Advantages of a larger / smaller box?

Bronze Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 92
If you have a sub that gives you a range of box sizes in the specs, what are the advantages / disadvantages of using a larger or smaller box?

For example, a DD 3515 can be used in a 3.0-4.5 cu.ft. box according to the specs. I am going to install 2 3515's, and the largest box I can fit would be 3.5 cu.ft. per sub. So what I need to know is what size between 3.0-3.5 cu.ft. per sub should I build my box? It will be ported at 40hz (the DD spec), and the goal is SQL.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2383
A bigger box pumps out:

1.louder

2.more bass

3.bass that is deeper and lower in frequency

4.bass that shakes and vibrates your car harder(it "feels" better and more intence)

5.the box volume recommended by the manufacturer's is always at least 2 times to small. So you should AT LEAST double the manufacturers recommended box size. Make the box at least twice the size that they say. They recommend smaller boxes because it sells more speakers and because THEY already decided and THEY dont think you need bass below 40 hertz!(talk about mood killers) All those technical woofer parameters like Vas and Qts is a pathetic way to measure the force generation potential of a woofer, furthermore they totally ignore the acoustic AIR FORCE LOAD.
This is the only 1 real measurement of importance anyway! Using those technical numbers without more data like trying to determine how fast a car or boat is by asking only 1 question; "how much horsepower does the motor have?" Anyone with a little common sense can tell you that you cant determine the top speed of a car or boat from only knowing just the horsepower. You also need more relevant data, like the wieght, the car or boat size, the shape, the wheels, the gear ratios, the torque, is the road flat or a mountain, ect.

6.A 10 inch woofer in a 2 cubic foot box will put out deeper bass than an 18 inch woofer in a 2 cubic foot box. This is because the 18 inch woofer is suffocating and choking in a box that is to small.

7. If you can do it invert your woofers. This means put them in the box "upside down" so the front of the cone fires into the box and the rear magnet sticks out of the box. This will make the inside of the box a little bigger, and then your woofer will be a little more relaxed and this means deeper bass and sometimes 1 to 4 decibels louder.

8.If your not interested in a killing people decibel level, and are more interested in awesome sound quality you can put the woofers in different size boxes. So for example say you have 4 cubic feet in total and 2 woofers, instead of putting each in a 2 cubic foot box, make one side 1 cubic foot and the other in a 3 cubic foot box, this will make the 1st woofer will better play the high pitched bass from 60 to 200 hertz, the other will better play the superdeep 20 to 50 hertz bass. This will happen automatically without any additional equalizers, crossovers or filters from your amplifiers. Your total db level will go down, but your sound quality will go way up. Even better would be to port tune the 2nd larger box from 18 to 26 hertz for that vibration bass. In general you can make 1 side from 2 times bigger or 3 times bigger than the other. So for example say you have X cubic feet in total, then the small side is X divided by 4 = (X/4) cubic feet, then the rest of the box is for the other woofer.

lilrob:-)

Silver Member
Username: Rvlacos

El Paso, T.X. United States

Post Number: 225
^^^wtf ok im confused as hell^^^

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7800
too bad he didn't write all that.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 227
lol

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4927
I would say some of what the original writer said is wrong...I dont believe for instance that factory recommended box sizes are undersized. Real life experience has shown me that..As a matter of fact sometimes the larger recommended box sizes are too big. From my experience the smaller box sizes are more controlled and have a nicer tonal quality to them but if to small dont hit the really low end well at all. The idea of different boxes sizes for each woofer sounds good to a point but only if set up right.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7822
seriously. now that i have read that. i wouldn't put a Mag in a 2.8 cubes sealed enclosure and throw 100wRMS on it...bad idea. lol

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7823
1000wRMS***

Gold Member

Post Number: 4929
what are you refering to muddy?

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 709
A smaller box is usually "tighter" :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4930
Rob...yes and better tone
muddy...amplifier power is a no brainer

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

BTLUSA

Post Number: 6595
depends on the car too. large boxes don't sound too good in a small car. at least it was for me in my case.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7826
i am referring to the fact that the maxumum sealed allotment for a 12" Mag is 1.4 cubes sealed. i wouldn't put a 12" Mag in a 2.8 cubes sealed box and throw recommended RMS wattage at it. :-)

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7827
oh, i am referring to the double or tiple the recommended box size comment you made against lilrobs post....sorry for the mixup

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

BTLUSA

Post Number: 6596
apology accepted muddy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4931
ok gotcha....didnt know anything bout the Mags

Gold Member

Post Number: 4933
oh trust me i didnt make a recommendation of double or triple box size....I know better than that

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7829
lol. i know you do.:-)

you better with 4933 posts. lmao!

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1144
Ok, Lilrob you impressed me with your writing skills. It looks more organized than before (numbered bullets...), and the spelling is a lot better, but for crying out loud, PLEASE STOP GIVING ADVICE.

Its not worth listing all the bad advice in your post. I just think that perhaps you may have taken in a lil too much during your last hit, so maybe you might be suffering from temporary lapse of reason, lol.. :-)

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7832
LMAO....i at first thought he didn't write that, but with the advice in it, maybe he did. lol

i am glad to see you frequenting the forums more often mixn, glad to have some vets back.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1145
Now regarding the question at hand;

"Advantages of a larger / smaller box?"

The larger the enclosure, the lower the air pressure inside the box. The lower the air pressure, the larger the wavelengths that may be created using a piston type driver. This means that you will get lower bass, and even louder output, but only up to a certain point, then it will work the other way.

The smaller the box, the higer the air pressure inside the box. The higher air pressure, the more controlled your driver will behave. It basicly helps improve driver compliance. It maintains sound quality. Smaller also allows the driver to be pushed to its full RMS where a larger box will bottom out a lot sooner and start to distort.

This is a comparison between larger and smaller using the same type of enclosure. As in using a large sealed box verses a small sealed box, or the same goes for a ported box as well.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7834
now here is the question of the day...

what is the largest you would go with a MAg with only 500wrMS....1.4??? 1.6???

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9706
what size mag???

12"-1.9

15"-2.4

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7836
12" Mag...sealed. baby

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9571
2 to 3 times go over - nah im highly skeptical

too overly large boxes will cause sub overexertion & almost sure sub damage/bottoming out without u giving it near full power

thing is manufacturers know MOST ppl dont want 2 lose trunk space so they give u a rec & max (they thinking along the lines of utilising a fair amt of space) - i mostly go by rec & if space available then i go by max rec or in between....just my opinion

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 910
i would only deviate from the manufacturers specs if

...i dont have enough power..then i would use a larger ported box than the rec. specs.

or

if i have 2 much power....then i would use a smaller sealed box than the rec. specs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
So would it be safe to put 1600w rms on a DD 3515 in a 3.5 cu.ft. box?

Silver Member
Username: Rvlacos

El Paso, T.X. United States

Post Number: 236
yes^

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7872
yes.:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Ok cool, thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 253
well, in my case i feel like my box is Huge, 5 cubic seems like a lot for 2 10'' arsenals. The plans that are drawn up are these but it seems a little large. would this be good for everyday listening, wide range from Hard rock to rap. I really like crisp sound more than SQL?

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 255
Just kidding....Kevin showed me what i was doing wrong i am an idiot. I get to start the box next week, woho!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us