Help! My 4ch amp is cutting in and out!!!! :-(

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 106
Ok, I checked all my wiring and it's all correct. I have a pioneer premier 860mp with a Infinity Reference 7541a (4 ch amp) Well, i can go to about 17 for my volume out of 50 something, once i reach 17 or around there my amp starts clipping. I tried a different radio and it does the same thing. i was thinking it could be my amp ( but ruled that out since i got it tested at a shop 4x) so could it be my ground wire? They guy at the shop said it was good, but cut it shorter and it still clips. No, i'm not a newbie I don't have the gain all the way up, i even tried with the gain all the way down. Any ideas would be appreciated thankyou :-) And i have all the speakers on a different ch if that helps none are bridged, actually my rear channels went out while i was testing everything. :-( I just had this amp fixed yesterday too.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 7732
sounds like you are shorting out somewhere. I had this happen to me one time and what happened was when I put the radio back in one of the wires hit the metal frame and stripped back to bare wire and was shorting out once I got to about 1/2 volume. It was grounding out on the chasis. The thing is it was only grounding out my 4 chan amp not my sub amp so maybe this could have happened to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
crap, well i'll try changing the ground wire later today. I'm hoping that's it b/c i tested the amp in the store and it doesn't clip at all. I also used another radio and it still clips. so all that's left is the ground right? They ran different wire too, but didn't seem to help :-( Perhaps my amp is grounding out on the chassis b/c i do have it under my seat. I use to have a 2 ch amp and it was in the same place (a lot smaller) and it didn't do it. It couldn't be b/c my stock wires are screwed could it? It's a real pain in the butt having to put my radio back in b/c I have a LOT of wires. Ok, i'll go try some stuff later thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 725
maybe your gain is too high????????? set it correctly perhaps if it is and see what happens

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 7740
I doubt highly that its the gain. He is deff shorting something out. it didnt do it untill you screwed everything down right? thats where you went wrong then a screw had to have gone through a wire somewhere. Thats what I would think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
i already tried keeping it to 0 and still cuts out this is annoying have more power but not being able to use it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
ok, well i did forget to add this, the amp did smoke yesterday but the shop tested it 4x and said nothing wqas wrong, it did NOT clip while we tested it in the store. But being under my seat i'm probably shorting it out on the seat chassis. Later i'm going to try grounding to a different spot and moving the amp from under the seat.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 7741
yeah that should be a start, it is never good to have a smoking amp, or any piece of electronics for that matter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us