as the alternator.

Post Number: 4
well, this is the latest story, my car battery volt meter is now showing that my battery has a surplus, the instead of 12V it now has 14V. but my capacitor won't turn off, even if i put a remote on it, when is it gonna go?>

Post Number: 5
well, this is the latest story, my car battery volt meter is now showing that my battery has a surplus, the instead of 12V it now has 14V. but my capacitor won't turn off, even if i put a remote on it, where is it gonna go?>

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1703
Caps dont have a remote terminal. It maybe that it just stays on. Like you said. In the morn, it was 11 volts. Thats with car off right? Check what the battery is as well with car off. Adjust cap to reflect the same voltage. Turn car on. Bat should be near 14 or so. cap should now read 14 or so. I know my digital cap pops on and off as voltage changes overnight. dut the voltage to light the caps display is miniscule and would take a few weeks to drain a battery. Your display may be on always due to thats the way it was designed. Why dont you post a link to that cap. The manufacurer may have some info on thier site.

Post Number: 6
its a Tsunami, they have no info on that cap.

http://tsunamionline.com/product.php?id=58
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us