I want to fool my Sony for my Ipod

Bronze Member
Username: Lottathought

Post Number: 19
I want to hook my Ipod up into my Sony head unit.
I have an Aux input...but as we all know...Sony will not let you just plug anything into that.
(You have to have a CD changer plugged into the pin input as well as the aux input)

In my searches, I have found that some people are selling plugs that will fool the headunit into thinking a CD changer is attached. Then you can plug in anything that you like into the aux input.
As these plugs are not powered, I am thinking that all they are really doing is jumpering the pins.

Does anybody have any idea of the pin layout in the Sony CD changer input in the back of their head units?
Furthermore...does anybody know how to jumper this to fool the head unit?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 1027
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=251650&I=127AUXONS

That's a very cheap solution, if I understand you correctly.

Ebay it for a better price..
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_nkw=Sony+Unilink+adapter

..and no, it isn't a non-powered adaptor, the head unit powers the chip on the opposite end of the adaptor, "tricking" the head unit into thinking it is connected to a CD Changer. It plugs into your stereo's CD Changer plug, and enables you to utilize the RCA Inputs on the back of the stereo itself.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hi Mick,
I saw that one..thanks.
I was not aware that it is powered. But since it sounds like you know a little about this...
Are you saying that one side of the plug powers the other side? If so..would a jumper not do the same job? What would be the drawback of simply just crossing the point that gives power with the point that needs to power to fool the head unit?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 265
Now, if there was only a way to fool the Sony into being an Eclipse.

:-)

Gold Member

MN United States

Post Number: 1051
The side opposite to that which plugs into the stereo has a small "box" which contains a chip that is coded to send a signal to the reciever and "tells" it that a cd changer is connected. By tell I mean it tricks the headunit into thinking it is connected to a cd changer.

The chip is powered by the head unit, power runs through it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks Mick...
You have been a huge help.
Looks like I will get getting that adapter off Crutchfield. I was debating between that and wireless. The upside to the wireless is that I can use it anywhere. I just simply have not heard anybody to date that really thinks wireless sounds good.

Gold Member

MN United States

Post Number: 1085
You might be able to get the part cheaper on ebay, but you won't have a return policy most likely.

Good luck! I hope everything works out great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Just an update...
I followed Mick's advice and bought the plug from Crutchfield.
I never was able to find one on ebay.
I am now glad that I got it from Crutchfield too. I worked with their customer service and it appears to be defective.
Crutchfield is supposed to have me a new one by the end of the week.
(That would have been a problem if bought on Ebay.)
(I always could get the one defective part in the pile..LOL)
I do not think that there is supposed to be an issue with getting this plug to work with my head unit or I would have hoped the CS rep would have said something.
(I have the Sony CDX-M610)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us