Blown 12" sony explode sub

Username: Elliot_54

Post Number: 1
hey i'm new to the whole blowing subs thing but I'm not sure what the hell happened. I only have 500 watts going to three subs two jd audio 8's and one sony xs-l120p5w but the other day it all three made a popping noise and then that was it. the music wasn't up not even half way can someone tell me what happened. the other two subs are perfectly fine and ive even got them working again so the amp and the two are still good.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3374
because they r xplode's and they explode another words they suk

Bronze Member
Username: Tinytruck

Duluth, Ga US of A

Post Number: 37
well one of your probs is the sony xplod the speaker is well....junk. check your wiring ( ground, positive and negative speaker terminal, check the ohm load make sure they are the samefor the 8's and the 12.... you can also blow a speaker by underpowering it ive heard!

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7762
i think you have set your gain too high. you might of clipped it to death.

Stevensville, Montana

Post Number: 2
by underpowering it can damage it. wow. well i've checked the ground and pos connections and they're good the 8's dont have any info on them i'm not even sure the ohm load or how to find it? But the amp puts out 4 and the sub is good at 4, but it is def blown cause i can hear it scrape when i push in on it. what would be a good replacemant sub for the 12 i can get some pump subs but i'm not sure what they are or what they can do. any help

Stevensville, Montana

Post Number: 4
i did have the gain up to .3 but why would the 12 b damaged and the 8's not?

Bronze Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 99
because xplode is one of the worst speakers ever made

whats ur budget for a new sub and what amp do u have

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 7804
exactly, JL makes a great quality sub while the sony.........well it's name suites it nicely. What was the ohm configurations of the 8's and the 12? what amp were they on? and how did you have 3 subs wired up? was it a 4 chan amp and the 8's bridged on 2 chan and the 12 bridged on the other? were all wired parr/parr togehter to a 2 chan or mono amp?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3376
james i think u might have confused him. alright buddy look at it this way this was a learning experience because now your on this amazing site. So now you can learn everything u ever wanted to know about car audio and then some. If you want a new system we will help you out with everything. you just have to tell us what you are looking for and then how much money you have to spend on stuff. but dont think car audio is cheap because its not so dont say oh i have 300 to spend on everything lol because not much u can do with 300

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2217
by the way elliot underpowering it will not damage it, if this was the case when ever you turn your music down your subs would blow.

sounds like your gains were set to high and you sent the sub a dirty signal

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, USA

Post Number: 2505
SONY BLOWS lolololol hope u guys got the pun

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 361
good 1 driving, its new...

lol jp <3

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 7818
utt ohhh matt that exact statement started one of the best threads ever on this forum a while back. About blowing subs with too little power. If anyone has that please post it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us