1995 Mercury Cougar HU Install Problem

Username: 95king_cougar

Quad Cities, Iowa/Illinois United States

Post Number: 1
I have been trying to install my new Pioneer HU into my mercury cougar. I searched these forums and found a base radio wiring diagram for my car. The speaker wire sides colors match, but the other part of the harness(ground,power,etc.) does not match what's in my car. My car has a factory (Ford Dolby)am/fm tape player and a factory (Ford/Sony Inc.)10 disc fm mod cd changer.Crutchfield does not have this option. I hook up my pioneer and it turns on and spins the disc,can cycle through all the menus,but there is no sound or even static from the speakers. I know the cd player is good tested in my friends car.My factory HU worked before and after trying to install the pioneer so the cars wiring is good. I'm thinking maybe a factory amp is what the problem is, but I can't locate one in my trunk. A correct wiring diagram and some opinions would be greatly appreciated.Upload

Okay I'm going to attempt to get this image to post,it's how my wiring is. A and B that go to radio, plug into my factory radio/or the scosche harness(which wires up to pioneers harness). The wiring diagram I found is for a base radio 95-97 cougar. This diagram matches on B (which is the speaker wires) but does not match the colors of A (I assume power ground constant etc...). C and D connect to each other(I have no clue what these are for and not mentioned in the diagram).Also after the harnesses B and C run in the same sleeve, A and D run in a seperate sleeve(By sleeve I mean a plastic tubing to protect the wires and keep them neat).All the wires on D have 3 colors.

My scosche harness wires to A like this**N/A means these wires do not go through to pioneer
12 volt constant--Green/Purple
Dimmer-----------Black/Purple(N/A)
12 volt switched--Yellow/Black
Dimmer-----------Red/Black(N/A)
Illumination-------Orange/Black(N/A)
Ground-----------Red
Pwr Antenna------Orange/Black(N/A)
System Remote---Pink/Red(N/A)I have tryed this both ways didn't make a differance

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3148
dos your aftermarket harness have a black and grey plug, if so the grey harness has a blue amp turn on wire, that gets hooked to the pioneer harness, amp turn on not the power antenna wire.

Post Number: 2
Like this Pineer HU<-->Pioneer Harness->Scosche harness<-->cars harness.
Yeah the scosche harness is black(speakers) and gray(power ground 12v constant etc..).What I labeled system remote is the amp turn on wire it's blue with a white stripe and wires to the Pink/Red wire on (A) in the picture. I've tryed with this wire hooked up and not hooked up. Neither make a difference.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3149
the factory amp turn on wire is dark blue in the factory wire harness, make sure the schorse wire harness that has the wire that matches up to the dark blue wire is connected to the pioneer amp tun on wire.

Post Number: 3
Still no luck and I don't have a dark blue wire.Also tryed hooking it to C with the amp turn on wire going to the light green wire, and then tryed it going to the black wire.Neither worked.Btw my scosche harness is not represented in the pic, just the wires in my dash.

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

PIMP Member, Yokosuka, Ka...

Post Number: 929
may I help you?

Post Number: 4
@Jenifer Contreras
Please do, but I think I may have figured it out. Won't know till I try though. I'll post here after I give it a go.

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

PIMP Member, Yokosuka, Ka...

Post Number: 943
ok,you let me know it!
and
good luck!

Post Number: 5
I'm a huge tard. It was a blown speaker.All speakers worked with my factory HU including the one that was blown. And no sound at all from any speaker with the pioneer. So replaced the speaker and bam everything working now.Lol, Can't believe I didn't figure that out sooner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us