1 ohm amp

Bronze Member
Username: Luttrell31

Post Number: 50
What all companies make good 1 ohm stable amplifers. Budget about $250 looking for about 800 watts or so.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3438
check the thread called "optidriven" if you dare to buy that amp, that would be a sweet deal.

On the other hand is hifonics,the bx 1205D should do the job.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 85
I would go with the Hifonics. Most of Hifonics amps are one ohm stable and are a great price. I have had no problems with the two I currently have or the others in the past. The only problem is they are about 70% efficient. So if it is 1000 watts rms - it is actually only 700 watts rms. Just keep that in mind when searching the hifonics you need SO you can overcompensate for the 30% loss of efficiency. That is what juliob has done for you. Since you asked about a one ohm stable amp, we can assume that is the impedence you will be running, and you need 800 watts rms so you need 1100 but the Hifonics BX1205D is perfect, giving extra 100 watts for voltage drop at high volumes and high current draw. I totally agree with juliob on this one.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 19
Even tho people on these forums dog both brands all day long, Hifonics and ma audio both make damn decent 1 ohm stable amps in that price range

Bronze Member
Username: Imalik

Jackson, New Jersey Ocean

Post Number: 33
Jerome is right...I have a BXI 1206d with 2 12 CVR and the amp gives them all they can handle, very good amp for the price. They give you a 1 year warranty frome the site I had the 1205 for 6 mons board went bad and they sent me the 1206 http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16367

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Well I also had a 1206d and it worked great and everything but then it went bad, sure I got it replace but if they keep going bad under warranty which I have heard a lot about it is still 20-30 bucks a pop for warranty. My question is if I get another one is it going to go bad too.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1735
I'm selling this.. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/for-sale/292446.html

Bronze Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 57
I bought the MA Audio HK401SX, and it has surprised the heck out of me. I consistently use Orion/Directed products, and while my amp is being repaired, I took a chance and bought this amp, it is very underrated. I think it is about 70+% efficient with it's power ratings. I like the fact that I can run my amp all day, and it won't overheat due to the built-in fans. I have had it for just over a month now, and it has served it's purpose very well down to one ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 20
I have that same amp, and for the amount I paid for it, it's awesome.
I dig the voltage-meter, thermometer, and cooling fan. Plus it dumps, and it's stable any way you wire it. I paid $220 for it, and I am still stoked.

Same features in a fosgate or kicker amp would have me paying over a g.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 59
yeah, the built in features in the display are very sleek. Let's you know the temp, when the bass hits and voltage....Not too many companies will offer anything like that in it's price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3472
quintin do you know if that MA puts 1000w rms+ at 1 ohm???

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 324
"The only problem is they are about 70% efficient. So if it is 1000 watts rms - it is actually only 700 watts rms."

"efficient" isnt the right word.

They put out roughly 80-85% of their rated power.

"Even tho people on these forums dog both brands all day long, Hifonics and ma audio both make damn decent 1 ohm stable amps in that price range"

Yes, they are decent amps. The reason why most people here hate them is because they have a HIGH FAIL RATE. BAD BUILD QUALITY. PERFORM BELOW RATED SPECS. That is why they are only recommended for a tight budget.

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
As for good 1-ohm stable amps, eD NINe.1. $315 shipped to lower 48 if you find the product code I posted in the subwoofer section a few months back.

Short review/test on Nine.1:
"Equipment used.

1 Nine.1
Installed in my 97 Nissan pickup.
stock 60A alternator
2 old yellow tops

My RF 8240 feeding a 2.1v None-Clipped input signal with the gains on the Nine.1 maxed out. Bass Boost at 0, crossover and subsonic filter turned to the highest and lowest settings respectively. 60Hz tone was used for all testing since this is where most Dmm's will read VAC most accurately.

Test equipment used was:

Fluke 31 True Rms Clamp AC Ammeter
Craftsman Pro 82357 Tru Rms Dmm
Craftsman cheapo Dmm for voltage and verification purposes.
Leader O-Scope

The amp surprised me in that it is nearly twice as heavy as my db1100's. I was not expecting that at all. The terminals are very classy, though i would prefer the speaker terminals were a little larger to make it easier to fit 8ga in. I was able to get 8ga in however, it just took a little work. A very minor complaint at best. The controls were fairly simple and i like the remote gain knob quite a bit with power and protection indicators included on the unit. The remote gain knob was NOT used for this test however.

Install was very simple as i ran 2 1' sections of 8ga each for power and ground and used 8ga speaker wire to run the amp to 2 kicker 10L7d2s to a 1/2 ohm load rated.

After about 3 dozen 1 sec burps to get the feel for the amp and the massive array of multimeter leads all over and how to read them all at once while working the radio etc and after warming the subs up quite considerably as well as draining my poor batteries.

The test results are in.

A
38.77Vac
30.27Amps
1.28 ohm load in box @60hz
1173.5 Watts RMS with the batteries at 10.9v

B
37.8Vac
30.1A
1.2 ohms
1137wrms with batteries at 10.1V

The numbers here unfortunately reflect greatly that the batteries had been toasted by this point. The best charger we had was a 6A charger and my little 60A alt was doing its best to recharge round after round of burps, but it was clearly not up to the job. I was quite impressed though that this amp took the low voltage with no trouble at all and still put out those numbers. It is clearly time for me to replace my 2 5yr old yellow tops however.

So, calculate an average of 10% increase for each volt gained, and you will find that these numbers look much much better

Test A at 13.7v would have read approx 1501w @ 1.28 ohms

Test B at 13.7v would have read approx 1547w @ 1.2 ohms

I am extremely pleased with this amplifier's performance. It never got hot, barely got warm at all as a matter of fact. It never once went into protect mode from low voltage or any other reason. The spl competitor in my appreciated that there was no protection hiccup, the amp had no trouble burping at all and was easily rolled up to max output without shutting off or popping or anything else for that matter. I didnt find a single flaw whatsoever in the performance of the amp. It had no turn on pop, no noise, nothing that shouldnt have been there. When compared to my db1100 on the exact same setup, the nine.1 was much stronger without a doubt, though i had no spl meter to do a heads up comparo with them.

Overall I am quite surprised by how well this amplifier handled the test and all of the abuse i put it through and it passed all of them with flying colors. I give the Nine.1 an A+. Congrats Ben and the team at ED on one knockout product."

Enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
Coupon Code: EDB91

Gold Member

Post Number: 3479
^^^^that's an interesting post

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 82
no juliob, that MA audio only puts out about maybe 750-800w rms @ 1ohm. I don't have my laptop so I can't do an actual bench test on it. I have compared it to that Orion 2400D....The Orion amp is of course much louder, but the MA HK401SX will really surprise you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Does anyone know ma audios home page.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us