Copper bolts?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3150
I am going to be building my enclosure soon and i dont want to use terminal cups. i want to have bolts straight through the MDF but i want copper bolts for better conductivity. anybody know where i can get soem copper bolts, nuts, and washers?

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Currently residing in ..., Oregon USA

Post Number: 465
why dont you just direct connect? Just run the wires from the subs through a small hole in the box to the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

AudioqueUSA

Post Number: 2252
Have you looked at your local hardware store?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7213
direct connection and solder is the best.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3151
i think its unprofessional/ ghetto. having the VCs run to bolts on the box give you the opertunity to switch up wiring easily and cleanly. That is how professionals do it in big time comps as well, well at least from what I've seen.

maybe i will get terminal cups, rip the connectors out from the cup, and caulk them into the MDF cleanly.... but i know there has to be someplace that sells copper bolts or even copper screw down connectors (like the things on amps)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4016
lol, thats a good place to look ^^^

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7214
google!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4017
i dont think direct connect i ghetto. it gives you the best conductivity

and are you lookng for just a copper bolt? what will that do you for when hooking everything up?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 3706
i use normal steal 1/4" bolts...they have never let me down.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3152
I checked home depot, that is my local hardware store lol.

I want to do it the same way marshall has his hooked up. but i was hoping on getting my hands on copper because i read (on audioques site i think) that coppers conductivity is far supior to using any other metal (besides the obvious gold and such). are those stainless steal bolts you have marshall?

thanks for the help guys.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4019
either bolts will give you really good conductivity. if anything, it wont give you a notible loss in output or anything

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1902
It is how you look at it. I live in Chicago and we direct connect, has nothing to do with looks being ghetto. In all actuallity we would say people from Tampa being ghetto so wouldn't making it clean looking defeat the purpose, LMFAO.. :-O

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3158
well when you dont direct connect it gives you the opertunity to change the wiring. once you seal those wires, thats it lol.

how do you like your first walmart btw? lol

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Currently residing in ..., Oregon USA

Post Number: 467
it doesnt seal the wires. heres a couple pics. I have my wires running through a tube and sealed from the inside. i can take the wires out whenever i want. That is my old box in the picture. I took the wires and put them in my new box. see the black stuff....That pushes up against the box and seals the hole.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3159
i used to do something like that....

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 6809
i like to connect direct. i hate terminal cups.

the copper bolt idea is good trevor. i might try that if i can find some copper bolts.

btw since we are on this subject. does the bolts with zinc on it have conductivity? i think its called zinc. it could be something else. i just can't think of the name right now. i've seen some bolts at home depot with some sort of special coating.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1907
First Walmart was Arkansas not Florida and we have had them here for a very long time. Now the best one I have been to was the one in Pompano on Atlantic, BIG MOFO for sure! You know all you have to do is unscrew the direct connected wires from the amp, bit easier them removing them from a bolt/ring setup. The amount of resistance that the Zinc plating on the bolts would have is negligable unless you were putting out several KV, that my friend would take a lightening strike, lol. Terminal cups make a box look like a prefab box and are meant for flea market sh!t, JMHO..Polo. :-O

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3161
Polo, what are you talking about chicago just got its first walmart lol.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7237
In 1962, four new retailers were born. One called Kmart was started in Garden City, Michigan, another called Target was started in Minneapolis, another from Woolworth, the big name in retailing at the time, called Woolco was started, and the final one in rural Rogers, Arkansas, called Wal-Mart. Thirty years later, Woolco had met its demise and one of the other two was the largest retailer in the country. Surprisingly, the top retailer was the one from Arkansas.
Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart:
"Here's what makes me laugh today: it would have been absolutely impossible to convince anybody back then that in thirty years most all of the early discounters would be gone, ... that the one to fold up would be Woolco, and that the biggest, most profitable one would be the one down in Arkansas. Sometimes I even have trouble believing it." (Walton, 49)
Wal-Mart has ended its fiscal year. Throughout the fiscal year (starting last February) Wal-Mart has done over $128,138,000,000 in sales (Newsroom). The secret to the company's success is simple. Wal-Mart combined many obvious ideas to form a loyal base of customers and associates that built the company from its conception to today.
In 1945, Sam and Helen Walton moved to Newport, Arkansas to breathe life into an old Ben Franklin store. It had been doing poorly and was in need of new ownership. Sam Walton was just the man for the job. It opened on the first of September, 1945. When it came time to add up the profits and order more goods and all the other things involved with running a store, Walton followed all the rules laid out by the franchise program. However, it did not take him long to start experimenting. After a while, he had started buying directly from manufacturers, not from Butler Brothers (the company that ran the franchise program). For instance, one manufacturer's agent name Harry Weiner would get an order from Walton, pass it on to a manufacturer and take five percent of the deal for himself. This was very good for Walton because Butler Brothers would take twenty-five percent for themselves from every purchase. With the combination of low prices from Harry and his low commission, Walton was able to pass savings on to his customers. However, this drove Ben Franklin crazy. Walton says that the only reason they did not outright stop him from doing this was because he had turned the store from one of the worst ones in the district to one of the top performers. This experience taught Walton much of what he would use later in starting Wal-Mart.
After five years of unbounded success, however, Walton's dream came to an end. In the beginning of it all, Walton had only purchased a five-year lease on the store. The landlord refused to renew the lease at any price. The Waltons found themselves without a store and without a town. They eventually decided to move to Bentonville, Arkansas, a town of 3,000 people. Walton opened up a 4,000 square foot store on the town square. That site today contains the Wal-Mart Visitor's Center. Walton had big plans for this store. He bought an adjacent barber shop and knocked out the wall separating it from the store to give himself more room. Having heard about new self-service stores in Minnesota, Walton traveled by bus to personally visit the stores. It was this curiosity that garnered him new ideas concerning his stores. He set up the Bentonville store around the self-service idea. All the new stores opened by Walton had this feature. Walton had a sixth-sense about the future. He could always tell where things were going in retailing and would be the first one to implement those things into his stores.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1644
hey polo i know that super walmart in pompano and that thing is damn big

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1930
No no no the city of chicago did. You have to remember the burbs make up the bulk size of the city not the city itself. I have been going to Walmart since I was a kid. Sh!t I remember Woolworths too, they had penny candy and a petshop in the back, lol. You know there are sooo many people out there saying Walmart has destroyed towns, but I don't get it, they are producing decent paying jobs with benefits. They protested the one in Chicago because they said it would ruin the neighborhood, but the only people who are complaining are the jobless wonders to begine with! I think they are worried the unemployment office will make them fill out applications there for a J O B, lmfao... By the way, I have stopped shopping at my local stores, I get all my shopping done at either Walmart or Sam's club, even the one in Pompano right by Home Depot and the puppy store... :-O Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1156
Ditch copper if you can. Get gold plated if anything. Zinc is also called galvanized. Galvanization is a process that treats the metal so it resists rust, but it isnt rust proof. Copper gives birth to electrolisys when in contact with any other metal. I would stay away from copper if it were me. My advice is to go gold plated. It is your best conductor against corrosion.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1546
ya get gold plated. its not a better conducter, but it will stop the corrision like copper or silver.

if not u could easily just clean the copper ones every once in a while

Silver Member
Username: Devastation101

Post Number: 184
Hey Trevor, I don't know if this site will help or not, but try http://www.boltdepot.com/ My fiance's father orders from here when he does his woodwork projects.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1157
Im gonna use these for my box. Cheap, easy, can be found at any hardware store. has luc attached. will take 4 awg.

Upload

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3163
thanks again for the help guys!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us